Apple online store opens in Mexico; AT&T mulls Android; more...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has followed up the launch of an online store in Portugal with one in Mexico. Meanwhile, AT&T is mulling a move to join Google's Android effort. And watch as Apple's public relations crew nearly pulls the plug on a television interview that begins to stray off course.

Apple opens online shop in Mexico

Hot on the heels of a similar move in Portugal, Apple on Monday took its business in Mexico digital with the launch of a localized online store -- dubbed simply the Apple Store Mexico.

"Hello, Mexico," the company wrote on its Mexican homepage. "The Apple Online Store is officially open."

The store, which offers free shipping on any order, arrives just days after Apple stepped up its efforts in Portugal by launching its first-ever Apple Portugal website and online store.

AT&T mulls Google alliance

Meanwhile, AT&T Wireless has talked with Google about joining its mobile-phone software alliance and participating in its Android platform. The phone company is "analyzing the situation" and may use Google's software for phones, Ralph de la Vega, chief executive officer of the wireless unit, said in an interview today.

Apple damage control agents move in

A new video offers a rare glimpse at Apple's public relations department reacting to a code red.

Shot by Britain's Channel 4 News during the UK iPhone launch earlier this month, the clip shows Apple media relations folks putting the brakes on an interview after journalist Benjamin Cohen repeatedly bombards Apple marketing boss Phil Schiller with questions about an iTunes monopoly.

A class-action lawsuit filed in August has charged Apple with illegally tying iPods to its iTunes Store in order to forge a monopoly over the digital media market so it can inflate prices, exclude competition, and force consumers to continue to buy into its closed ecosystem.

Leopard Achieves UNIX 03 CertificationÂ*

The Open Group, a consortium which focuses on open standards and global interoperability, has announced that Mac OS X Leopard and Mac OS X Server Leopard have been awarded a certificate of conformance to the UNIX 03 standard.Â* UNIX 03 is the certification mark for systems conforming to the latest UNIX product standard developed by The Open Group Platform Forum for the Single UNIX Specification version 3.

The certification is significant as it further broadens the installed base of UNIX systems in the marketplace to include a popular desktop platform, the group said. In addition, AppleÂ?s UNIX 03 certificationÂ*is a milestone for the UNIX certification program since Mac OS X is the first operating system derived from the open source BSD base of historical UNIX productsÂ*to meet the certification requirements.Â*

"For over ten years, the Single UNIX Specification has consistently provided both scalability and stability to end users Â? one hallmark of a tried and true technology standard," said Allen Brown, president and CEO for The Open Group. "Operating platforms conforming to the UNIX 03 standard assures enterprises with industrial strength products, as well as an opportunity to avoid limited choice in vendor partnership. In achieving UNIX 03 certification, Apple has shown true commitment to its customers in providing open solutions that are warranted and fully supported.Â?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I don't agree about the Phil event
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't agree about the Phil event

Could you be any less specific? Perhaps sum that statement up with something shorter.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple damage control agents move in

A new video offers a rare glimpse at Apple's public relations department reacting to a code red.

Shot by Britain's Channel 4 News during the UK iPhone launch earlier this month, the clip shows Apple media relations folks putting the brakes on an interview after journalist Benjamin Cohen repeatedly bombards Apple marketing boss Phil Schiller with questions about an iTunes monopoly.

Benjamin Cohen has anti-Apple form:

Trademark dispute over itunes.co.uk

In November 2000, Benjamin Cohen of CyberBritain registered the domain name itunes.co.uk. The domain was initially pointed to skipmusic.com, then to cyberbritain.com and then inoperative for some time. Apple applied for a UK trademark for iTunes on October 23, 2000 and this was granted on March 23, 2001. Apple launched its popular iTunes music store service in the UK in 2004. Once they had done this, Cohen reactivated the domain name, which was then for a while redirected to iTunes' then-biggest rival, Napster. The domain name then forwarded to CyberBritain's cash back/rewards website.

In 2005, Apple took the matter to the Dispute Resolution Service operated by .uk domain name registry Nominet UK, stating that they had rights in the name "iTunes" and that the use of the domain name by Cohen's company was abusive (these being the two tests under the Dispute Resolution Service). The dispute was not resolved at the free mediation stage and Apple paid for an independent expert to decide the case, who decided in Apple's favor in the dispute. The full text of the decision, including the full history of the use of the domain, is available. Cohen immediately launched a media offensive stating that the DRS was biased towards large businesses and made frequent threats of lawsuits against Nominet.

