Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners

Comments

• Reply 301 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naas View Post

and of course the Isee glasses, to see movies properly

iGlasses
  • Reply 302 of 384
    I agree that "Air" must be dealing with video downloading. I think that maybe it's new software so that video will now be separate from iTunes. It is i"Tunes" after all. What do tunes have to do with TV and movies.
  • Reply 303 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They can laugh all they want, I don't give a shit.

Ha Ha.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I misread that as "Time for another montage" and all I can think about is Team America's training montage song. Thanks a lot.

I can picture Steve preparing for tuesday in similar fashion. "Time for another Keynote"
  • Reply 304 of 384
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

True.

But sitting in class and not only having to write stuff down, but also draw small explanatory graphics in one document is nice.

And with the XP tablet edition you had the option to save a document in handwritten form and konvert it to machine-writing later when you review your notes.

And this last step is not as work intensive as it seems.

As I said, I've tried it. The app wasn't perfect, but more than usable and helpful.

What you are describing is a note-taking application!

I think its amazing that there have been tens of tablet computers created, all with the notion that they could replace a pen and paper notebook. And yet, no one has bothered to create a notebook software application that out-performs pen and paper!

Imagine if each diagram and annotation was tagged with metadata - including the *time* it was made. With this info, your notes could be alligned with your schedule, and the app would automatically know that *this* note should be filed with *this* meeting. Cool eh?

So note-taking is a good thing. But, I'd still like a quiet keyboard for text entry.
  • Reply 305 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

What you are describing is a note-taking application!

I think its amazing that there have been tens of tablet computers created, all with the notion that they could replace a pen and paper notebook. And yet, no one has bothered to create a notebook software application that out-performs pen and paper!

Imagine if each diagram and annotation was tagged with metadata - including the *time* it was made. With this info, your notes could be alligned with your schedule, and the app would automatically know that *this* note should be filed with *this* meeting. Cool eh?

So note-taking is a good thing. But, I'd still like a quiet keyboard for text entry.

I know this wasn't tested thoroughly, yet, but this looks promising, and combined with a well integrated handwriting recognition it would be just wonderful: http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ok-layout-view

(Check out the article from MacBU at MS.)

Until MWSF it is like this:

"There's somethingin the air." ...

... "vaporware"
  • Reply 306 of 384
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 307 of 384
    So, MacBook Ultralight is being telegraphed by the use of the ultralight typeface on the banner.

The something in the "Air," is the wireless device feeding CD, DVD and data (music, videos, photos, etc.) to the Ultralight. "Air" is the home server, or home cloud if you like, which can be accessed by any Mac with an AirPort Card. A home Slingbox, if you will, which is also available outside the home via Web and/or dotMac.

The whole imagery of an ultralight flying through the air and through the clouds coupled with an airport is too rich.
  • Reply 308 of 384
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    OK, let's imagine something crazy.

Anyone seen this video? http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Forget about multitouch on a surface. How about multitouch (or single touch) in the air? Move your finger tip(s) in the air as the next computer UI.

"There is something in the air".
  • Reply 309 of 384
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Anyone seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ

That is a cool video.
  • Reply 310 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Anyone seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ

Forget about multitouch on a surface. How about multitouch (or single touch) in the air? Move your finger tip(s) in the air as the next computer UI.

"There is something in the air".

You mean like 1986's Amiga Mandala system or Sony's EyeToy ?

Great as they were, you'd look like a buffoon operating a computer in Starbucks like that.
  • Reply 311 of 384
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a cool video.

Nah, to do that you'd have to build some sort of camera into your screen...
  • Reply 312 of 384
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

You mean like 1986's Amiga Mandala system or Sony's EyeToy ?

Great as they were, you'd look like a buffoon operating a computer in Starbucks like that.

