Deathblow: Paramount to abandon HD DVD in return to Blu-ray

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    I think the only reasons Universal are on HD-DVD's side is because of their close relationship with Microsoft.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So they have denied it. Well it would be better if it was true, end the confusion for customers. By refusing to change at this late stage, it starts to look like they care more about their corporate strategies than their customers.

One of their problems is that unlike Warner, which is producing BD disks and HD-DVD disks for their films, Paramount is now only producing HD-DVD.

For Warner to state that at the end of MAY they will cease to sell HD-DVD disks is fine, because they have CURRENT product for their customers.

But with Paramount giving up their BD production a couple of months ago, they would have NO product to offer their customers until they manufactured enough titles in Bd again for them to keep their income coming in (this holds for Universal as well).

I'm assuming that talks are already going on, both to discontinue HD-DVD (or possibly continuing it for a while, like Warner), and to begin manufacturer of enough BD titles to have available when they do make a definitive announcement.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

The scariest part of the whole situation is that Sony has tried to force its own technology upon everyone for the last 20 years regardless of losing nearly every time. Sony tried to fight VHS twice, first with Beta, than with 8MM. They didn't think CD's were good enough, so they created the Mini-Disc. Later the standardized flash memory cards SD and CF weren't good enough for Sony so they created memory stick. They didn't like the way people could rip CD's to MP3, so they tried to stop that. If Sony wins the HD war with Blue Ray, where will they go next?

Sounds counter-intuitive but a Blu-ray win actually prevents Sony from doing this sort of mischief with Blu-ray. Just because you invented the standard doesn't mean you have primary control over it and can keep tinkering with it once it has been adopted. There are now a lot more stake holders in Blu-ray. If Sony fools around with Blu-ray they do so at the risk of upsetting all the player mfrs and media providers that chose it as the standard. Not to mention all the customers.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    Watch HD-DVD try and recruit 20th Century Fox now.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Sometimes it seems that logic has less to do with decisions of media corporations

than the stubborn egos of their executives, so I would not rule out the harakiri option.

Case in point: Toshiba?
  • Reply 26 of 105
    Quote:

The scariest part of the whole situation is that Sony has tried to force its own technology upon everyone for the last 20 years regardless of losing nearly every time. Sony tried to fight VHS twice, first with Beta, than with 8MM. They didn't think CD's were good enough, so they created the Mini-Disc. Later the standardized flash memory cards SD and CF weren't good enough for Sony so they created memory stick. They didn't like the way people could rip CD's to MP3, so they tried to stop that. If Sony wins the HD war with Blue Ray, where will they go next?

Both formats look good. I expected both formats to stay like +/- R RW DVD disc. oh well.

Let's see.

Beta made it as Beta-Cam, one of the most successful professional broadcast formats ever.

8mm was successful for years, until DV came along and killed all the analog consumer products.

They, and Phillips CREATED the Cd.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    That's a good point. If they announce that they are in fact leaving HD DVD behind, they have a huge problem. The sales of the only product they produce for HD will plummet (with the understanding that HD sales are still a small portion of the market). They need to be able to ramp up their support of Blu Ray while not just falling on their sword with regard t HD DVD. If anything, they want to transition gracefully (well, as gracefully as they can).

Seriously, if they announced something like this right now the people at the HD DVD booth at CES would probably just flip out and burn the whole place down. One of the pics I saw of the BR and HD DVD booths (which are spitting distance from one another) showed a lot of activity at the BR side and nothing happening at the HD DVD side.

It is also noteworthy that once BR enjoys widespread adoption, the "Evil Sony" influence will be diluted.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Blu-ray Disc Association. Look it up. Then come back and try to say with a straight face that Sony singlehandedly controls Blu-ray. Sony haters are so blinded by their hatred that they can't even find out the facts, if they even care about them.

Quote:

Both formats look good. I expected both formats to stay like +/- R RW DVD disc. oh well.

Does DVD-R have 66% greater capacity than DVD+R or vice versa? Enough of this "they're basically the same" BS.

P.S. For anyone who says "Paramount denies it," remember that Warner also said only a few weeks ago that they were not going Blu-ray exclusive.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    Quote:

They didn't think CD's were good enough, so they created the Mini-Disc.

Actually minidisc was more of a cassette replacement, which it was very good at. And like most of their stuff, might have taken off if they didn't restrict it so much. But computers and mp3s have given blows to both MD and CD, so....
  • Reply 30 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Blu-ray Disc Association. Look it up. Then come back and try to say with a straight face that Sony singlehandedly controls Blu-ray. Sony haters are so blinded by their hatred that they can't even find out the facts, if they even care about them.

