OSX default startup on new iMacs a major problem.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
OSX cannot sucessfully and fully network with NT networks (probably the most common cross platform network)I am sure that the OS9 option will still exist. But Until they fix this I think it is a mistake that will only piss off many IT people.

Maybe they will release OS 10.2 by then and it will fix the problem. I know I can't use OSX until this is fixed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I'm sure the great majority of new iMac buyers won't be trying to connect to many NT networks... I don't exactly think the iMac was designed for those in IT.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    it's too hard to boot up for the first time. click system preferences, click startup disk, slect OS 9 and reboot?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    The people who are worried about NT networks can figure that one out.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    If we're talking about IT people, then we're talking about corporate computers, not individual home computers. And corporations don't buy computers unless they have people who know the basics of how to operate them -- like how to reset the startup folder and boot into OS9 if that's required for compatibility with the company network.

Not an issue!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Any Mac coming into a major company these days is probably getting reimaged with OS 9 as the default (and only) OS. It will be a while before companies are sufficiently versed with the new system to roll it out. The company I work for is still testing OS X, and all new Macs purchased get set up in 9, and they even take your system disks away.

(They also reimage any Windows XP boxes with Win2K, but that's another story I guess.)
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Where I work they looked at X and it was so useless they just booted into 9 and forgot about it.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Where I work they looked at X and it was so useless they just booted into 9 and forgot about it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are they all anti-OS X like you?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

<strong>Where I work they looked at X and it was so useless they just booted into 9 and forgot about it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 9 of 31
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member

No doubt it was the fifteen minutes spent resizing Finder windows that did it.

Scott, you are a treasure.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

Ignorance is bliss....

IT and NT managers are sometimes an ignorant lot. C'mon, you can't tell me that there is NO possibility even now that this can't be done? Third party software or otherwise?

Nothing...? An embarrassment on either their part or Apple's...

I'd be interested in seeing someone's light bulb pop up...
  • Reply 11 of 31
    katekate Posts: 172member
    Well it works here with a NT4 box. Entering sharenames and workgroups and passwords is nothing for newbies and annoys the hell out of me to be frank, however I have file access both ways. The current SMB version in X is inferior to that of X Server I think, but it is not failing completely.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>

Ignorance is bliss....

IT and NT managers are sometimes an ignorant lot. C'mon, you can't tell me that there is NO possibility even now that this can't be done? Third party software or otherwise?

Nothing...? An embarrassment on either their part or Apple's...

I'd be interested in seeing someone's light bulb pop up...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mac users can be an "ignorant lot" too. The major problem with OS X where I "work" was AppleTalk. Let's see if I remember. NT 4 supports AppleTalk. OS X only supports AppleTalk via TCP/IP. So there was no way to use the existing AppleTalk share on the NT system. There is no AppleTalk via IP for NT 4, only 2000 or XP (???). The department IS NOT going to "upgrade" the server to 2000/XP just to get AppleTalk over IP. In fact they can't do it. So OS X was a no go.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Kate:

<strong>Well it works here with a NT4 box. Entering sharenames and workgroups and passwords is nothing for newbies and annoys the hell out of me to be frank, however I have file access both ways. The current SMB version in X is inferior to that of X Server I think, but it is not failing completely.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe it's been fixed? I don't know and don't care. IMO Apple is the one that needs to get this shit working. If they were smart they'd sign a deal with Microsoft to assure that file access to Windows machine will be there and work.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    " I don't know and don't care " brands your statements as emotional opinion and not logical reasoning. But, I already knew that.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by jimmac:

<strong>" I don't know and don't care " brands your statements as emotional opinion and not logical reasoning. But, I already knew that. </strong><hr></blockquote>

No it doesn't. It just means that I don't care. Mostly because I don't care if some handful of Mac users start using OS X where I work. For that to happen I'd have to go over there and tell them that it *may* be working now and tell them they have to buy the free update and then ....

But that's not going to happen because I don't care if they use it.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 31

<strong>

Mac users can be an "ignorant lot" too. The major problem with OS X where I "work" was AppleTalk. Let's see if I remember. NT 4 supports AppleTalk. OS X only supports AppleTalk via TCP/IP. So there was no way to use the existing AppleTalk share on the NT system. There is no AppleTalk via IP for NT 4, only 2000 or XP (???). The department IS NOT going to "upgrade" the server to 2000/XP just to get AppleTalk over IP. In fact they can't do it. So OS X was a no go.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought AppleTalk came back in 10.1 ?

Michael
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I don't know? If I see the comptuer guy I'll tell him to check it out. I wont though because I don't care.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

<strong>But that's not going to happen because I don't care if they use it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah...ignorance is bliss...just kidding Scott H.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    It's just a YP (HP?) not a MP.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 31
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    It is an emotional statement. The statements context followed " maybe it's been fixed " but, later you say " Apple is the one who's got to get this shit working " but, later you say you " don't care ". Which is it Scott H?

Please don't start that broken record about the the free update. I got it for free very easily and I don't know anyone who didn't. Heck the guy that works in the university bookstore where I work got 10 copies to hand out!

This is the attitude that ended your job as moderator at MacNN isn't it? Sorry, but I think it's just childish.