A bunch of mock ups for the tablet. Check em out.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Some of them are pretty cool. I still think there's no product in the pipeline, though.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Yeah, not for a while anyway. I just figured people always liked mockups
  • Reply 3 of 45
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    They're too thick except, maybe, for the one by Thomas Palmer which was just a stretched iPhone:

I like the look of this one though:

But too thick. If it is a tablet, it's got to be thin thin thin, and really light.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The biggest problem is that on screen keyboard. You can see where the problem lies with that style immediately. NIghtmare product with out a keyboard. Photoshop is going to be real fun with that thing. I can't even imagine the Maya nightmare.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    See, I still have no problem with typing on something that doesn't give tactile feedback.

As long as the keyboard is translucent enough, I'm good.

Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mac touch®
    1. 11"

2. 32GB & 64 GB SSD

3. No optical drive

4. Silver aluminum rear

5. Rear flip stand

6. Very thin and light

7. Rear, rubber hand-grips on both sides which also protect item

8. No physical keyboard

9. Built-in iSight

10. Fully Multi-touch with glass scratch-resistant screen

11. Comes with dock (can be used as digital picture frame)

12. Designed for and marketed @ desktop users; "Take some work with you."

13. Syncs through iTunes

• Reply 7 of 45
    How thin is "very thin?"
  • Reply 8 of 45
    No thicker than a regular DVD tall case. Actually, I have longed for a sub mini computer about the size of a DVD case.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    My preferences are different. I want a computer that lasts a long time without recharging. If the ultra-portable could last 12 hours of use I would be willing for it to be 3" thick.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The biggest problem is that on screen keyboard. You can see where the problem lies with that style immediately. NIghtmare product with out a keyboard. Photoshop is going to be real fun with that thing. I can't even imagine the Maya nightmare.

What, for key commands? The use of key commands would be substituted by the ability to interact with the user interface with your hands. You want the selection tool in Photoshop, you click on it in the toolbar with your finger. Features without GUI buttons mean you'll be making trips to the menus, but navigating menus would be quicker with a finger than it is pointing a mouse, so I don't think it'd be as bad as it seems. Apple would have to incorporate gestures for modifier keys, but there could be an optional bar across the bottom of the screen which contains control, shift, apple, spacebar, etc.

I think any time lost using the menus instead of key commands would be more than made up for by the ability to manipulate your project with your hands.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Drools.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

What, for key commands? The use of key commands would be substituted by the ability to interact with the user interface with your hands. You want the selection tool in Photoshop, you click on it in the toolbar with your finger. Features without GUI buttons mean you'll be making trips to the menus, but navigating menus would be quicker with a finger than it is pointing a mouse, so I don't think it'd be as bad as it seems. Apple would have to incorporate gestures for modifier keys, but there could be an optional bar across the bottom of the screen which contains control, shift, apple, spacebar, etc.

I think any time lost using the menus instead of key commands would be more than made up for by the ability to manipulate your project with your hands.

Obviously never used Maya have you. It's been discussed to death in here do you think this is the first thread about this? Sure I want it on my lap with flat with two hands to use my apps, and my neck looking straight down at a screen on my lap. Yes I'm going to whiplash in about an hour working like that. What if I tilt it up? Then I can hold my hands out straight at screen for even less time without getting cramped. Dude you need to think about this shit before you start saying it's the great idea. It's a shit idea, and anyone that has actually thought it through fully knows it.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Have you sat one way your entire life? Take a book, act like it's a tablet and sit down with it. Try different things. There are plenty of ways to be comfortable.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    One appears to have a keyboard that can be flipped from the back and another has one that appears to slide out from the back. I think both of those are the most probable. There needs to be a physical keyboard imo. There's a lot of pretty good ideas in there and many are very similar. I could probably find some sort of flaw in almost all of them that makes them a little less probable. A lot of them lack the border style that is consistent with Apple's design habits.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Photoshop is going to be real fun with that thing. I can't even imagine the Maya nightmare.

3D software is mostly controlled with the mouse and Photoshop just has the odd key stroke. An external mouse and a touch keyboard should suffice but an external keyboard would still be an option.

The thing I like about the virtual keyboard for 3D apps and Photoshop is the possibility of having a touch palette of icons instead of keys like they showed on the OLED keyboard. It's way easier to hit palettes using a finger than a mouse pointer as there's no dragging involved.

Manipulating objects in 3D could be a fun experience IMO - a little bit closer to modelling with clay. It might be extremely frustrating but you have to try these things to see.

One thing I wonder about is if they'd use glass. If they don't, it'll scratch easily. If they do, it'll be too heavy surely and much more likely to crack.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

Do you run these programs on your iPhone? No? You're not going to run them on the tablet, either.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Drools.

Lemon Bon Bon.

..Why?
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Do you run these programs on your iPhone? No? You're not going to run them on the tablet, either.

A laptop is a better example, and the answer would be yes. You do run them on a MacBook Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

3D software is mostly controlled with the mouse and Photoshop just has the odd key stroke. An external mouse and a touch keyboard should suffice but an external keyboard would still be an option. ..................

No most 3D software is run mostly with hot keys, The mouse is used with everything.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

No most 3D software is run mostly with hot keys, The mouse is used with everything.

Maybe it depends on how you quantify mostly. Most of the actions I do in 3D software use the mouse. You use it for pushing/pulling vertices, scrubbing the timeline, rotating the viewport. You can detach Maya's menus for easy access with the mouse and you have toolboxes. But anyway, that doesn't change the fact that an external keyboard or touch keyboard would be a suitable replacement for one that is stuck on.

Surely a palette of icons is better to associate functions than obscure letter combinations.

Depending on the machine spec I'd also agree with Splinemodel, it's unlikely you'd run those programs on a tablet. At least not while holding it like a tablet. You'd want to attach it to the main power for the best performance and you'd prop it up on a stand like an iMac and then attach your extended keyboard and mouse.

I wonder if a tablet would use the same spec as a MBP or a MB.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Why is it that any discussion that involves a tablet has some comment of some sort about the ability to run photoshop or some other graphics program. Enough with the idiocy!!! If the machine doesn't fit your needs please go pound slat someplace else.

In any event Apple really needs to release an advanced iPhone. An iPhone that still goes in the pocket but has a larger screen. The idea here is to provide a more robust platform on which ones PDA requirements can be meet. Ideally any Apple tablet would be based on a scale up of such a device to keep a family persona so to speak.

Dave