Doesnt iMacs 800 G4 make you excited about the next Powermacs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The imac just got a 700 G4 and an 800 G4 chip. I am just as stunned as you all are about the PM no show. I think that the next G4 in the PM line will be far and away more amazing than that of the iMacs. It has to be and soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'll be excited as long as it comes VERY soon.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    POWERMACS ARE COMMING....TOMORROW.

Todays keynote was to sync up with the time cover, to steal billG's thunder and generate consumer hype.

But it leaves a massive Vacuum in the whole line,

Tomorrows keynote will be Powermacs and possibly PowerBook, but it doesn't need the hype.

The message today is very clear. CONSUMER. Let all the press get it for tomorrows Covers, distributed to the CONSUMER, and then release the PRO stuff.

NON-MAC Consumers need to see the HYPE, but the pros will be actively looking at Apple for the Powermacs.

Hope Im right???
  • Reply 2 of 25
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Keynote tomorrow? By whom, pray tell?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    the (allegedly) Fat bloke, can't remember his name!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Did I miss something? Are there TWO keynotes? Whaaa?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The keynot tomrrow will be "Power of X"

Only the OS.

Speakers are Phil Schiller and Avie (forgot his last name)
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Yeah the Powermacs will be updated, Apple will not have the consumer and Pro lines this close. I can just see it now........ Steve strolls on stage,...."oh,..and one more thing...." Ok maybe not tomorrow but the will be updated soon.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Avie Tevanian I believe.

Steve wouldn't miss his opportunity to display the new G5s. I think it's coming but not tomorrow...
  • Reply 9 of 25
    rbaldrbald Posts: 108member
    What is the use of having a G4 imac running at 800mhz with a 100mhz bus! This defeats the whole purpose of the G4! And the price!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 25
    bubbabubba Posts: 7member
    As posted a while earlier.. I am excited that Apple came out with a great machine for "Joe Consumer" That is who I am.

I have a question though.

Why is it so important for everyone to have faster processors?

What would I gain from a Faster Processor?

I am buying the mac for the software and it looked pretty darn fast to me. Heck,, Steve brought up a thousand pictures faster than I can say "Look at this"

My 2 cents. But I remember hype stating that processors clock speed does not matter. Why does it now?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Oh come on guys. How many times does it take? Don't you realize that Apple can take its time on introducing new products because of its fan base?

New PowerMacs will be introduced at either Tokyo or some other event in late Winter/Spring. We're not going to get the G5 for a long time. Apple goes up in speed with small increments. Look at this...

For the iMac:

233MHz

266MHz

333MHz

400MHz

500MHz

600MHz

700MHz

800MHz

PowerMac:

266MHz

300MHz

333MHz

400MHz

450MHz

500MHz

500X2MHz

733MHz

800X2MHz

Doesn't this give you a clue? Apple's not gonna give us a quantum leap from Dual 800s to single 1600...thats just not going to happen. In best likeliness, we'll see a 1GHz, with the ever slightest chance of going a little over 1GHz. Dual processors, doubtful in the top config.

Every expo, right before, people throw out all logic and reason with sky-high expectations. Could you picture Jobs up on the stage saying, "Look at our 1.6GHz G5 and how quickly it can open iTunes"...I can't. Apple isn't that kind of company anymore that tries to get the fastest stuff out no matter what the cost. The PC market is different because in order to be competitive, the only thing they can do are price wars and spec increases. Apple is in a niche of its own, so they can fall behind with at their own pace without losing (too much) marketshare.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Arn't the People who attend "The POWER of X" the very same people you would want to show "The POWER of Apollo/G5" too. I tell you its coming tomorrow.

Sell the solutions to the consumer

Sell the Power (X and G5) to the pros
  • Reply 13 of 25
    For an appropriate demonstration, the intro of the G5 will likely take 1/1.5 hours by itself just as the intro of the G4 did in Aug. 99.

We aren't going to see any hardware introductions tomorrow. Sorry.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    The Apple Store is down......
  • Reply 15 of 25
    ichmulichmul Posts: 21member
    [quote]Originally posted by rbald:

<strong>What is the use of having a G4 imac running at 800mhz with a 100mhz bus! This defeats the whole purpose of the G4! And the price!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

right, but my sugesstion is that a 133 Mhz systembus is only a jumper setting away, like they have done it with the iBook (66 Mhz to 100 Mhz)
  • Reply 16 of 25
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    G5--what G5? where's the tech info?

How many integer units, how many floating point units. Pipeline length? Instructions per cycle? Bus speed, bus package?

Uh--altivec--how many registers?

Ooops. Not a shred of info--but dammit its coming.

Delusional. MOTO couldn't even produce enough 7460's at HIP6 for this show, and you think the G5 is coming soon at HIP7. Delusional.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by rbald:

<strong>What is the use of having a G4 imac running at 800mhz with a 100mhz bus! This defeats the whole purpose of the G4! And the price!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Piss off TROLL!! Don't listen to any of his posts.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Ok, first off, I am totally floored by the new iMac. I want one! That is the coolest ****ing thing I've seen in a long time.

Putting a G4 in the iMac was very smart, and it also bodes well for G5 powermacs.

Remember the last time both iMacs and Powermacs used the same processor, the G4 came along quite soon. The same will happen with the G5.

Normally I'd be dissapointed, but this iMac is the penultimate in cool. It takes up virtually NO space and it's just....COOL!

Did I say I want one? The screen is a bit small, but the coolness makes up for it. Doeh!

RDF is in full force on my ass!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I am soo hapy that the iMac's came out with a G4 at that speed. The Apolo PowerMac should be a whoper speed demon.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    The only optimistic thread on AI? Too bad everyone is so short sited.