Apple developing mini-disc adapter for slot-loading drives

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,730member
    Pffft.

• Reply 42 of 72
    Unless... dare I say it, Apple plans to do away with regular 5.25 optical drives and opt for much smaller drives that only handle the small discs and/or small HD discs. This would makes sense for the rumored hand-held Mac. Apple has been complaining about not being able to make their laptops smaller because of the optical drive.

Then Apple would just ship it's software with small software discs that can be used it the small optical drives and maintain compatibility with the larger ones.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Unless... dare I say it, Apple plans to do away with regular 5.25 optical drives and opt for much smaller drives that only handle the small discs and/or small HD discs. This would makes sense for the rumored hand-held Mac. Apple has been complaining about not being able to make their laptops smaller because of the optical drive.

Then Apple would just ship it's software with small software discs that can be used it the small optical drives and maintain compatibility with the larger ones.

For an ultraportable, I think the answer is an external drive, because a mini drive would mean being incompatible with everything and an use an external drive anyway. For most "on the go" stuff, I don't need an optical drive, I can pre-import anything I want to listen to or watch at home, and take the imported file with me on the computer.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

This is good news as far as I'm concerned as it means Mac users will be able to use those 8cm DVD camcorders.

Btw, I am an avid AI reader but I find some the editing appalling. This article is a prime example. Please make an effort in this area as it makes reading much more enjoyable.

Take your own advice???
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Pffft.

This is not what is patented. The points are

1) adapter should be shippable in the same size package as the mini disk

2) cannot assume people have one of the above.

The article acknowledges that there are rigid solutions out there.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Are we sure this is Apple's filling or even their project? Or is it just this Tony Fadell guy?

It seems odd that Apple would care to develop something so... lame.

It sort of reminds me of:

Apple, who always seems so concerned with keeping it easy for the consumers, should probably just opt for the slot-loaders that read both sizes of disc.

If this IS Apple-related, one has to wonder... why all the new interest in mini discs? Trying to make everyone happy by putting a mini optical drive in an ultra-portable or something?

Weird.

-Clive

Your post was so awesome that you copied and pasted it over at MacRumors!
  • Reply 47 of 72
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    This whole debate is completely weird. I don't understand Apple's moves here with regard to CDs.

They made the switch to slot-loaders, knowing full well that they don't work well with 8cm discs.

They now recognize that 8cm discs have advantages, especially in software distribution and digital video.

They are obviously experimenting with convoluted solutions to allow Macs to accept 8cm discs.

Why don't they just bring back tray loaders and make life easier for everybody?

What advantage does the slot-load have over tray-load, aside from Jobs' obsession with looks?
  • Reply 48 of 72
    If Apple really wants to impress us, they should work on a adapter that goes the other way (it lets you play full size discs in a mini optical drive).
  • Reply 49 of 72
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    How long before these get 'eaten' by your slot loader?! I wonder if Apple will cover that in their warranty?
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

How long before these get 'eaten' by your slot loader?! I wonder if Apple will cover that in their warranty?

Why would they? this is the first time We have heard of it, it can't be a common thing, ITS ONLY HAPPENED TO YOU!!!

Isn't that the standard line ?
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whalt View Post

Not to say that this particular solution to the problem isn't kind of goofy and a potential support nightmare.

I can't see any product coming out of this patent. It was probably filed because some engineer came up with an idea at a brainstorming meeting, and Apple wants to make sure nobody else beats them to the punch, just in case the concept becomes commercially viable in the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmcglinn View Post

Remember CD-Caddy's for the old caddy load cdrom drives? At least they didn't fold up so small I could still find them.

Caddys were a great idea. Well, if you had the money to buy a whole bunch of them. If you have a separate caddy for each of your most commonly used discs (say, your favorite games), then you don't have to worry about them getting scratched as they are repeatedly inserted and removed.

Unfortunately, their expense, and the fact that it's a pain to constantly load/remove the caddies (if you only have the one that came with the computer), made it a commercial failure in most cases.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post

If Apple really wants to impress us, they should work on a adapter that goes the other way (it lets you play full size discs in a mini optical drive).

