Mac OS X = UNIX with a GUI?

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 186
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The world-champion trolls are able to get as many replies as possible without getting banned. One of the best techniques, as we see demonstrated here, is to camouflage the anti-Mac rant as some sort of puzzlement or innocent question.

He gave himself away by going out of character and flaming. Not top-quality troll. The best of them just continue the innocent question routine, play dumb, pretend not to understand the answers, despite all flames against them. He's almost there but not quite.

Also, he didn't succeed in fomenting a flame war between the other posters. Maybe on a non-Mac site it would have succeeded much more easily - in fact, I'm pretty sure it would have. And it would have often resulted in other posters getting banned and him surviving to troll again - the Holy Grail of the troll.

That won't happen here. In my forums, I don't allow trolls to control who gets deleted or banned. I'm not moderating this thread because I participated in it as a member, but if I had not participated it would be a prime candidate.
  • Reply 182 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

The world-champion trolls are able to get as many replies as possible without getting banned. One of the best techniques, as we see demonstrated here, is to camouflage the anti-Mac rant as some sort of puzzlement or innocent question.

He gave himself away by going out of character and flaming. Not top-quality troll. The best of them just continue the innocent question routine, play dumb, pretend not to understand the answers, despite all flames against them. He's almost there but not quite.

Also, he didn't succeed in fomenting a flame war between the other posters. Maybe on a non-Mac site it would have succeeded much more easily - in fact, I'm pretty sure it would have. And it would have often resulted in other posters getting banned and him surviving to troll again - the Holy Grail of the troll.

That won't happen here. In my forums, I don't allow trolls to control who gets deleted or banned. I'm not moderating this thread because I participated in it as a member, but if I had not participated it would be a prime candidate.

But by replying to troll posts, they'll just keep coming back - as for Windows vs OSX, I don't think there is a right answer, I find both great and peculiar at some things, and I also have no idea how that got brought up in a OSX/UNIX thread.
  • Reply 183 of 186
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    He said

Quote:

Simply put, I don't see anything in Mac OS X that I cannot get from either Windows or Linux. The high level software bundled with Mac OS X doesn't compensate for having a minority OS, not for me at least.

Prime platform-wars flamebait. If that was in response to something said by another member, it might be different. But in a new thread in a Mac-centric forum, it's flamebait.

The use of the "Unix plus GUI" was intentional - a vague, ill-defined term that generates much debate about what the hell it means. If you include everything in all of the frameworks in Mac OS X as "The GUI", then it is true. Of course it is hard to see how numerous frameworks like accelerate.framework could be called "GUI"...

Pure "Unix plus GUI" could be interpreted to mean that the "mouse and keyboard actions of the user are translated to specific BSD shell commands", which of course is not in any way true of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 184 of 186
    I think sometimes it comes down to preach, discuss and answering questions on AI. Some people come to ask a question on something they need help on (and those who know, answer and help). Some come to discuss things (do you like the new "x?" or when do you think the new "y" will come out?). Finally, there are those who just want to hear themselves talk. If someone comes asking a question but doesn't really want an answser... that kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
  • Reply 185 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

This must be in the Windoze Uzers Guide or something. I have seen hundreds of anti-Apple posts over the last few years whining "BUT I WANNA DRAG AND DROP WAAHH....."

List of Windoze users complaints:

- I wanna fullscreen every app

- I wanna drag and drop my mp3s that I stole

- I wanna load my computer FROM my iPod

- I wanna cut and paste, not copy and paste, files

- I don't like command key why can't it be control key (hint: Mac OS came BEFORE Windows)

- I wanna menu in every window

- I wanna get rid of the Dock and the menu bar

- I want the Trash on the Desktop

- I want the Dashboard widgets on the Desktop

- I wanna change all the colors and sizes of everything

- I wanna call everything a "program" instead of an application

- I want Apple to license FairPlay to all the other music players so I can "CHOOSE"

- I wanna order parts from Apple

- I want Apple to make a "midrange tower"

and the Grand Prize Winner,

- I wanna "upgrade TEH VIDEO CARD"

LoL @ Wintards

Anyways... Actually, you can put Dashboard widgets on the Desktop. You just have to enable dev mode via the terminal and relaunch the Dock. You can find the instructions on OS X Daily.
  • Reply 186 of 186
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Well this has gone on for too long. Please leave the troll alone.