Apple developing mini-disc adapter for slot-loading drives

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If Apple does release a sub-compact without an internal optical drive or without an external drive included they may go the route of the other major PC vendors and use 10GB of the HDD for an install partiton. While I hate to waste precious HDD space this way it is an option. Apple could include an option to copy the install to DVDs and a a way to dynamically remove this partition to gain back the used space HDD space should you attach an external drive. This is all a waste of energy, IMO, but it is an option should Apple release a device that doesn't have or come with an optical drive.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Apple does release a sub-compact without an internal optical drive or without an external drive included they may go the route of the other major PC vendors and use 10GB of the HDD for an install partiton. While I hate to waste precious HDD space this way it is an option. Apple could include an option to copy the install to DVDs and a a way to dynamically remove this partition to gain back the used space HDD space should you attach an external drive. This is all a waste of energy, IMO, but it is an option should Apple release a device that doesn't have or come with an optical drive.

No, I can't see that happening. Apple stlll sells all it's software on disks, and so do other people. Also, it has DVD player etc, not to mention iDVD etc.

They will surely include an external superdrive attached by USB, so that on the occasions you need it, you can plug it in, but you don't need to lug it around with you to and from work etc.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    I work for a company that makes CD and DVD mechanisms. We've supported 8cm discs from the beginning (~20 years ago).

I must say, however, that I feel these folding or lego-like adapters will be a warranty nightmare. Can you imagine how many are going to get incorrectly put together or incompletely attached to the disc and then come apart inside the drive?

Sorry, but this idea doesn't seem well thought-out.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Really, really?!

This seems like a joke.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    seems like a waste of filing fees.

does the difference between the packaging and shipping result in appreciable savings?

is the smaller size relevant for when software discs are shipped/packaged separately ? (i.e. could iLife fit on a mini disc?)
  • Reply 26 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thefunky_monkey View Post

They will surely include an external superdrive attached by USB, so that on the occasions you need it, you can plug it in, but you don't need to lug it around with you to and from work etc.

I would think FW would be more likely as it can transfer more power to the device and has a higher sustained read than USB 2.0.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Are we sure this is Apple's filling or even their project? Or is it just this Tony Fadell guy?

It seems odd that Apple would care to develop something so... lame.

It sort of reminds me of:

Apple, who always seems so concerned with keeping it easy for the consumers, should probably just opt for the slot-loaders that read both sizes of disc.

If this IS Apple-related, one has to wonder... why all the new interest in mini discs? Trying to make everyone happy by putting a mini optical drive in an ultra-portable or something?

Weird.

-Clive
  • Reply 28 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    A folding adapter better be very good, as in not fly apart at the hinges when it's spinning at several thousand RPM. I think it would have been much better to use the slot loading drives that accept the smaller discs. I just don't see the value, the cost of the smaller discs don't seem to be much less, it would be more just because of the cost of a funky CD adapter. Apple could save on packaging by using thinner box profiles, even the small 12cm square boxes are still mostly air.

They could actually bother to include the latest copy of iTunes on the iPods, that would have been a valid solution to the lack of a CD in the box.

Apple crams so much onto most of their software discs that it would still have to be 12cm, and their packaging often includes multiple discs. FCE was two or three discs, Aperture had two, Tiger had two, iLife '06 had two, and I think iWork '06 had one, but the programs are probably large enough that it would be more than what a double layer mini-DVD can store. Their hardware devices are large enough that a smaller disc doesn't save on packaging size.

So I'd suggest that this is a poor solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    I don't see this going anywhere. The whole process is redundant. The money they save using smaller discs, which is negligible, is eaten up by the costs of development and engineering this new product.

As software because even more complicated, it eventually won't even fit on the disc. And who wants to search in their drawers for an adapter?

