iPhone Software v1.1.3 enhances Maps, SMS, more...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Apple can't even catchup to current iPhone hacks. I must admit though the Google maps features are nice.

Who says their trying to, or even want to. I just cleared off all hacks from my iPhone. They added little value (I never used but 1 - the ebook reader) and they screwed it up several times taking up tons of my time to figure out.

1) One version of Summerboard would crash the system constantly, unless you disabled the wallpaper dimming feature (2 days to figure that one out)

2) My sound volume has been low for some time. After clean out, restore, and upgrade all is fine. Don't know how much time that took up trying to figure out (and failing)

3) At some point something screwed my iPod preferences so all albums/playlists would play shuffled, irrespective of the preference setting. Now here, of course, I could ssh in an delete it to fix it but, of course, that's a somewhat circular benefit.

4) Several times I've finally figured out that something runs constantly in the background eating battery. I run out in a couple of hours (without much actual use) and the back is warm.

Not good benefit for the price. The price was my time and the benefit close to none.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

If it's not a lot of money then send me and every other poster on this site 20 bucks. As I've stated before. I am an adult Apple. If there is a legal reason for you doing this then explain it to me. I'm a big boy I can handle the truth. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's inconsistent behaviour on Apple's part. And i will be the thing that is remembered from this Keynote. The MBA is nice but forgettable. It a laptop with less features and a bigger price. Nothing new here, moving on.

The $20 charge on the other hand go to the heart of how Apple treats its customers. It's going to revive the iPhone pricing change controversy.

I predict that the outcry from the internet is going to do two things.

1. Make Apple relent and offer the upgrade for free,

2. Have plenty of sites showing touch owners how to get the apps for free, thereby getting $20 worth of apps through illegal means.

3. I'm sure there will be talk of a lawsuit of some sort, but it's America so I'll mention it but discount it.

I can't argue with your Zen attitude as I try to have one as well. But sometimes you just feel taken advantage of and this is one of those times.

If the $20 is all you are going to remember from this, then that says more about you, then it does about Apple.

Would it have been nicer to have charged nothing? Sure!

does business work that way? No.

I don't know why they did this, but I wouldn't cry about it. If it's too much, don't buy it.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

MWExpo was probably one of the most disappointing ones. This mediocre iPhone update is missing many basic features such as: voice-recording, video-capture, voice-dialing. WTF

As long as Apple continues regular app updates then this is a great one. But if we go another 6 months with no more updates then 1.1.3 was OK but not earth shattering.

We should certainly see some type of update next month with the SDK.

Now I'm thinking its more likely than not we won't have a major OS changes (copy-paste, system wide search, etc) until iPhone OS version 2.

Quote:

I'm a big boy I can handle the truth. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's inconsistent behaviour on Apple's part.

It may be that mobile phone profit sharing is paying for these software updates. So if you have an iPhone the software is payed for. If you have an Touch you have to pay what the iPhone user has already payed for.

Quote:

Apple can't even catchup to current iPhone hacks. I must admit though the Google maps features are nice.

Apple isn't in competition with the iPhone hacks.

Quote:

I just cleared off all hacks from my iPhone. They added little value (I never used but 1 - the ebook reader) and they screwed it up several times taking up tons of my time to figure out.

Its not really an organized development structure. So it seems easy for it have conflicting software. Not to mention how easy it would be to create spyware and trojans.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    If Apple closes that security hole that allows these hacks in the first place, then there will be howling from that community.

But, at some time I expect Apple will do it.

The hacking community can't fairly complain, even though they will, because they are taking advantage of something that should be fixed.

Then what will they do?

This is why relying on these hacks for software, and features, is a very bad thing.

You should never rely on some feature that relies on a security hole that will be plugged at some point in time.

If you do, you're setting yourself up for disappointment, and you will have no right to complain about it.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    The addition of lyrics is welcome and very well done, knew my hours of playing with pearlyrics weren't wasted!
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

The addition of lyrics is welcome and very well done, knew my hours of playing with pearlyrics weren't wasted!

pearlyrics FTW!
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post

I think you guys may be missing the point about the $20 for the Touch. Wouldn't you need a data plan to use the additional features offered in the Touch update? They said that with this update the touch will basically be an iPhone without the phone. The data plan for the iPhone is $20. Why would the Touch be any different.

It still will not work over an att edge network
  • Reply 48 of 56
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Working ok for me

I have tried it out ten times in different places.

I am quite impressed by how accurate the location feature. In my home city - the circle is about a 200 metres across, and at the centre of the circle - is exactly where I am at! You could pinpoint the location to within one or two houses.