Actually, it's technically possible, sort of. CDs record data in a spiral track that starts at the center hub and works out. If you could cut away the sides of a small drive to make a large CD fit, the drive would be able to read it. (As long as there's no data beyond where the head can move, of course.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I always hated tray loaders ... 3) Hit Eject (wait, Eject? Why? I want to INJECT it)

I always wondered about why they label the button eject. If I was designing a player, I'd label it "open/close". Come to think of it, I think there are some drives that use that nomenclature.

Quote:

It's a small advantage, but I love anything that doesn't waste my time with weird design choices, it just saddens me that Apple didn't think to add in 8 cm compatibility beforehand as I'd much prefer smaller discs since I rarely need to use them anyway and I rarely fill up the whole disc.

As was mentioned before, many of Apple's slot-loading drives do support 8cm discs. Unfortunately, not all of them do, so you can't assume that they're all compatible.

IMO, having only some drives compatible is worse than none. If none are compatible, you'll never try using small discs. If some are compatible, you may get into the habit of using 8cm discs and then stick one into an incompatible drive without thinking about it, necessitating a trip to the repair shop to extract it.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:

I always hated tray loaders, their design was always so damn clunky. The steps to putting in a DVD in a tray loader are as follows:

1) Hit Eject

2) Place DVD in

3) Hit Eject (wait, Eject? Why? I want to INJECT it)

The steps for putting a DVD into a slot loader:

1) Put it in

True but the small amount of time you save by not having to open a tray is more than made up by the 2x transfer speed of a tray loader. Trays are much quieter too.

Quote:

(still doesn't beat the simple design of the floppy disk)

But flash does fortunately. I wish flash would take over completely as soon as possible. You can get a Micro SD card the size of your finger nail with 2GB storage. Instant access time after inserting in the drive - no spin-up. Fast transfer. No noise whatsoever. Light and compact.

The only thing holding it back is price.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can get a Micro SD card the size of your finger nail with 2GB storage.

Nothing like a storage device so small you can't find it when it drops on the carpet.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Hey, maybe Apple is really thinking different about the future.

Is there an 8cm spec for HD-DVD discs?
  • Reply 57 of 72
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The application is not about the "ring" itself, it's about the collapse function. And I don't think the ring is rotating with the small size disk. Isn't it just there to center the disk on insertion, and when the drive sticks the center pole into the disk to mount it, it lifts it a millimeter or so before rotation starts? On eject it lowers it again, releases it (into the "ring") and ejects it.

I think it was really ignorant of Apple to rule out 8 mm discs when they went for the slot loading design. Clearly Nintendo solved it, why didn't Apple? 8 mm discs aren't that popular, but at least they're out there, used as business cards, in camcorders and stuff. They should have solved this the day the first slot loading drive was shipped.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Makes no sense whatsoever, these small disks have been around for years and haven't caught on at all.

I can't imagine why they'd bother trying to patent something like this, it's just another patent that will never ever get used in the real world.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I think it was really ignorant of Apple to rule out 8 mm discs when they went for the slot loading design. Clearly Nintendo solved it, why didn't Apple?

You make it sound as if Apple designs optical drives. They don't. They buy drives from third parties, just like every other computer vendor does.

Some drives support small discs, some don't. The interesting question here is whether Apple was forced to abandon the feature (perhaps because of vendor unavailability in drives with the required speed/features), or because they chose to abandon it, or if they just don't think it's important enough to consider when selecting vendors.

In the case of Nintendo, the feature is a mandatory product requirement - needed for compatibility with GameCube discs. Apple has no such product requirement.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Hey, maybe Apple is really thinking different about the future.

Is there an 8cm spec for HD-DVD discs?

Oh, you mean the format that couldn't put a production writer on the market for over a year past its introduction and is still limited to 1x writing on dual layer media, while its rival has nearly the same capacity on one layer, is at 4x and climbing and already has 8cm recordable media available?