Apple filing proposes iMac-like notebook docking station

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's a floor wax.....It's a dessert topping!

Ooh, I think I just dated myself.

You know, SNL Season 1 is on DVD now, so it could be that you're really young and hip, spouting retro skits.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Wow.... seems like a really random (and fairly useless) patent filing.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Can you imagine all the internet cafes switching to a bunch of these docking stations? Everyone would just come in with their portable, plug it in and get to doing some real work while out and about.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    This is really interesting - presumably, a tablet style portable wouldn't have the screen real-estate to replace a 20/24" iMac...but if all or most of the guts is gone i'm sure they could find a way to have the existing LCD and hub for the rest of the connectors (still powered the same way with the single cable) in the chassis.

Someone pointed out above that all the iMac electronics are virtually the same as the portables except the hard disk and video on some models. There aren't alot of reasons why they couldn't do this.

Perhaps some indication of why the ACD's have gone so long without update? Could this be their replacement? I wouldn't expect it will look exactly like the iMac, maybe more slender like the ACD...

Speculation is fun.

Z
  • Reply 45 of 90
    apologies if I accidently put this in the wrong place (be gentle with me, it's my first post!)

I'm gonna take this thread on a slight tangent, but it's sort of on the same subject.

many many moons ago I was at an internal event in Nice for Apple, where they revealed the 20th Anniversary Mac (well an early prototype, cobbled together from a powerbook screen, a bose sound system and an enormous external power supply hidden under the table, which unfortunately the presenter blew up in rehearsals as he didn't switch the voltage to European power, so we never got to see it running!?!?) Anyway, I discussed with several Apple execs & internal developers during the event, ways of simplifying the portability of data between Macs, and how if an easily accessible & removable chasis were developed that could contain the start up drive, then it would be possible to swap hard drives simply between computers (without stripping the thing down using screwdrivers etc). Remember this was long before firewire was released (although it had been developed at the time) & USB. SCSI was the norm in those days.

There were hardware issues that negated this approach & development at the time, some of these to do with OS9 itself... but the hardware has moved on dramaticaly since then, as has the OS, so having a single hard drive & OS that can boot up on several machines is now possible. I already do this using an external firewire drive, to run a powerbook when I'm out of the office which I then use to boot and render AE files on a Mac Pro Tower in the office, I also sometimes use it on an iMac at home (booting from the external drive saves me having to copy the files and ensures I don't forget to copy any missing fonts etc).

But if I could physically swap over the hard drive (or the brains of the device so to speak), then think of the possibilities. A desktop in the office, whip out the drive, chuck it in your bag and stick it in your Mac at home, no missing files or waiting for synchronising & back ups. Or take it a step further, the iPod is a prime candidate, but if you were able to use your internal drive and insert it into a handheld device, then there you have your ultra portable device, the OQO killer <www.oqo.com> for those unfamiliar with it.

Obviously there are performance issues between laptop & desktop hard drives, but having this as an additional option, I can only see as an advantage. Plus with the development of future Mac Book Pros with flash based drives, it will get even easier

So if Apple were to look at making the hard drives (flash dives) more accessible & swappable, then I know that I would be one of the first in line to upgrade all my Macs.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    lifinolifino Posts: 38member
    Where I see this product going:

Schools. If my daughter's school were to go all Mac, with cheap, small tablets that were passed out to all students, then in class/library/study-hall etc. they could slide the tablet into this device and have access to the larger screen, external key, etc. I'd pay higher taxes to see my kids have access to something like that.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    1. Would seem like a hastle getting it in and out and of course you are tying a monitor's life to the laptop.

2. I'd prefer something that slides into hollow a base station under the monitor. Either integrated into the monitor stand or a separate docking station that the monitor fits on top of. (so any monitor is still useful after the laptop dies).

(UPDATE: Gee wonder where I got this idea from. Sorry. Just realized point 2 was the duo system from back in the day. Forgive me.)
  • Reply 48 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stewisawesome View Post

Didn't apple do this before with the PowerBook Duo and the Duo Dock? See here It seemed a fairly good idea the first time and this would be a great way to adapt the "ultra portable" to a home computer when you wanted to dock it or use a larger monitor.

Except that this new concept is much cleaner and simpler than the Duo Dock. The Duo Dock still has separate cables connecting the monitor to the dock (and to speakers, as well, if you use them). It also takes up much more desk space and would be much harder to move.

While it wouldn't suit everyone, I think this new design would be very useful for a lot of people. I have a MacBook Pro which I use when traveling and a 24" iMac on my desk. With this device, I could put a dock on my desk rather than an iMac.

It would save some money, but more importantly, it would allow me to use my computer without significant tradeoffs and without spending time syncing and moving files around.

I'd buy one.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikoji View Post

aBut if I could physically swap over the hard drive (or the brains of the device so to speak), then think of the possibilities. A desktop in the office, whip out the drive, chuck it in your bag and stick it in your Mac at home, no missing files or waiting for synchronising & back ups. Or take it a step further, the iPod is a prime candidate, but if you were able to use your internal drive and insert it into a handheld device, then there you have your ultra portable device, the OQO killer <www.oqo.com> for those unfamiliar with it.