Tried it in a different city, inside a mall, and got a bigger, 1km radius. Not as accurate. But useful nonetheless.

This isn't GPS, it isn't continuous and takes a few seconds to do the location. But it's a really welcome addition .

C.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    I think the rentals thing is the biggest rip of we have seen so far. I dont know how much it will translate to in £ but even if its like £1.50 thats still a rip off. You can rent a DVD from wherever for £2.99 and just rip it into a much bigger format from which if you want encode to iphone format. And anyway so many people download DVD rips these days anyway I dont see the point. They should have at least not restricted the play time to 24 hours.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I think the rentals thing is the biggest rip of we have seen so far. I dont know how much it will translate to in £ but even if its like £1.50 thats still a rip off. You can rent a DVD from wherever for £2.99 and just rip it into a much bigger format from which if you want encode to iphone format. And anyway so many people download DVD rips these days anyway I dont see the point. They should have at least not restricted the play time to 24 hours.

Who would expect you, bav, of all people, to see "the point"? Downloading "DVD rips" is illegal. In the business market we have choices what to buy or rent and from whom. Apple joining the list of online movie rentals is a step in the right direction. Online music, movies, and software (leaving physical media behind) are the future of internet commerce. Price and availability in Apple’s movie collection will change with time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So I didnt have inside info so what? Yeah I lied and what!

As you can see im still here and have not vanished since I was proven wrong.

Really, bav, you don't say? For those of you that don’t know, bav is the one that was talking down to many of us in another topic (link provided if you like) that he had “inside info” about the iPhone and that Steve would announce two new iPhones at MacWorld. He called some of us “noobs”, saying “Typical Americans, all talk”, “wait til the 15th”, and on top of other insults that he knew more than the rest of us, he even made a bet to change his online name if he was proven wrong and demanded “mods get things in order”, just to hold everyone to the bet.

As you know from watching the MacWorld video - bav was wrong. Steve didn’t release two new iPhone models, and now bav’s here laughing about how he lied all along. That proves what I first said from one of my first posts – that bav was clueless and didn’t know any “inside info” about Apple, let alone about the iPhone.

That's a shame, too, because some members of the forum gave bav the benefit of the doubt anyways.

Just FYI, to explain why some of us seem a bit annoyed with bav right now.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    I wouldn't worry, we all know that Bav is always wrong.

You get used to it and simply disregard whatever he says.

By the way, on another note. an article in the Times says that the reason why we have 24 hours to watch the movie once we start is because the studios didn't want to antagonize the cable and satellite companies whose pay for view also allows 24 hours to view. Makes sense for them.

The reason why movies won't be available for 30 days after the DVD comes out is because Walmart, Target, and others protested, to help preserve their own DVD sales. We'll see how long that lasts.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wouldn't worry, we all know that Bav is always wrong.

You get used to it and simply disregard whatever he says.

Duly noted. I'll try to do that from here on. Thanks, melgross.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

By the way, on another note. an article in the Times says that the reason why we have 24 hours to watch the movie once we start is because the studios didn't want to antagonize the cable and satellite companies whose pay for view also allows 24 hours to view. Makes sense for them.

The reason why movies won't be available for 30 days after the DVD comes out is because Walmart, Target, and others protested, to help preserve their own DVD sales. We'll see how long that lasts.

That makes sense to me. The studios have well established (and profitable) deals with those companies. They probably worked hard to make sure Apple could join the movie rental club, without taking control of it. Once Apple gave more than 24 hours to watch a rental movie, or some other clear advantage, it wouldn't be long before people would demand that other services, such as cable pay per view, did the same.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    The updates are pretty cool, but I'd really, really like a bulk mail delete.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    I just noticed that, since upgrading to 1.1.3, pages no longer need to reload when moving back or forward in Safari! This was a frustrating limitation in v1.1.2 and below, I'm glad Apple has addressed this. Also, it now even remembers page & zoom position when moving back or forward. Nice.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDraden View Post

I just noticed that, since upgrading to 1.1.3, pages no longer need to reload when moving back or forward in Safari! This was a frustrating limitation in v1.1.2 and below, I'm glad Apple has addressed this. Also, it now even remembers page & zoom position when moving back or forward. Nice.

That's weird, pages didn't always need to reload for me, and it always remembered the page and zoom positions on my iPhone
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

That's weird, pages didn't always need to reload for me, and it always remembered the page and zoom positions on my iPhone

Hmm... I thought it was a known bug. Perhaps it was just a problem with my phone.