This version of events gained wide press coverage, and although Nominet responded by publicizing the facts of the case, their version of events did not capture public imagination to the same extent. However, Cohen then stated that the DRS was unfair for a number of reasons and stated that he would take Nominet to the High Court via judicial review. Nominet said that he should appeal the case via the appeal process in the DRS. Cohen refused to do this, and after several months did issue proceedings. The judge at first instance rejected his case noting that Cohen's company, Cyberbritain Group Ltd, should have used the appeal process which forms part of Nominet's domain resolution service, and Cohen's company asked for a rehearing. As that case progressed, the interim domain name was transferred to Apple in accordance with the expert's decision and it now points to the music site. The High Court proceedings are not an appeal of the Nominet DRS Decision.

In December 2005, Cohen dropped all legal action against Apple.

• Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:

"Hello, Mexico," the company wrote on its Mexican homepage. "The Apple Store Online is officially open."

JFC. Let's try: "The Apple Online Store is officially open."

Google translate can only get you so far.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christ View Post

Benjamin Cohen has anti-Apple form:

Trademark dispute over itunes.co.uk

In November 2000, Benjamin Cohen of CyberBritain registered the domain name itunes.co.uk. The domain was initially pointed to skipmusic.com, then to cyberbritain.com and then inoperative for some time. Apple applied for a UK trademark for iTunes on October 23, 2000 and this was granted on March 23, 2001. Apple launched its popular iTunes music store service in the UK in 2004. Once they had done this, Cohen reactivated the domain name, which was then for a while redirected to iTunes' then-biggest rival, Napster. The domain name then forwarded to CyberBritain's cash back/rewards website.

In 2005, Apple took the matter to the Dispute Resolution Service operated by .uk domain name registry Nominet UK, stating that they had rights in the name "iTunes" and that the use of the domain name by Cohen's company was abusive (these being the two tests under the Dispute Resolution Service). The dispute was not resolved at the free mediation stage and Apple paid for an independent expert to decide the case, who decided in Apple's favor in the dispute. The full text of the decision, including the full history of the use of the domain, is available. Cohen immediately launched a media offensive stating that the DRS was biased towards large businesses and made frequent threats of lawsuits against Nominet.

This version of events gained wide press coverage, and although Nominet responded by publicizing the facts of the case, their version of events did not capture public imagination to the same extent. However, Cohen then stated that the DRS was unfair for a number of reasons and stated that he would take Nominet to the High Court via judicial review. Nominet said that he should appeal the case via the appeal process in the DRS. Cohen refused to do this, and after several months did issue proceedings. The judge at first instance rejected his case noting that Cohen's company, Cyberbritain Group Ltd, should have used the appeal process which forms part of Nominet's domain resolution service, and Cohen's company asked for a rehearing. As that case progressed, the interim domain name was transferred to Apple in accordance with the expert's decision and it now points to the music site. The High Court proceedings are not an appeal of the Nominet DRS Decision.

In December 2005, Cohen dropped all legal action against Apple.

Don't like it, don't buy it.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Android poses a very serious threat to the iPhone. Google was very smart in opening its software to others even before the launch of the gPhone. I held off purchasing an iPhone as I have ceased being an early adopter of Apple hardware and software so I may well get the gPhone over the iPhone. Had Apple opened the iPhone to third-party developers much earlier than they have planned then Apple would have received my business; bad business moves on Apple's part with no amount of damage control able to resurrect the iPhone where it should be at this point.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Bravo to Phil for recognizing the interviewer was off course, stepping back and letting his handlers take over. Boo to the journalist who can't stay on point.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

...I held off purchasing an iPhone as I have ceased being an early adopter of Apple hardware and software....

So you'll be an early adopter for the gphone?

On a side note, I thought the gphone was a hoax? Didn't Google come out and say they were developing a platform not a device?
  • Reply 9 of 51
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:

...A new video offers a rare glimpse at Apple's public relations department reacting to a code red....

I guess an olive pull-over blocking Phill Schiller constitutes this "rare glimpse"...

