New/Updated Apps for 2008

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I think Adobe's done with releasing apps for the near future. Adobe updates go in waves.

These first blurbs on the adobe website sort of gave me hope for at least a January 2008 announcement: http://www.adobe.com/products/direct...oduct/faq.html

It has been 4 years. I know they are incorporating some of the old director concepts into flash, but there will still be a need for products like director even with Astro.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

The first app I can think of is Bento - FileMaker for the rest of us that is now a free beta and will be on the market in February. If Bento ends up with strong ties to iLife & iWork then Steve will spend just a bit more time with it. 5 to 15 minutes to push the app.

I believe that Steve J will also discuss the SDK for the iPhone & touch, but only in general terms. A few new apps for the iPhone/touch - maybe even a notepad. There will be a few consumer level apps that he might show off from Apple's friends.

Something from Google, using the SDK? Wouldn't be surprised as Google seems to like the iPhone platform.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Steve J talk about a new app that enhances iPhoto. Music has been a driving force dollar wise, but digital cameras have made iPhoto important to the average user on the Mac side.

Unfortunately the Keynote is only about 1 hour 45 minutes, which probably limits software presentations to 30 minutes max.

It would be nice if Bento was more robust.

I think that an addition to iWork/iWeb could include a personal Wiki program. Lots of bugs with the opensource stuff---the Apple version would allow for wiki upload to iWeb or wiki on a stick.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Applications Update:

Murch has got his wish with a new version of Lineform. Looks fairly solid, and with a full-version price cheaper than the Illustrator upgrade, it's a steal.

Filemaker is showing off the final version of Bento. I still don't understand why this isn't a part of iWork, but what will be most interesting will be to see whether Bento has any influence on the next version of Filemaker.

Toronto's own Marketcircle is showing off the next version of Daylite. Marketcircle has some amazing programmers, and they've built links to Lightspeed, Filemaker and MoneyWorks. The only thing they lack is someone with a clue about building user interfaces. Daylite's is horrendous, and gets completely trounced by upstarts like Contactizer. The upcoming modular Nighthawk will also likely beat Daylite in usability.

Parliant has introduced a Home version of PhoneValet.

$49. is an amazing price point.

SoftPress has released a beta of Freeway 5. I'm not sure how this compares feature-wise to iWeb and Sandvox, but I'm sure web reviews are forthcoming from the Interweb's code monkeys.

Anybody else see anything interesting?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Hopefully we will see the successor to Shake v4.5.x…? Probably at NAB…?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Filemaker is showing off the final version of Bento. I still don't understand why this isn't a part of iWork, but what will be most interesting will be to see whether Bento has any influence on the next version of Filemaker.

I think it's a bad fit with iWork personally. The interface is like iLife and not like iWork at all. For that reason alone I can see why it's not in iWork. iWork needs a database, but Bento isn't it.

Quote:

Toronto's own Marketcircle is showing off the next version of Daylite. Marketcircle has some amazing programmers, and they've built links to Lightspeed, Filemaker and MoneyWorks. The only thing they lack is someone with a clue about building user interfaces. Daylite's is horrendous, and gets completely trounced by upstarts like Contactizer. The upcoming modular Nighthawk will also likely beat Daylite in usability.

The MoneyWorks integration got me interested in what Daylite was, but you're right about the interface. That looks less than nice.

Litespeed integration too is nice although I like Checkout - http://www.checkoutapp.com/ - who are also showing at Macworld but not with a new version I think.

Quote:

Parliant has introduced a Home version of PhoneValet.

$49. is an amazing price point.

Nice for small businesses too.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Hopefully we will see the successor to Shake v4.5.x?? Probably at NAB??

Yes! Bring on Phenomenon!

Frank777 thanks for the tip. I'm downloading Lineform 1.5 tonight and giving it a whirl.

Looking forward to Nighthawk as well.

I think Bento is a good start. I'd love to see them work on some sort of networking or sync for ver 1.5 or whatever comes next.

Please have Aperture 2.0 ready for PMA 08-

Final Cut Pro needs a new fresh UI Apple. If you add some goodies and seriously refresh the UI and improved the integration of apps in the suite you have a nice solid upgrade.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Garmin mentioned on one of their blogs that they would be demoing a new software product named "bobcat" at MWSF. Hopefully they're finally making good on their promise from two years ago to bring a native version of MapSource to the Mac.

Right now there isn't any good way to use a Garmin GPS unit without purchasing additional third-party software and maps. (More of a kludge than a real solution, since you can't actually load new maps onto the Garmin itself.) I've been waiting on the sidelines for two years waiting for official Mac support from any vendor before I pull the trigger and buy a handheld GPS...
  • Reply 28 of 28
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Hopefully we will see the successor to Shake v4.5.x?? Probably at NAB??

I think that's being shown as a "secret" at a FCP users meeting during MacWorld.

One thing I haven't seen yet is GTD organizers, which are supposed to be the next big thing.

You would think that they would be prominent at an event this early in the year, when people are making a conscious effort to become organized.