Briefly: Apple TV, QuickBooks warning, backdating suit, Triple Play

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    What I have in mind are the bonuses paid to Steve Jobs and his pet Vice-Presidents over the last 2 years: Over one billion dollars, most of it through illegal backdating of stock options.



    I don't know if it's that high, no idea. And I don't care. Apple is doing well, share values are going up too. I do get annoyed when I see our Telstra chairman getting a 15million bonus as he (IMO) ruins the company.



    So anyway, none of your reply negates what I said.



    It's not illegal due to being bad for shareholders or Apple, it's illegal because the payments they made weren't made abundantly clear to shareholders.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    What I have in mind are the bonuses paid to Steve Jobs and his pet Vice-Presidents over the last 2 years: Over one billion dollars, most of it through illegal backdating of stock options.



    All the back-dated options of dubious nature were not from the last 2 years.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    And it would seem that most bonuses paid since 1997, since Steve Jobs returned to Apple, were illegally backdated, billions of dollars in illegal bonuses.



    Bull. IIRC, Apple had to account for about $84 million after they restated their accounts. A lot of money perhaps, except when you think that Apple's market capitalisation (ie shareholders' money) has more than doubled since Jan 1 2007. That's >80 billion in one year. The amount given to executives improperly over a period of a few years was thus less than 0.1% of the gain in value this year alone!!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    Greedy Steve had it coming, as if the 4 billions he made from the sale of Pixar were not enough. Pixar was bought with the money Steve Jobs received from the sale of his Apple founder's shares in 1985.



    Steve Jobs is paid more than $15 millions per year to be Apple's CEO. To put matters in perspective, a bank CEO is paid $6 millions per year, all bonuses included. And Steve Jobs has a high school education. Why should he run a multinational corporation? And continue to do so after a 10 and a half year tenure? A CEO's position is not for life. Otherwise, it's called a tyrany.







    "Apple’s CEO, Steve Jobs, currently holds approximately 5.5 million shares of Apple common

    stock. Since rejoining Apple in 1997, Mr. Jobs has never sold a share of Apple stock. His last

    equity grant was awarded in 2003, and vested in full in 2006. Mr. Jobs currently holds no unvested equity awards. In fiscal 2007, Mr. Jobs’s entire compensation consisted of his $1 annual salary. " from the Apple 10-K FY07

    http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...L_10K_FY07.pdf



    Read the effing financial statements before you spread your uninformed and malicious drivel!
  • Reply 23 of 30
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    Could it be a reference to the ability to buy a digital movie on iTunes and play it on...

    1) a Mac

    2) an iPod/iPhone

    3) an AppleTV



    I would bet that's exactly what it is. My source told me that the real reason for the new authentication chips required for the latest generation of iPods was that they would soon be able to output 720p video. AFAIK, the MPAA demands some type of copy-protection for anything 480p or greater.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    And Steve Jobs has a high school education.



    Since when did having any formal education become a prerequisite for being successful in business? Some of the stupidest financial people are the most educated, and vice-versa. There's no correlation that formal education leads to business acumen.



    John D. Rockefeller -- first clerking job at 16

    Howard Hughes -- dropped out of university

    Andrew Carnegie -- self-taught mostly from books from Colonel James Anderson's library

    Kirk Kerkorian - dropped out of the 8th grade

    Sheldon Adelson -- I don't believe came anywhere near a college.

    I also believe Ingvar Kamprad (whose early political affiliations I do not agree with in any way shape or form) did not go to university.



    There are many more. University is a wonderful opportunity/place to learn at; a degree hardly guarantees one learned anything, though.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post


    Since when did having any formal education become a prerequisite for being successful in business? Some of the stupidest financial people are the most educated, and vice-versa. There's no correlation that formal education leads to business acumen.



    John D. Rockefeller -- first clerking job at 16

    Howard Hughes -- dropped out of university

    Andrew Carnegie -- self-taught mostly from books from Colonel James Anderson's library

    Kirk Kerkorian - dropped out of the 8th grade

    Sheldon Adelson -- I don't believe came anywhere near a college.

    I also believe Ingvar Kamprad (whose early political affiliations I do not agree with in any way shape or form) did not go to university.



    There are many more. University is a wonderful opportunity/place to learn at; a degree hardly guarantees one learned anything, though.



    I think you are either forgetting or intentionally leaving out one of the more famous college dropouts....



    didn't the leader of the evil empire fail to finish college?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    There's Bill Lear too, the list of his work looks impressive. Edison had almost no official schooling and his business became pretty powerful, might still be if he didn't become too arrogant. Tesla apparently dropped out of college, but did so pretty late, at one stage he could have owned Edison's company outright.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Instead of looking skeptically at successful people without a college diploma, perhaps we should pause to consider all the highly paid university graduates in business and politics who do such a remarkable job at ruining companies and governments.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post


    I think you are either forgetting or intentionally leaving out one of the more famous college dropouts....



    didn't the leader of the evil empire fail to finish college?



    I recalled that I thought that I dreamt he went to Harvard, but I wasn't sure if he finished or not. If he didn't, another good (if evil ) example -- although no one's richer than he is.



    The main thing is I hate that "college = success" smugness people try to equate to the field of business. Give me a genius who's self-taught over a "smart" college grad any day. Except maybe in the field of medicine... I do want my doctors to have their degrees... but even so many of them aren't worth their salt despite their degrees and certifications.



    On the other hand, money does not equal: taste, smarts in any other field, superior moral rudders, charming personalities and many other traits that wealthy people try to comp.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Troy Tulowitski had an unassisted Triple Play® this year. How much is he going to have to pay Apple?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    mr_zebramr_zebra Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    And it would seem that most bonuses paid since 1997, since Steve Jobs returned to Apple, were illegally backdated, billions of dollars in illegal bonuses.



    Illegal means just that: illegal, forbidden.



    Greedy Steve had it coming, as if the 4 billions he made from the sale of Pixar were not enough. Pixar was bought with the money Steve Jobs received from the sale of his Apple founder's shares in 1985.



    Steve Jobs is paid more than $15 millions per year to be Apple's CEO. To put matters in perspective, a bank CEO is paid $6 millions per year, all bonuses included. And Steve Jobs has a high school education. Why should he run a multinational corporation? And continue to do so after a 10 and a half year tenure? A CEO's position is not for life. Otherwise, it's called a tyrany.







    *Most* of the bonuses are illegal? Do you work for the SEC? If you are, I'm sure you're aware that you're not allowed to discuss details of a case you're investigating...



    Further, the fact that Jobs doesn't have a college education doesn't mean he isn't qualified to run a business the size of Apple. I think it's pretty clear he's a successful business man... people can be successful without a piece of paper to allow them to be, you know.



    I suggest remedial maths classes, dear. You say: "... continue to do so after a 10 and a half year tenure? A CEO's position is not for life." Steve is in fact in his 50s, he's not 10.
Sign In or Register to comment.