Obviously there are performance issues between laptop & desktop hard drives, but having this as an additional option, I can only see as an advantage. Plus with the development of future Mac Book Pros with flash based drives, it will get even easier

So if Apple were to look at making the hard drives (flash dives) more accessible & swappable, then I know that I would be one of the first in line to upgrade all my Macs.

You can do this now. Get yourself an external USB2 or Firewire drive and keep all your files on that. Boot from the external drive. When you're done for the day, shut down and take it home.

No need for anything new.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zillatron View Post

omeone pointed out above that all the iMac electronics are virtually the same as the portables except the hard disk and video on some models. There aren't alot of reasons why they couldn't do this.

True. However, it seems to me that the real challenge woiuld be cooling. A MacBook Pro can generate quite a bit of heat. If it's closed, it's going to be even worse. Putting it into an enclosure like this would make it still worse.

Unless they can come up with some clever cooling system, they're likely to be limited in how much processor power they can use. Might be OK for student use, for example, but not as a high end desktop replacement. IMHO.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wonder where those came from, because they don't follow the conventions required by the patent office. They would be rejected.

Sorry, but the patent office doesn't reject drawings. They can accept or reject a patent - but the acceptance is based on the claims, not the drawings.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I hate to admit it, but I think this dock looks like a terrible idea -- why should I buy another monitor that won't be the same size/height of the one I already have? If I'm doing the dual monitor thing, then I want a matched pair so it all has a similar feel (one big and one small makes it easy to "loose" open windows -- a minor but very irritating issue. I'd be happy with a single dongle that I plug into one port on my laptop and is hooked to everything else. there's your "no footprint" option.

Perhaps you have decided that the monitor you have is the only one you'll ever use, but not everyone sees things that way.

I think this would be perfect for someone who uses computers the way I do. I have a laptop which I use when I travel (about 40% of the time) and a 24" iMac on my desk. I spend a lot of time syncing files as well as trying to remember where the file was. This system would allow me to use just one computer all the time - with very few compromises (other than perhaps the need for a slower processor due to cooling needs).

There are lots of people who currently use a laptop AND a desktop computer. This system would allow them to use just one computer. Selling my old monitors on eBay wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice. More likely, I'd wait until it was time to replace one or both of my computers and buy this system.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    How is the laptop removed from the dock? Do you reach in and pull the laptop out? Do you press a button that's on the docking station which then pushes the laptop out? Is the ejection mechanism electrically powered? If so, is there a way to remove the laptop when power is not available?

Will the docking station be able to accommodate a laptop that has a hard shell like those from Speck?
  • Reply 54 of 90
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Is Apple saying that if you want docking capability, you have to buy that ultraportable Mac laptop? All Mac laptops should have docking capability, and the same docking station should be compatible with different Mac laptop models.

Hopefully Apple will have the sense to provide a version of the docking station without the built in monitor.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can do this now. Get yourself an external USB2 or Firewire drive and keep all your files on that. Boot from the external drive. When you're done for the day, shut down and take it home.

No need for anything new.

OK you obviously missed the point of my post, plus missed the paragraph above the one you quoted, that explains that's exactly what I do currently. As you mention in you other posts you yourself have a laptop and a desktop, which you have to sync from time to time, so see a benefit of the iMac-esque dock.

but what I'm suggesting could be even more beneficial, as you still have two fully capable machines, but can swap drives over and continue to work on either or both of them simultaneously, or pool them with other colleagues etc within an office environment, so decide to use the powerbook on the road, an iMac in the den, a Tower in the office and an iPod-esque/OQO anywhere, all with the same hard-drive/flash boot disc, with no synching & no down time. All your data in your pocket anytime you want.

Someone mentioned visiting cyber cafes using the dock, but think how simple it would be if all you had to do was carry a small boot disc, that you inserted into an awaiting Mac (OK I know you can do this with an external portable drive). But if apple rolled out an ultra portable device to wrap around the drive, then you just slip it into one of those when on vacation, no doubt it would have built in WIFI, and USB so you download your photos of your cameras etc, then when you're back slip it into any of your macs back home, reboot and you're off, no syncing required!!
  • Reply 56 of 90
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Hey I proposed this idea last week or so in another tread...
  • Reply 57 of 90
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    If you could get the ultra-portable MacBook plus the iMac "shell" for $2k, it'd be cheaper and more convenient to do this instead of owning both a desktop and a laptop (which lots of people currently do). Of course, you lose several of the advantages of a dedicated desktop, namely higher capacity and speedier components.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Is Apple saying that if you want docking capability, you have to buy that ultraportable Mac laptop?

Think of it as an accessory for your ultra-portable MacBook that allows you to overcome the so-small-it's-useless screen and keyboard while at home.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    From Gizmodo:

• Reply 59 of 90
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

From Gizmodo:

Pretty cool mock-up!

I'm sure the iPhone could be a candidate to drive such a docking station. Maybe the 1.5 version of the iPhone.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    One of the most overly-engineered ideas of all time. Not in 1,000,000 years will Apple release this.