More studios reported linked to iTunes rentals; iPhone 1.1.3 leaked?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I can't believe you'd even think that video was real. Unless AT&T is about to undergo a name change to "Nate," that's just a jailbroken iPhone with a home screen editing hack switched on.

What evidence do you have to support this?
  • Reply 62 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think the problem is that their alternative so far has generally fallen short in terms of marketability and acceptance compared to what they're really competing against, which is those two systems.

Apple's problems in this area are simple ones. Stop trying to make your suppliers do what you want them to do, and be more accommodating.

That will take care of the terrible lack of content on Apple's site (in video, and soon, possibly, music as well).

When they get the thousands of movies, and thousands of Tv shows, they will then have something to sell everybody.

The fact that Apple has sold a lot of movies with the paucity of content they have now, shows that their model of selling is valid.

It's just their lack of content that holds them back.

Netflix and blockbuster are business models from the past. They have tried to modernize, and have come halfway, but, in the long run, it may not be enough.

TiVo is moving away from the hardware business. The CEO said that in an interview, which I quoted several weeks ago.

This generation, and the next, will be far less tolerant of waiting for something to arrive. People are into the " I want it now, mommy" cry they supposedly lost at the end of childhood. Apple is trying to supply, no, ENCOURAGE, this way of thinking.

They may be the ones to do it. Without iPod system compatibility, other companies are going to have a Hell of a time selling into this crowd. It's one of the reasons why WalMart is thought to have failed.

BUT, they need content.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's real guys, that Nate guy wouldn't gamble whatever rep. he has on this thing. I'd say the update will get released at MW with this stuff and other things not yet seen.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    No way anyone' camera could make things look that good and bright from an iphone screen. They would have had to Photoshop the image even if it is real.

"Locate Me" sounds like Apple, but it would be more useful as a one button click on the home page ... on those nights in the weather when you want to know where you are right away.

Flash is okay, but hardly a deal killer.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Of course Apple would automagically convert the movies to iPod formats and create and Netflix area within the iTunes Store.

Apple legally does not have the authority to do this. That's the point. This authority lies with the licensor of the movie (the studio).
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

No way anyone' camera could make things look that good and bright from an iphone screen. They would have had to Photoshop the image even if it is real.

"Locate Me" sounds like Apple, but it would be more useful as a one button click on the home page ... on those nights in the weather when you want to know where you are right away.

Flash is okay, but hardly a deal killer.

You can take a picture of an iPhone screen and it will look great. It's perfect for that.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

"Locate Me" sounds like Apple, but it would be more useful as a one button click on the home page

Actually it's Google, you know them?
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

I know it is not necessary but why aren't there lyrics for songs and has anyone else experienced all too frequent crashes if you try to do certain things i.e. listening to a song and browsing in Safari?

As I understand it, lyrics fall under a different umbrella of rights. All those sites suppling lyrics are doing so without authorization of the copyright holder. Not that many people care, but Apple surely isn't going to add them unless they it by legal means. Though it sure would be nice to have lyrics and recording information available.

I haven't had an issue with iPhone Safari crashes since the first firmware. Version 1.1.2 is rock solid for me.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is possible that yours is, but most people's personal lives (which is primarily the market that the iPhone is currently aimed at) are not that complicated.........

Don't worry k2director, I'm with you. I need a dedicated task manager as well. I hope this appears in the new firmware and it is such a given that nobody bothered to mention it.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As I understand it, lyrics fall under a different umbrella of rights. All those sites suppling lyrics are doing so without authorization of the copyright holder. Not that many people care, but Apple surely isn't going to add them unless they it by legal means. Though it sure would be nice to have lyrics and recording information available.

I haven't had an issue with iPhone Safari crashes since the first firmware. Version 1.1.2 is rock solid for me.

I thought Apple made a deal with the largest established lyrics provider. My poor memory for names doesn't bring up which company it is though.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I thought Apple made a deal with the largest established lyrics provider. My poor memory for names doesn't bring up which company it is though.

I remember talk of negotiations with Gracenote (who supply the CD track info in iTunes), but I don't recall any agreement being announced. Is this what you are thinking about?

Perhaps something will be announced at MWSF. If so, the interesting point will be how will Apple "wow" us with the way they're presented...
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

I remember talk of negotiations with Gracenote (who supply the CD track info in iTunes), but I don't recall any agreement being announced. Is this what you are thinking about?

Perhaps something will be announced at MWSF. If so, the interesting point will be how will Apple "wow" us with the way they're presented...

It could have been.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If it is a copy right issue then why are there lyrics available in iTunes and on iPods?
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

If it is a copy right issue then why are there lyrics available in iTunes and on iPods?

A blank template is provided not the actual copyrighted material. But why is album art provided but not lyrics?