I love that Apple is detail oriented like this, however I file this one under "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
  • Reply 30 of 72
    I think all you guys who are saying that Apple should just change their optical drives to handle smaller discs are missing the point. Apple has to worry about their software being readable on more than just brand new Apple computers. They also have to worry about the millions of legacy Macs out there as well as, and probably more importantly for their bottom line, Windows machines. Throwing a full size CD in the box with a new Mac, an Apple TV or an Airport router is not a problem for them. Where something like this would most likely be used is for iPods and iPhones which are all smaller in width than a full size CD and the majority of iPod buyers currently are on Windows machines which may or may not have a slot loading optical drive.

Not to say that this particular solution to the problem isn't kind of goofy and a potential support nightmare.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thefunky_monkey View Post

No, I can't see that happening. Apple stlll sells all it's software on disks, and so do other people. Also, it has DVD player etc, not to mention iDVD etc.

There is also the issue of replacing the hard drive and being left without any original system software.

I would also like Apple to make laptops where you can take out the optical drive and put in a second battery for extended runtime.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whalt View Post

Where something like this would most likely be used is for iPods and iPhones which are all smaller in width than a full size CD and the majority of iPod buyers currently are on Windows machines which may or may not have a slot loading optical drive.

Haven't you considered that all iPods already include more than enough storage to hold the iTunes installer programs? A disc for an iPod would be totally redundant. Not to mention, last I heard, Apple doesn't provide either anyway. Any OS that can't connect to a current iPod without additional drivers isn't supported by the current iPods anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    A software product we distribute goes out to the buyer on a flash drive, but then, it sells for about $9000 a seat, so the manufacturer can afford the media costs.

That said, I'd rather pay up to $25 dollars or so and get a flash drive with large software packages on it than download massive files and then make my own CDs/DVDs for permanent backup. Adobe CS3 applications took forever on broadband, and included a lot of other .dmgs you needed/wanted as well as the apps.

Flash drive(s) are pretty universal, prices keep falling, and if you make an optical copy of the files for backup, you still have the flash drives for other uses.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rehmbo View Post

I must say, however, that I feel these folding or lego-like adapters will be a warranty nightmare. Can you imagine how many are going to get incorrectly put together or incompletely attached to the disc and then come apart inside the drive?

My thoughts exactly. I've had the "pleasure" of taking apart a Mac Mini twice thanks to its failing combo drive. Slot-load drives aren't the easiest things to service when they go bad.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    That's funny cause you can stick both size disks into the Wii and they work, and can pop back out too. Strikes me as very un-Apple-like to have this "stupid" add-on.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    I think this wins an award for the worst waste of human time and effort ever. All this to shave a couple centimeters off of a compact disc, which already weighs a negligible amount? I am completely boggled.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whalt View Post

I think all you guys who are saying that Apple should just change their optical drives to handle smaller discs are missing the point. Apple has to worry about their software being readable on more than just brand new Apple computers. They also have to worry about the millions of legacy Macs out there as well as, and probably more importantly for their bottom line, Windows machines.

Exactly. They are clearly aiming for backwards compatibility.

This is still just a patent filing though same as the flip open underneath optical drive solution for a laptop and I doubt that'll ever be manufactured.

The best solution to cut down distribution cost in this case IMO would be flash as people have said. But as mentioned, the extra cost would likely negate the savings on distribution (possibly one reason why Sony chose UMD over their media stick format for the PSP besides copy protection) so it's probably best to stick with a normal CD.

I'd like to know exactly how much they'd save by doing things this way.

I also agree that it's disappointing they didn't have the foresight to put drives capable of handling the smaller discs into their machines.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Remember CD-Caddy's for the old caddy load cdrom drives? At least they didn't fold up so small I could still find them.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Seems to me that CDs are already small enough. Why would we want to complicate things for the user for the sake of saving a few pennies? I think this is kind of a silly move.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    This is good news as far as I'm concerned as it means Mac users will be able to use those 8cm DVD camcorders.

Btw, I am an avid AI reader but I find some the editing appalling. This article is a prime example. Please make an effort in this area as it makes reading much more enjoyable.