Could you BE anymore sensationalist?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Android poses a very serious threat to the iPhone. Google was very smart in opening its software to others even before the launch of the gPhone. I held off purchasing an iPhone as I have ceased being an early adopter of Apple hardware and software so I may well get the gPhone over the iPhone. Had Apple opened the iPhone to third-party developers much earlier than they have planned then Apple would have received my business; bad business moves on Apple's part with no amount of damage control able to resurrect the iPhone where it should be at this point.

Actually, sir/madam, there will be no such animal as the gPhone. Google is creating a platform that will be installed on 3rd party phones (ie. standard handsets). The iPhone is still more in the smartphone category. With that said, if you're still butt hurt that Apple put off 3rd party software until the major bugs were worked out (and making sure enough sold to even warrant support), then don't buy it. It's really that simple, you don't need to do the flailing attention seeking on a rumors site, just express your dissatisfaction with your wallet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

So you'll be an early adopter for the gphone?

On a side note, I thought the gphone was a hoax? Didn't Google come out and say they were developing a platform not a device?

Exactly.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Oh bull. It was simple question that turned into a circus when all Phil had to do was answer yes, no or no comment. Instead Apple pays $50k or more a year to a bunch of latte sipping tight-asses to wipe his back-side for him.

Maybe "Think Different" should be "Think For Yourself".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heaven or las vegas View Post

Bravo to Phil for recognizing the interviewer was off course, stepping back and letting his handlers take over. Boo to the journalist who can't stay on point.

• Reply 12 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Could you be any less specific? Perhaps sum that statement up with something shorter.

LOL ,,, sorry I had to rush out and never finished ... I was going to say the news guy was just trying get a dramatic story ('Apple is a Monopoly OMG!!!') when he and others were there for a specific opening on a specific product. I thought the Apple staff were very courteous. Sadly it all back-fired else we would not even know about it and I am sure SJ would have handled it far better.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I would've liked to see Steve or Phil just come unglued and say "For the 10,000th time, it's not a fucking Monopoly because it's not fucking locked! You can put music from other sources on the iPod and you can convert music from the iTunes store for other devices. It's all right there in the software that we provide for free! Are you fucking retarded?"
  • Reply 14 of 51
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Agreed.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    LOL right on!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I would've liked to see Steve or Phil just come unglued and say "For the 10,000th time, it's not a fucking Monopoly because it's not fucking locked! You can put music from other sources on the iPod and you can convert music from the iTunes store for other devices. It's all right there in the software that we provide for free! Are you fucking retarded?"

• Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

I wish all public figures did that! I hate the formalities they hide behind >:-(
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Actually, sir/madam, there will be no such animal as the gPhone. Google is creating a platform that will be installed on 3rd party phones (ie. standard handsets). The iPhone is still more in the smartphone category. With that said, if you're still butt hurt that Apple put off 3rd party software until the major bugs were worked out (and making sure enough sold to even warrant support), then don't buy it. It's really that simple, you don't need to do the flailing attention seeking on a rumors site, just express your dissatisfaction with your wallet.

I believe you will be in for a big surprise...
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Or even better Phil could just have said "Thanks for pointing out the obvious...Indeed the iPod owns nearly all of the market leaving no room for its competitors...We are very excited about that. We're also pretty confident that this could soon be the case with the iPhone."

That would have brought the focus back on the iPhone launch. SJ would have handled it much better, I think. IMHO, the video is just another unworthy effort to bring negative attention to big US corporations that are largely disliked in the UK and the rest of Europe. The reason behind it, simple, nobody likes monopolies .
  • Reply 19 of 51
    It will be interesting to see if Android ends up creating a better broad customer appeal than the iPhone. My gut says that the platform will have the same challenges that Nokia has had with the internet tablet series, and Linux in a broader case. While this will create a low barrier for entry for third party applications, will too many of the applications be like most of the current 3rd party iPhone apps-- with more of a hobbyist developer?

Likewise, from a hardware perspective, will Android be a selling point for phones-- at least as "Not Windows Mobile?" Most people seem generally comfortable with the hardware options available today, but the total experience is where there is failure.

Apple hasn't lost yet, but they had better come out with a rock-solid SDK and extremely flexible signing procedures in February. A tablet that supports the same SDK might do a lot to help.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Apple hasn't lost yet, but they had better come out with a rock-solid SDK and extremely flexible signing procedures in February. A tablet that supports the same SDK might do a lot to help.

This is a wake-up call, if not a challenge for Apple. There are many business people waiting to see how this plays out to determine which way they will go in the future.