Apple filing proposes iMac-like notebook docking station

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    The Register talked about this a mere seven years ago.....

iMac 2001 arrives
  • Reply 62 of 90
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

1- Today's MacBooks and iMacs use the same type of memory.

2- Today's MacBooks and iMacs use the same type of processor (with the exception of the Extreme option on the 24" iMac

3- Today's MacBooks and iMacs support dual displays and have built-in Ethernet and AirPort

So most of those DuoDock features are obsolete or not present in anything less than the Mac Pro today anyway.

it's fine for home users but not pro users.

1- Pro users will need more and faster memory when docked.

2- Pro users would need faster processors when docked.

3- Pro users would need to stack multiple monitors, iMac monitor is not sufficient and cant be stacked.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    Don't know what this thing is about pro users needing this and that. I am a pro user and I use an iMac at work and get along just fine. I develop teaching materials in textbook, PDF and DVD format, which means I edit text, photos, audio and video. The iMac does them all well; sure, a MacPro might process things faster, but that is why I have a second machine (MacBookPro that I need for the road anyway) so the iMac can think while I keep working. The iMac has a niche and it suits it very well.

The current iMacs can support a second display.

If you want more power, call Scotty or buy a MacPro.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    I would not be surprised if Apple made this. For easy to see reasons.

1. Apple gets the monitor sale. Today very few vendors can ensure they get a piece of the monitor sale. Apple would guarantee it.

2. People have been screaming about Apple notebooks and Docking stations for a while.

3. Aesthetics. Current dock options are not necessarily bulky but they certainly aren't as aesthetically pleasing. I imagine that Apple could add value to their dock by adding additional storage (Time Machine, NAS etc) and other features to the Dock.

I'd buy one.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

2. People have been screaming about Apple notebooks and Docking stations for a while.

People have also been screaming for a mid range tower Mac without a built in monitor. So as the ultimate "Fuck You" to all those "screaming whiners", what does Apple do? Make a docking station with a built in monitor! And to be even more spiteful, the monitor should be a 6 bit type with poor color range and a glossy finish. Some would call it comic genius while others would call it a spit in the eye.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

3- Pro users would need to stack multiple monitors, iMac monitor is not sufficient and cant be stacked.

Pro users will skip the ultraportable and dock for a MacBook Pro and a PowerMac.

If this subnotebook that's being bandied around is the "executive [notebook]" that Steve Jobs mentioned lo these many years ago then it will not do much in the way of heavy lifting. Its job will be to handle common tasks well, be small and slick-looking, and run for a long time on battery power. The docking station could transform it into a desktop that handles common tasks well, looks slick and doesn't hog the desk it's on, and boasts a big, sharp display.

It's not a professional solution and it doesn't need to be. Apple already has professional solutions.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The problem is, I guess, that no Mac portable have the same connector layout, have they? How is this supposed to connect? Through bluetooth?
  • Reply 68 of 90
    kurtzkurtz Posts: 9member
    I'm with Ireland on this - as soon as I saw it I assumed it was a joke [perhaps motivated by the intensity of anticipation surrounding upcoming hardware]. Eriamjh's excellent mock-up is Apple-beautiful but the concept is surely too ugly to be real. Sliding a laptop inside a monitor??? I just don't see it happening. Plus ... if owners of laptops / notebooks / ultraportables need a desktop dock solution, is their only priority a larger display?, and if so, is this really the best way to do it? I'd prefer the bluetooth solution suggested earlier - laptop remains in bag / case while BT-communicating with the monitor and KB / mouse on your desk.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lifino View Post

Where I see this product going:

Schools. If my daughter's school were to go all Mac, with cheap, small tablets that were passed out to all students, then in class/library/study-hall etc. they could slide the tablet into this device and have access to the larger screen, external key, etc. I'd pay higher taxes to see my kids have access to something like that.

Smart Dock thought ...

With the simplicity of syncing two Macs these days an iMac and an iBook work well together, low end of each coming in at just over $2k for the pair to achieving the same thing so if the same set up were available for $1k then this would be nice, assuming a large enough screen.

If then you can buy just the screen part alone so one dock could be shared the educational value rockets. The teacher could, via ARD, place the latest class material and a student simply slides his or her screen / tablet in and works. Also syncs to take home. Next class the same thing and so on! This assumes the dock can be contacted absent the screen on the network using ARD which would be a huge advantage over a dumb dock..

But then again all above possible now with just an iBook for each student ...
  • Reply 70 of 90
    lifinolifino Posts: 38member
    Ahh, yes you can do this today. iBook? Any cheap windows laptop could be made (rigged?) to do this with relative ease, and still work it's way into a Mac environment... In other words, yes the capabilities I am suggesting already exist, and have for a very long time, perhaps just not as elegant as Apple is able to make it.

BUT, I am going the route of assuming that this patent filing is just Apple exploring the tablet form factor (not in any way confirming that it is going into production) In the product design process you will look at as many different ways to use the product and make it attractive to as many people/industries/markets as possible. This use (the education field) seems to make total sense for a tablet... Assuming that the tablet is cheap enough and rugged enough to work reliably with 7 year old users!
  • Reply 71 of 90
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

...but would this be better than getting a 23" cinema display and keyboard for my macbook pro?

