Anyone here used XP much?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's a stupid question because of course it can. It's like me asking whether or not the MacOS draws pictures on the screen.

• Reply 42 of 72
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Ooh, I like "Wastebasket", also "Dust Bin" and "Sinewave's Mom" </strong><hr></blockquote>

My Mom's Sweet Ass.
  • Reply 43 of 72

<strong>It is not that way with all MS apps. Just a few examples, please. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

To use one of your lame terms, I'm afraid you're making a "bizarro extreme" out of one specific situation.

You have to option to just bypass the Recycle Bin entirely and delete the file outright, if that's how you want to do it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh come on grover tell me you have never heard Windows dialog jokes? How long have you been using a computer again? I remember one shockwave file someone made that poked fun at them. It would bring up a new dialog box with every one that you pressed.

Here is a example. I just want to change the resolution. In my Mac and can just change it and I get no hassles. In Windows it gives you these "Are You sure?" dialogs every time.

Windows treats you as if your a retard. Now this may be a good feature for newbies but Windows needs to have a "Don't dumb down Windows" feature to disable this.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Sinewave ]</p>
  • Reply 44 of 72
    I purchased a new sony laptop back in September and qualified for a XP Home edition upgrade. I installed it and wasn't impressed. It didn't recognize all my hardware. With 256 Mb of RAM it was slow. The "new" look was just window dressing you could pick from a few themes but not customize it yourself. I installed RedHat 7.1. The internal modem didn't work, the DVD player did not work and my system actually ran slower eventhough I setup 127 MB swap partition.

I finally settled for W2K and haven't had any propblems.

I've never been a Mac user but wish now that I had went for the iBook with the DVD/CD-RW combo drive. My goal is to have a portable system in which I can do Geneology work and then burn the information to CD or DVD. If the PowerBook ever comes out with a DVD-RW drive it will be my next system.

[quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>I used it for the first time today. I actually kinda liked it. I have always hated Windows, but XP was almost "Mac-like". If MWSF is lame and there are no G5's, I may build a PC and run BSD and XP

I just wanted to get feedback from both Mac and PC users about XP.

One feature I wish X had is the "Remote Desktop" feature (discussed in other posts)

Any comments guys?</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 45 of 72
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>

Here is a example. I just want to change the resolution. In my Mac and can just change it and I get no hassles. In Windows it gives you these "Are You sure?" dialogs every time.

(images)

Windows treats you as if your a retard. Now this may be a good feature for newbies but Windows needs to have a "Don't dumb down Windows" feature to disable this.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

On other occasions, I'd agree, but this specific dialog box is there for good reason, and has saved me from booting into safe mode several times when I tried to find out how far a given monitor could go refresh-rate-wise. Forthermore, I don't think it's too annoying, since I don't change screen resolutions very often once I found a good one for a given monitor.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Perfectly reasonable dialogue boxes, what's wrong with them?

And are you really trying to use the existence of jokes as some kind of evidence?
  • Reply 47 of 72
    grover it does this in most anything you do in Windows. WTF are you talking about? I mean having to go through two or three dialogs for alot of things you change is just obnoxious.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    You don't have to go through 2 or 3 dialogue boxes to do everything. I (and others) have shown why the dialogue boxes you bring up exist or how you can easily disable them.

You are taking it for granted that dialogue boxes pop up every 5 seconds and I'm telling you that I use WindowsXP every day and I don't have that.

Dialogue boxes are not a problem in WindowsXP more than they are in any other OS.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    grover when I use Windows how come I notice them a lot more than I do in OS 9 or OS X? I mean some of them are pretty stupid. Especially some of the Windows installers.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Any examples?

Do the installer dialogue boxes ask you stupid things like where you want it to install and if you want a shortcut in the Start menu?

You're trying to use anecdote to discuss an issue with someone who is using reason, it just doesn't work out. WindowsXP users aren't inundated with inane dialogue boxes, I'm sorry, but it's just not that way.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member

<strong>grover it does this in most anything you do in Windows. WTF are you talking about? I mean having to go through two or three dialogs for alot of things you change is just obnoxious.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ever actually used Windows yourself for any longer period of time?

