Anyone here used XP much?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    I am a mac user and love apple i just am worried if what you say is true then apple cannot justify to people to switch
  • Reply 22 of 72
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rmh1572:

<strong>I am a mac user and love apple i just am worried if what you say is true then apple cannot justify to people to switch</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does Apple need people to switch? What is the big deal? I thought the war was over.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    [quote]It doesn't just happen in the recycle bin.<hr></blockquote>

I didn't say it did. I assumed you might want to know how to shut it off there, since there is obviously never going to be a 'Turn features I don't like' button in the OS and that is the example you chose to exaggerate.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 72
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm afraid you encounter two dialogue boxes when emptying the trash by default, and one is easy to disable.

I do believe those are in OSX as well.

Can you think of any that are unique to Windows?
  • Reply 25 of 72
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I'm afraid you encounter two dialogue boxes when emptying the trash by default, and one is easy to disable.

Can you think of any that are unique to Windows?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not true, grover.... If you don't want to get a dialogue box before emptying the trash in OS X, just crtl+click on the trash icon in the dock and select 'empty trash' (it's the only option there). How about "Are you sure you want to [put shutdown option here]?" and then having to select what you want to do? Start menu -&gt; shut down -&gt; hibernate, restart, shutdown -&gt; are you sure? Pain in the ass...
  • Reply 26 of 72
    [quote]I'm afraid you encounter two dialogue boxes when emptying the trash by default, and one is easy to disable.

I do believe those are in OSX as well.<hr></blockquote>

You're right on the first one. Windows still asks if you really want to empty the Recycle Bin, but doesn't ask if you really want to send things there. Didn't notice that.

OS X only has one warning, as far as I know anyway.

[quote]How about "Are you sure you want to [put shutdown option here]?" and then having to select what you want to do? Start menu -&gt; shut down -&gt; hibernate, restart, shutdown -&gt; are you sure? Pain in the ass...<hr></blockquote>

It's not really a pain in the ass, but it is also not acceptable considering that there was a better way to shut down long before MS chose its style. Luckily this PC shuts down properly when I press the power button.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by CyberZorn:

<strong>i use both for now (might be giving my windows box away soon though).

Over all I'd say XP is the best flavor of windows out there (way more stable than 9X - and more Multimedia than 2000)</strong><hr></blockquote>

It has more multimedia, but the speed difference with all of it is like OS 9 vs OS X.0.

I don't think it's that much more stable than 9X. I'd say it's less stable than 2000 based on my experience and experience of a few xp using friends. It's very easy to crash xp.

XP is to 2000 as ME is to 98.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    There is one trash warning that you can't get rid of, and while I dislike it it has saved my butt and thousands of other butts out there. Deleting files is a fairly permanent thing, so I don't mind them being a bit careful.

"Are you sure you want to delete Big Term Paper?"

Start -&gt; Turn Off Computer

Then you get three options:

Stand By - Turn Off - Restart

Oooh, complicated!

And you can set the power button on your physical computer to choose from either:

- Do Nothing (useful when my 1y.o. nephew is running around)

- Ask Me What to Do

- Stand By

- Hibernate

- Shut Down

Anything else?
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Can you copy and paste a 20mb file between apps in XP?
  • Reply 30 of 72
    I had my first experience with XP last week, and found it pretty easy to use. I still think the idea that it's "driver-less" pure plug & play is more like pure make believe, but that's no big deal.

I can say that prior to my hands-on with XP, I thought there was zero chance that I'd upgrade my Win2k machines, and now that I've tried it, I'm not quite as 100% against XP as I thought.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I don't really care about XP but, unless I remember incorrectly, in X you can turn off the Trash can warning completely. It's in finder preferences.

What's your Big Term Paper doing in the Trash, err...Recycle Bin Groverat? You planning on using those bits/bytes over again. You can't really recycle that stuff you know (which makes me wonder why they call it a Recycle Bin in the first place).
  • Reply 32 of 72
    thecoolgut:

Why ask such stupid questions?

seb:

That was just an example.

Yes, "Recycle Bin" is stupid, but Apple got first dibs on "Trash" and we can't have the Maclots howling about evil MS stealing all of Apple's original ideas like trash cans. Actually, now that I give it thought it seems logical since you are freeing up space that was not there before, hence "recycling" the space for further use. Bah, whatever.
  • Reply 33 of 72

<strong>I'm afraid you encounter two dialogue boxes when emptying the trash by default, and one is easy to disable.

Can you think of any that are unique to Windows?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's like this way in ALL MS apps grover. Even the ones MS makes for the Mac. The Mac isn't that annoying with it's questions.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    You can indeed turn off ALL warnings of moving or trashing items in OS X

• Reply 35 of 72
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    How about, say, "wastebasket"?
  • Reply 36 of 72
    It is not that way with all MS apps. Just a few examples, please. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

To use one of your lame terms, I'm afraid you're making a "bizarro extreme" out of one specific situation.

You have to option to just bypass the Recycle Bin entirely and delete the file outright, if that's how you want to do it.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Ooh, I like "Wastebasket", also "Dust Bin" and "Sinewave's Mom"
  • Reply 38 of 72
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    NeXtstep had a "Recycle" dockling back in '88.
  • Reply 39 of 72

<strong>thecoolgut:

Why ask such stupid questions?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess that means "no". I don't know what the point of getting dual athlons would be if you have an OS which thinks its running on a pentium 2. Oh well, at least M$ has secured itself as the premiere platform for a fully functional instant messenger.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I actually was interested in his question... does anybody have an answer?

What is the max copy/paste size for Windows XP, Windows 2000, OS 9, and OS X? In OS 9, Photoshop 6 is always telling me that "clipboard is too large to export" or something to that effect.'

-Ender