The point of a docking station is to avoid having to plug/unplug seven cables from your laptop at the beginning and end of every day, making the whole process far more simple and convenient; if you don't mind spending five minutes crawling under your desk and monkeying with wires every time you want to go on the move with your laptop, then you don't need a docking station.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The point of a docking station is to avoid having to plug/unplug seven cables from your laptop at the beginning and end of every day, making the whole process far more simple and convenient; if you don't mind spending five minutes crawling under your desk and monkeying with wires every time you want to go on the move with your laptop, then you don't need a docking station.

That is not really true these days (although I remember them well lol). Other than an optional power connection if needed there is nothing to connect! Print, network, share, you name it, it is all wireless today.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is not really true these days (although I remember them well lol). Other than an optional power connection if needed there is nothing to connect! Print, network, share, you name it, it is all wireless today.

Connecting a monitor, keyboard, mouse, power supply, ethernet, and headphones while at your desk all seem like standard practice to me still today. Ethernet is of course optional in most cases. Laptop screens are still pretty awful compared to desktop monitors, and the ergonomics of being hunched over a baby screen and keyboard gets old really fast.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    This one has a snowball's chance in hell of being released, considering there'd have to be different 3 different versions just for intel macs alone, with their different USB/Firewire locations, and sizes, let alone if it were to be compatible with older PPC notebooks. And it's not exactly Apple's style to introduce 3-4 new products at the same time. Also, If someone's going to pay for an extra screen, why give up the chance to have a dual display setup by keeping the notebook closed?

However, it would be nice if future macbooks could be opened flat, and then maybe inserted into this kind of device with the screen sticking up at the top, to make a giant vertical double screen setup, although the problem with different connection layouts would again be a prohibiting factor.

This patent might just be a way of putting a kind of tax on future niche products of this type that smaller companies might produce...
  • Reply 75 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

That would depend on how you define 'pro user'. I use an iMac in business all the time and it suits my needs well. My MacBook Pro is also plenty powerful enough. No need for multiple monitors or anything else.

Granted, high end graphics professionals or people doing CPU intensive simulations might not be able to use this solution, but they're not the target audience. They're probably going to buy the fastest Mac Pro they can get their hands on.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

This one has a snowball's chance in hell of being released, considering there'd have to be different 3 different versions just for intel macs alone, with their different USB/Firewire locations, and sizes, let alone if it were to be compatible with older PPC notebooks. And it's not exactly Apple's style to introduce 3-4 new products at the same time. Also, If someone's going to pay for an extra screen, why give up the chance to have a dual display setup by keeping the notebook closed?

However, it would be nice if future macbooks could be opened flat, and then maybe inserted into this kind of device with the screen sticking up at the top, to make a giant vertical double screen setup, although the problem with different connection layouts would again be a prohibiting factor.

This patent might just be a way of putting a kind of tax on future niche products of this type that smaller companies might produce...

Why the assumption that Apple has to support all models? They might start out with the subnotebook and work their way up depending on the demand. We may never see dock support for a 17" laptop since those are commonly desktop replacements anyways.

The need for dual displays diminishes as the size of LCD screens grows. A 24" monitor pretty much means that I don't have a need for dual monitors. Couple that with Spaces in Leopard and my screen real estate needs are covered without the need for using my notebook's screen.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I think this is a pretty cool idea, maybe not the most practical or cost efficient, but pretty damned cool…

;^p
  • Reply 78 of 90
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    One downside of slates (tablets) is that even docked they suck. They really don't work all that great as your only machine. Some convertables are better.

Why not use wireless? Because SATA, Firewire, and PCIe are faster. And GigE faster than 802.11N.

The ultraportable can have a 32GB flash drive and a GMA X3100 and dock into a station that provides a 3.5" HDD and higher end graphics with a 24" monitor and be able to drive a 30" ACD as well.

That's good enough for a lot of folks. I would prefer a dock without a monitor but a good 24" dock that had a matching 24" ACD would be fine. Dual 24"s work better for me than a single 30" but a single 30" works off a MBP.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    I'm really happy to see this filing as I think this is the best design for future developments:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=58330

I would prefer a module that slots into either an iMac case or a laptop case and you'd buy them separately over a notebook dock. Even 3rd party manufacturers could build Mac compatible display docks.

However, it's one less slot action you have to do so I think it would be ok as a notebook dock, i just hope it doesn't scratch the case. This setup makes it easier to take machines in for repair.

Once quad-core mobile components arrive in the middle of this year, I would even consider buying an 'iMac' if it was like this (they would of course get rid of the chin by then surely).

A proper desktop would still be nice until then but I think if it would become irrelevant within about a year, perhaps it's best to stick to mobile consumer machines even if it is premature.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Pro users will skip the ultraportable and dock for a MacBook Pro and a PowerMac.

If this subnotebook that's being bandied around is the "executive [notebook]" that Steve Jobs mentioned lo these many years ago then it will not do much in the way of heavy lifting. Its job will be to handle common tasks well, be small and slick-looking, and run for a long time on battery power. The docking station could transform it into a desktop that handles common tasks well, looks slick and doesn't hog the desk it's on, and boasts a big, sharp display.

It's not a professional solution and it doesn't need to be. Apple already has professional solutions.

Who decided that only super-small, underpowered subnotebooks should have docking capability? Would this be like the Palm Foleo? All Mac laptops, from the 13 inch MacBook to the 15 and 17 inch MacBook Pros should have docking capability. And rather than making people buy a differnet dock for each laptop model like some other companies do, Apple should make a docking station that supports all their laptop models