I did / do, and I don't really feel like it's too obnoxious or getting into my way - and when it does in some cases, you can mostly disable that (wizards and stuff).

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 52 of 72
    grover I never said XP had them That was my question.. I asked if XP still used them like 9X did all the time.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    [quote]grover I never said XP had them<hr></blockquote>

Look at the thread title, now re-read your posts. You were talking about Windows, and in a thread dedicated to XP that means you were talking about XP unless you otherwise specified, which you never did.

Your ignorance on this subject is showing, it's best you just quit while you're behind.

Also, all of the gripes you have specified are in XP along with 9x, and those gripes which you can specify have been explained in a logical manner.

[quote]That was my question.. I asked if XP still used them like 9X did all the time.<hr></blockquote>

Your question is flawed because you don't know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 54 of 72

<strong>

Look at the thread title, now re-read your posts. You were talking about Windows, and in a thread dedicated to XP that means you were talking about XP unless you otherwise specified, which you never did.

<hr></blockquote></strong>

Yes I believe this was my original question.

I

I

v

<strong>Did they put a option in XP that lets you turn off all those "Are you sure" dialogs that come up 5 times before Windows lets you do something?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was asking if XP did this indeed. I never claimed XP did this.

[quote]<strong>

Your ignorance on this subject is showing, it's best you just quit while you're behind.

Behind? I am not the one claiming I said something I didn't son. I just asked if XP did the dialog madness garbage.

[quote]<strong>

Also, all of the gripes you have specified are in XP along with 9x, and those gripes which you can specify have been explained in a logical manner.

Oh so they are still in XP? They have been explained.. logical? That's a opinion. XP if like the other version of Windows pops up TONS more "Are you sure" type dialog boxes than OS X. Windows is REALLY bad at doing this. And no .. no other OS is this obnoxious about it.

[quote]<strong>

Your question is flawed because you don't know what you're talking about.

I just looooooooove your reasoning groverat.

I sure as hell do know what I am talking about.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    [quote]I was asking if XP did this indeed.<hr></blockquote>

The question you asked at the beginning of the thread is based on a false assumption, an assumption that you have yet to prove to any extent.

You contend that Windows is full of inane dialogue boxes, and it's not the truth. How am I to answer a question that is based on falsehood?

Case in point:

Has your father stopped sleeping with donkeys?

How do you answer that?

1) Your father has never slept with donkeys, so answering "yes" means that he has stopped, but at some point he was enjoying some lower-equine loving.

2) You answer "no" because he never has slept with donkeys, therefore it would be impossible for him to stop doing something he wasn't doing in the first place. But answering "no" leaves the impression that he still sneaks into the stables at night.

Do you see my quandry? It's difficult to communicate with someone like you at times.

So to fully answer your question:

XP hasn't created a "turn stupid dialogue boxes off" option because there weren't any stupid dialogue boxes to begin with.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    grover IN MY AND MANY OTHERS OPINION Windows has too many dialog boxes. Just because you don't FEEL it does.. doesn't make my opinion wrong. It DOES have more than any other OS out there I guarantee. I can't believe such a simple question got you so defensive.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    All I ask is for some examples, it's very simple.

As a matter of fact, a few in this thread have come out to say that Windows *isn't* full of inane dialogue boxes, not just me.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    All I have to say is:

Computer: "You have performed an illegal operation"

User: (freaks out) "Ahhh I hope I don't go to jail what is my computer doing?"
  • Reply 59 of 72
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

How about "Are you sure you want to [put shutdown option here]?" and then having to select what you want to do? Start menu -&gt; shut down -&gt; hibernate, restart, shutdown -&gt; are you sure? Pain in the ass...<hr></blockquote>

I just press a button on the front of my PC. Blammo, shutdown, just like a Mac does.
  • Reply 60 of 72

Oh come on grover tell me you have never heard Windows dialog jokes? How long have you been using a computer again? I remember one shockwave file someone made that poked fun at them. It would bring up a new dialog box with every one that you pressed.

<hr></blockquote>

Those can all be turned off. Windows is setup to assume that a person has never used it before. Power users know where to go to eliminate the dialogs.