Yes.

Quote:

Does DVD-R have 66% greater capacity than DVD+R or vice versa? Enough of this "they're basically the same" BS.

P.S. For anyone who says "Paramount denies it," remember that Warner also said only a few weeks ago that they were not going Blu-ray exclusive.

And yes.

People arn't thinking here.

Sony has done some dumb things, such as that rootkit (good to have a Mac).

But, overall they're no worse than most, and better than some.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Here is something for you guys to chew on...

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=35105
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

Watch HD-DVD try and recruit 20th Century Fox now.

They already tried this and fox said no, which is the primary reason warner went Blu-ray exclusive. Had Fox went HD-DVD the war may very well be very different right now.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

That was pretty interesting. I guess retailers are excited to get this over with as well, Now they can just segregate their videos into SD and HD sections.

It's going to become evident pretty quickly that if the rest of the industry doesn't follow suit fairly soon they're going to look pretty silly. I guess we owe Warner some thanks for helping to end this quickly.
  • Reply 34 of 105
    They probably do have a clause in their contract with HDDVD camp. I mean you can't except 150 million dollars of hush money and except it to come questions free. I think that while the format is dead HD DVD camp has to figure out a way to play nice with everyone or it will in a corner at recess with no one want to play with them. Awwwww. Will be a good day when Sony's better format wins. Too bad it couldn't win on its merits. It had to wait for Warner Bros to make up their minds to end this. I mean it made no sense in the minds of consumers. Early adopters or not, few people would be willing to throw out 200 plus dollars for nothing. Sad thing is that all over the developed world, people got holidays gifts in the form of HDDVD player and movies. Hope they saved the boxes and receipts. People got computer with HD DVD drives installed. There is a reason that I don't ask for electronics for X-mas. Because I know CES and MacWorld will provide the space for a lot to change quickly. Like Steve Jobs said if you are always waiting for the next upgrade in technology, you will never buy anything. That said, there are smart times to buy things and terrible times. X-mas and the other holidays do offer impressive savings to be had, but if the word "new" provides a crack-like twitch, then you should know don't buy anything until after MacWorld and CES in the winter. For Macs this year that time period could stretch into February because of the proposed date by Apple on the Touch-based Mac OS X SDK. But in the end, there is a feeling that there are going to be a lot of people that feel like their support of HD DVD was terrible and will have some harsh words and feelings to share. I guess I won't know whether this is true until it hits the mainstream news. When this story hits FOX, I will believe it (wait, I am waiting for FOX to tell me the truth). You can see how much I am anticipating an end to this war. I have chosen to wait for the impossible.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I certainly agree with the tone of that.

One industry person said, shortly after Warner made their announcement, that HD-DVD's death would come quickly, if not within days, then at the most, weeks.

I hope the article is correct about Jobs. Apple could have had software ready for months, but just didn't release it.

But the graphics cards would still have to support the DRM (I keep forgetting what the acronim is).
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

That was pretty interesting. I guess retailers are excited to get this over with as well, Now they can just segregate their videos into SD and HD sections.

It's going to become evident pretty quickly that if the rest of the industry doesn't follow suit fairly soon they're going to look pretty silly. I guess we owe Warner some thanks for helping to end this quickly.

Damn right! Retailers NEVER like to double stock.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I certainly agree with the tone of that.

One industry person said, shortly after Warner made their announcement, that HD-DVD's death would come quickly, if not within days, then at the most, weeks.

I hope the article is correct about Jobs. Apple could have had software ready for months, but just didn't release it.

But the graphics cards would still have to support the DRM (I keep forgetting what the acronim is).

As far as I know the graphics cards support it. At least the 8800gt and 2600xt on the windows side does. Just gotta go DVI -> DVI or DVI -> HDMI. Monoprice.com has some really cheap 1080p adapters that go from DVI -> HDMI that I bought a few days ago to run my MBP at 1080p. These should follow the DRM standards of blu-ray.
  • Reply 38 of 105
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Seriously, if they announced something like this right now the people at the HD DVD booth at CES would probably just flip out and burn the whole place down.

• Reply 39 of 105
    They should..... just freaking end it already ;p. They have 1 foot in the grave along with 3 toes. It's time HD-DVD... /pulls steve jobs and brings Bourne Collection HD-DVD out in coffin.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Blu-ray is much, much, much better. Not only better quality, but also more content and great for backups. HD-DVD was dead before being born. I am amazed people even purchased that.