Macbook Pro Update!?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if its possible they are announcing an update to the Macbook PRO today or tomorrow or the last day? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    I REALLY hope so, I have been waiting for a new MBP for several months now. The Air tempted me, but I need a MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbeaumont View Post

I REALLY hope so, I have been waiting for a new MBP for several months now. The Air tempted me, but I need a MBP.

I'm in the same boat. I was ready to buy in June/July - when they launched the LED screens - then I was a hold-out for Leopard...now it's 'due' for a hardware bump...so I don't want to buy now and then have an update happen within a month or two.

I just hope that my present HP doesn't give-up the ghost before this new MBP launches...
  • Reply 3 of 105
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajx22 View Post

I was ready to buy in June/July

yeah me too.

i need the new MBP in 2 weeks !! \
  • Reply 4 of 105
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip View Post

yeah me too.

i need the new MBP in 2 weeks !! \

I have a 3 year old this month PowerBook G4 and am ready to buy a new updated MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air does not float my boat so I will wait until something else comes along. Several years ago I gave up having a desktop and laptop at home. I use my PowerBook with a 23" Apple display when I need a "desktop" or just the laptop alone while chilling and watching TV. At the office currently a new iMac and a complete Apple groupie and very disappointed today that nothing about the MacBook Pro line.

• Reply 5 of 105
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The lack of an update was a major bummer. Reflecting on the keynote, either Apple was afraid that the MacBook Pro updates would outshine the new boy-wonder notebook, or the MacBook Pro updates simply weren't ready. I don't think they weren't ready and were yanked sort of last minute. Instead we got Randy Newman as filler. WTF was that all about anyway?
  • Reply 6 of 105
    SO the QUESTION is, when do we get the next MBPro update?

I too have been holding out for over 6 months and getting tired of the wait. You would hope in the next update we'll get a speed bump and also an upgrade to the LED screens on the 17" MBPs. And then when do we get Blu-Ray compatible drives?

But the main question is when do we get the next update?
  • Reply 7 of 105
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Reflecting on the keynote, either Apple was afraid that the MacBook Pro updates would outshine the new boy-wonder notebook, or the MacBook Pro updates simply weren't ready. I don't think they weren't ready and were yanked sort of last minute.

From the moment Apple decided to introduce the MBA in this Macworld, any other computer update was excluded from the show. The new Mac Pro was already out one week before.

I guess new MBP's won't be released before one week goes by, at least. If the MBP update is more substantial (see redesign), this could easily be translated to one month or longer. In any case, the MBP design is now a real dinosaur. It is always sleek and such, but Apple just proved that it can outdone itself. The MBA combines the Aluminum and the Wallstreet designs. Furthermore it has features found only in the Pro category of Apple portables. My feeling is that Apple will redesign the MBP this year and make it more like the MBA. Not in thinness of course, but in the general look and feeling. But there may be one more update with the current Aluminum design.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    I personally dont like the shape of the MBA

I like the design of the MBP.. but thats just my opinion..

I just want new internals.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    I'm in the same boat - been holding back from buying a MBP in anticipation of an update in January. I am now trying to get my mind wrapped around the notion that it is OK to just do it now, even though I will miss the next update.

Maybe ingornace is bliss. It's a computer. It's going to be updated soon no matter when you get it. They will always go out of date. But gollygoshdarnit (no, I'm not at all corny), it's been a long wait...
  • Reply 10 of 105
    I'm waiting for the MBP as well. But I'm worried that Apple is going to want to make more space between the pricing of the Air and the Pro. I really hope they don't, but one way they could do it is to put Blu-Ray standard across the MBP line and raise the base model to @2299. They wouldn't do that, right?
  • Reply 11 of 105
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d.mantic View Post

I really hope they don't, but one way they could do it is to put Blu-Ray standard across the MBP line and raise the base model to @2299. They wouldn't do that, right?

Right, this is very doubtful. As an option probably, but standard? No.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Look for the conference call after the quarterly results are announced next week. Most importantly, try to read between the lines when next quarter guidance is discussed. Unfortunately, the MacBook Air will make it harder to decipher

I don't think a significant MBP makeover is coming really soon.

Ah, and forget about the Blu-ray. It would have been added to the Mac Pro line first.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    i was secretly hoping right after the keynote that maybe apple would pull one of their non-high-profile updates a couple weeks later (it's been done before) where the MBP would pick up some of the design cues of the MBA but obviously be thicker, more ports, etc.

but the more i thought about it, the more i'm thinking that an MBP update could be a number of months out -- i'm thinking apple won't want to do anything that could potentially cut into MBA sales. why jeopardize the success of a new product by introducing a redesigned MPB that will have specs that outpace the MBA in every way (minus thinness)?

i think that when MBPs are eventually updated, consumers will look across the line and have a hard time justifying the price/feature set of the MBA -- after all, even now the MBP isn't THAT thick.

i really hope i'm wrong, and that when competitors start rolling out laptops with Penryns in them that the pressure will force the issue. but i'm starting to think that they may wait until the next chip rev in may and give the MBA a whole lot of breathing room to ensure its success.

argh.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    An update just isn't keynote material anymore. "The same machine is now faster!" was an important message in 1999 as Apple struggled to get attention, but they have everyone's attention now. They don't have to waste time talking about CPUs and architectures because they're using the same chips that everyone else is.

As I recall, Apple updates laptops in March/April/May (sometimes) and October/November (generally), but there have been plenty of exceptions.

My advice would be that if you need a new laptop in the next three months, fire away.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Mobile Penryn's are not in any shipping laptops yet. Toshiba quotes 1-2 weeks, and Dell's Penryn based laptop isn't shipping until February. Apple's speed bumps have become the 'Shipping Now' variety. That and no stealing focus from the new products PR blitz.

I guess sometime between late January and March. That vague enough.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    i think the MBP will get an simple update to penryn in the next month or so, but won't get a redesign til when nehalem is out.
  • Reply 17 of 105
    Hmm I'm going to wait... I want the new model.. However if comes out and I don't like it I jumping on the previous pro...

I want a aluminum shell and a 13" screen
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpencerFitch View Post

Hmm I'm going to wait... I want the new model.. However if comes out and I don't like it I jumping on the previous pro...

I want a aluminum shell and a 13" screen

Same here. I reckon a lot of people would have been happy with an aluminium 13" or 12" MBP.

Instead we get a redesigned, priced up MB with a fixed battery, no sound input, mono output and no superdrive. Weight and size aside, can anyone tell me how this is an improvement? It's an expensive fashion accessory.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    I just got my MacBook Pro on the 15th. I was too hoping for an update, but seeing as there was none, I just went out and got the current model. So far I'm loving it. I gave my last MacBook to my little sister and this is definitely an upgrade. I guess in the end, everything becomes outdated. Just get what you need when you need it and hope it doesn't get outdated too soon. Even if they do an update, I doubt it will make the current model "outdated" since the current specs are pretty nice as they stand. I could have done with a better graphics card though, but I guess for the slim form factor the current graphics card offers a nice balance, especially for what I do.
  • Reply 20 of 105
    probably will update when no more old stock. What better way to clear inventory than not announce update when people were thinking it would happen.