Macbook Pro Update!?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsteinmann View Post

I keep reading these threads all over about... you better wait to buy a macbook pro.

Airs are barely out... do you honestly think new macbook pros are coming in weeks to take ANY thunder away from that launch? I'd be surprised to see MBP updates before May. I don't know how other people feel, but you can ALWAYS wait 6 more months for the latest and greatest... it's an endless cycle with technology products. If you need a MBP... just buy one

dude, we are talking about the silent update, not the damn case redesign.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    silent update?
  • Reply 63 of 105
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsteinmann View Post

silent update?

Yes, two updates are possible for the MB Pro:

- the silent one, replacing the current merom CPUs with the newly announced penryn CPUs that work on the same chipset/motherboard - drop-in replacement - a lite speedbump from 2.2-2.6GHz to 2.4-2.6GHz could also be made. Could be done anyday now.

- the big one: new enclosure, new chipset/motherboard, new penryn CPUS, 1066 FSB, 2.53 to 2.80GHz, 6MB cache... Intel plans to launch those starting late May, so about june in computers.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    emohemoh Posts: 1member
    Initially, I wanted to purchase the MBP, so have asked around. One apple store jus called me and asked if I am still interested to purchase as the stock is running low. By the sign of it, I guess the silent update should be done in a few weeks since the apple store is not replenishing the stock of older version of MBP.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Since the Air introduction it's pretty obvious what the next MacBook Pro will have:

-LED LCD on all models, 15" & 17"

-New black keyboard, MacBook style

-Tapered bottom for added sexyness

-Enlarged trackpad with gestures

-The new angled Magsafe connector

-Magnetic lid

Some other features:

-Latest and greatest Intel processors

-Above average laptop graphics

-Since edges are tapered, there will be retractable ports like on the Air on both sides

-Optical still loads from the front

-Kensington lock!

-Optical audio in/out

-removable battery!

-.8" thick throughout

Wishful thinking:

-An elongated Magsafe connector that can take normal Magsafe adapters but you can purchase a separate larger Magsafe power brick that connect into the longer connector and it includes Ethernet, USB, audio, firewire and Video ports.

I agree with most of your ideas except the thinness. I think the MBP and MB will stay the same in thickness. If they get any thinner then they begin to encroach on the MBA turf.

The only reason to get the MBA (vs a MB or MBP) is for the form factor, ie thinness and weight. I think Apple will keep the same dimensions and weights of the current MBP and MB so as to keep product differentiation.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    This puts me at feb. 20th if I want to take advantage of the free financing. I guess I could just wait and pay for it, but 180 days of free financing would be a nice perk. Does anyone think it will come out before the 20th? Also, my follow up question is, should I wait anyway and just pay for the thing when it comes out? Free financing would be nice but isn't mandatory. Thank You for tolerating this Newbee question.

Jay
  • Reply 67 of 105
    I wonder if anyone can do a design of the future MBP inspired by the MBA. I think future MBP will have those curvy shapes like MBA except not as thin. I expect that future MBs or MBPs will have thinner upper lid (LED screens).

Seriously, MBA upper lid is soo thin, I expect MB or MBP to be slightly thinner if they use MBA upper lid without comprimising the hardware specs.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Since the Air introduction it's pretty obvious what the next MacBook Pro will have:

-LED LCD on all models, 15" & 17"

-New black keyboard, MacBook style

-Tapered bottom for added sexyness

-Enlarged trackpad with gestures

-The new angled Magsafe connector

-Magnetic lid

Some other features:

-Latest and greatest Intel processors

-Above average laptop graphics

-Since edges are tapered, there will be retractable ports like on the Air on both sides

-Optical still loads from the front

-Kensington lock!

-Optical audio in/out

-removable battery!

-.8" thick throughout

Wishful thinking:

-An elongated Magsafe connector that can take normal Magsafe adapters but you can purchase a separate larger Magsafe power brick that connect into the longer connector and it includes Ethernet, USB, audio, firewire and Video ports.

No, those aren't "pretty obvious!"

First: a tapered design is likely impossible. As long as the MacBook Pro has an optical drive, a 2.5-inch hard drive, and the same expansion ports, the size needs to be about the same the whole way around. This would also mean there was little point to the angled MagSafe connector, though the keyboard, trackpad, and a magnetic latch are distinctly possible.

Note that these aren't givens -- I can see Apple issuing at least one more straightforward update that doesn't change a thing with the exterior.

I can tell you right now that, given Apple's history, much of the performance is already dictated. If the MacBook Pro is updated soon (and I hear it will be), you're looking at 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz models. At least one of these is likely to come with 4GB of memory standard. I wouldn't be surprised to see GeForce 9600M video or (if that's not ready yet) Mobility Radeon HD 3600 video instead. The latter was announced at CES. I'd also expect standard hard disk storage of 160GB and 250GB as well.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Folks, Hot off the presses..

It looks like HP just made the move to penryn. I think it looks like this tuesday is our day..

Penryn MacBook Pro's with the OSX Update.. get your credit cards ready!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/27/h...est-pavilions/
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoomstop View Post

Folks, Hot off the presses..

It looks like HP just made the move to penryn. I think it looks like this tuesday is our day..

Penryn MacBook Pro's with the OSX Update.. get your credit cards ready!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/27/h...est-pavilions/

Why do you think Tuesday would be the day?
  • Reply 71 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

I wonder if anyone can do a design of the future MBP inspired by the MBA. I think future MBP will have those curvy shapes like MBA except not as thin. I expect that future MBs or MBPs will have thinner upper lid (LED screens).

Seriously, MBA upper lid is soo thin, I expect MB or MBP to be slightly thinner if they use MBA upper lid without comprimising the hardware specs.

I sure as hell hope not. That design works for a 3lb low profile laptop with much of the internal parts removed to improve convective heat transfer.

This design won't work on a Mac Book Pro fully featured.

The Air has a specific target market and so does the MBP. They aren't the same markets.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasny View Post

Why do you think Tuesday would be the day?

because like he said, HP just got them, meaning Apple could be next.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
  • Reply 74 of 105
    I ruddy hope it is soon - got the money now for a new laptop and as the wife's one has died I need one sooner rather than later.

And if Apple don't uplift the MBP I'll be stuck with Dell/Rock/Alienware (I need a reasonable - not necessarily SLI - graphics card so Nvidia 8800 or better)...
  • Reply 75 of 105
    So if the rumor is true, do you think the MB will be updated too? I want to buy one now, should I go ahead or wait a little longer?
  • