New/Updated Apps for 2008

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since the Mac Pro upgrade and the sub-notebook have been done to death, I thought I'd chime in with a question about what applications everyone is excited about for MWSF.

We know that Redmond will release Office, and that Apple has already taken iLife and iWork to '08.

I think the biggest non-Apple release will be Delicious Library's much-anticipated 2.0 upgrade, which people have been buzzing about for months. I think Now Software's NightHawk is just entering beta, so that's a non-starter for this show. Rapidweaver's also supposed to be going to 3.7 in early 2008, but I haven't heard how revolutionary this release will be.

In order not to get drowned out by whatever Apple announces on the 15th, we should start seeing indie developers start issuing press releases next week.

What apps are you most looking forward to using in '08?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Since the Mac Pro upgrade and the sub-notebook have been done to death, I thought I'd chime in with a question about what applications everyone is excited about for MWSF.

We know that Redmond will release Office, and that Apple has already taken iLife and iWork to '08.

I think the biggest non-Apple release will be Delicious Library's much-anticipated 2.0 upgrade, which people have been buzzing about for months. I think Now Software's NightHawk is just entering beta, so that's a non-starter for this show. Rapidweaver's also supposed to be going to 3.7 in early 2008, but I haven't heard how revolutionary this release will be.

In order not to get drowned out by whatever Apple announces on the 15th, we should start seeing indie developers start issuing press releases next week.

What apps are you most looking forward to using in '08?

Out of curiosity, what kind of improvements would in a Delicious Library 2.0. I tested the 1.0 software a while ago, and it was very cool, although sort of a novelty, and I can't think of anything that really needed improvement.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    They had been playing their cards close to the vest, but they let Wired have a look a couple months ago.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Thanks for starting this. I want to make the annual poll on announcements for the keynote, but was short on apps related stuff; I think this year will be pretty much hardware related.

iLife and iWork are both '08, but I think they have been out long enough for some major tweaks that Apple would let sit at '08, sorta like they did with Aperture 1.5 a while back.

- iMovie could be enhanced to allow 3rd party effects like the ThreeGee investment many people own

- iMovie could also benefit from mixing the good from iMovie HD: iDVD export, etc.

- iWork could benefit from a few tweaks as well

Leopard is out and there could be a nice version 10.5.2 that adds a few things people have been asking for.

- iTunes will receive an update to allow better movie downloads and add rental ability

Anything else?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm waiting for

iTunes 8

Aperture 2.0

Delicious Library 2.0

Yojimbo 2.0

Omni Outliner 4

Omni Graffle 5

Intaglio 3.0

Lineform 2.0

ARD 4

XSAN 2.0

Quicktime 8
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm waiting for

Quicktime 8

What is new in Quicktime 8? A new player / new API / what?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Another incremental update to iWorks would be much appreciated. There is plenty of gaps in 2 of 3 apps presently [Keynote being the most mature].
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

What is new in Quicktime 8? A new player / new API / what?

I don't know what direction Apple is going to they could be linking QT8/iTunes 8 and adding a lot of new functionality. Leopard's QT benefits are supposed to be much better video encoding/decoding and much better routing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Another incremental update to iWorks would be much appreciated. There is plenty of gaps in 2 of 3 apps presently [Keynote being the most mature].

Agreed. I'd like to see Numbers and Pages 2 get some upgrades and patches. I haven't used either extensively but more performance and fixes is always welcomed.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

I'm waiting for

...Lineform 2.0

I'd forgotten about Lineform. I'm not an artist myself and I haven't upgraded Illustrator in years.

Is it worth buying Lineform instead? It's a lot cheaper than even the Illustrator upgrade.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

I'd forgotten about Lineform. I'm not an artist myself and I haven't upgraded Illustrator in years.

Is it worth buying Lineform instead? It's a lot cheaper than even the Illustrator upgrade.

I haven't used it yet but I'm looking for a lightweight illustration program so Lineform or Intaglio will be looked at with their next major upgrades.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    The first app I can think of is Bento - FileMaker for the rest of us that is now a free beta and will be on the market in February. If Bento ends up with strong ties to iLife & iWork then Steve will spend just a bit more time with it. 5 to 15 minutes to push the app.

I believe that Steve J will also discuss the SDK for the iPhone & touch, but only in general terms. A few new apps for the iPhone/touch - maybe even a notepad. There will be a few consumer level apps that he might show off from Apple's friends.

Something from Google, using the SDK? Wouldn't be surprised as Google seems to like the iPhone platform.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Steve J talk about a new app that enhances iPhoto. Music has been a driving force dollar wise, but digital cameras have made iPhoto important to the average user on the Mac side.

Unfortunately the Keynote is only about 1 hour 45 minutes, which probably limits software presentations to 30 minutes max.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Unfortunately the Keynote is only about 1 hour 45 minutes

That is truly depressing. I would like to see a three hour keynote every six months.

• Reply 12 of 28
    The biggest problem with the keynote is that we don't get to see it live anymore.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

The biggest problem with the keynote is that we don't get to see it live anymore.

True, but at least we get news reports live from sources like Gizmondo or AppleInsider
  • Reply 14 of 28
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

I'd like to see Numbers and Pages 2 get some upgrades and patches. I haven't used either extensively but more performance and fixes is always welcomed.

It's Pages v3 now in iWork 08 btw.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Numbers cannot even open the spreadsheets that we use at work... and Excel 08 probably will not now either...

Please Apple, get numbers completely compatible with Excel 2003.. screw 2007 version...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It's Pages v3 now in iWork 08 btw.

Thanks ..I actually have iWork 08 but I always forget how many revs Pages has had.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbbaker123 View Post

Numbers cannot even open the spreadsheets that we use at work... and Excel 08 probably will not now either...

Please Apple, get numbers completely compatible with Excel 2003.. screw 2007 version...

I haven't had problems with basic Excel templates working in Numbers but the more complex stuff is probably a bit flaky.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    SuperDuper! 3 with Leopard support is way overdue. Since they've been sitting on it this long I'd assume they'll release it for MacWorld. This is the one piece of software that is preventing me from upgrading my Mac Pro: my "production machine".
  • Reply 18 of 28
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    My prediction: TypeStyler will at long last go OS X Native!!

• Reply 19 of 28
    Please let there be adobe director!

• Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Please let there be adobe director!

I think Adobe's done with releasing apps for the near future. Adobe updates go in waves.