Maybe not computer, but how about Apple TV? Forget about the remotes (getting tiring to keep track of all those remotes). Use your fingers to control the TV. Flip through video albums. Select video rental, fast forward, rewind etc.
  • Reply 313 of 384
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Huh?
  • Reply 314 of 384
    For me, Christmas doesn't really happen until MacWorld.

Steve Jobs is Santa.
  • Reply 315 of 384
    Whatever Jobs has in store, could literally be in the air as he speaks...FedEx air... This could hint that there is some-"thing" i.e. hardware rather than wireless etc...

Just a thought that I had not seen posted yet...
  • Reply 316 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

OK, heres my take:

If 'Air' has any relevance to anything it is Apple Itunes Rentals.

Deals struck with all big studios ($3.99 per movie, 24hr self destruct.)

Complete revision of Apple TV maybe even apple branded HD TV.

drm free deals with all music labels.

Massive revisions to whole laptop range. stupidly thin. optical drive possibly dropped, with optional external blue ray instead.

Revision of .mac, the integration of multiple apple devices will drummed into us for apples 'digital lifestyle. steps taken towards thin client. Apple Remote Desktop maybe.

Possible deal with 'Sling Media' to stream itunes movies and audio from your home computer to your mobile/taptop. But not from your TV as the studios would get in a mood and not allow apple to rent their material. maybe apples implementation of this technology is called 'Air' as in 'On Air' referring to broadcasting.

And with apples traditional "one more thing", well im expecting a 7"-8" mac 3G touchscreen , but i think they wouldn't want to overshadow the movie rentals, so maybe wait until feb to coincide with developer tools release.

oh and apple branded external 3G for laptops.

You're not after much then?
  • Reply 317 of 384
    FWIW, while browsing Canon's web site for print drivers, I came upon this (see Bold below)

Drivers & Downloads

Downloads

Details - MP610 series Printer Driver Ver. 10.1.0.0 (Mac OS X CUPS)

ID: 0100092101_EN_1

OS

Mac OS X

File Name

mp610sosxcp10100ej7.dmg

File Version

File Size

6.99 MB

Post Date

12/13/2007

Environment

Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (CUPS)

Caution

1. Use the CUPS drivers in the following cases only: -When performing 16-bit color printing -When printing from the 64-bit application 2. Mac OS X v10.5 Printing from Air Mac is not available.

Setup

Procedures for the download and installation 1. Click the link. The download will start automatically. 2. Files will be saved on the computer desktop. 3. Double-click the file to mount the Disk Image. 4. Double-click the mounted Disk Image. 5. Double-click the .pkg file in the folder. Installation starts automatically.
  • Reply 318 of 384
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Like this apple patent perhaps?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...lay-169886.php
  • Reply 319 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lionhead View Post

FWIW, while browsing Canon's web site for print drivers, I came upon this (see Bold below)

Drivers & Downloads

Downloads

Details - MP610 series Printer Driver Ver. 10.1.0.0 (Mac OS X CUPS)

ID: 0100092101_EN_1

OS

Mac OS X

File Name

mp610sosxcp10100ej7.dmg

File Version

File Size

6.99 MB

Post Date

12/13/2007

Environment

Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (CUPS)

Caution

1. Use the CUPS drivers in the following cases only: -When performing 16-bit color printing -When printing from the 64-bit application 2. Mac OS X v10.5 Printing from Air Mac is not available.

Setup

Procedures for the download and installation 1. Click the link. The download will start automatically. 2. Files will be saved on the computer desktop. 3. Double-click the file to mount the Disk Image. 4. Double-click the mounted Disk Image. 5. Double-click the .pkg file in the folder. Installation starts automatically.

He's right, I've just had a look on the same website (The link to it can be found here also http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15604) but still confuses me, so is this "Air Mac" device going to be a new ultra-portable Macbook Pro option or just another stupid upgrade to the Airport Extreme?
  • Reply 320 of 384
    Air Mac is what they call Air Port in Japan; some other company has the rights to Air Port in Japan.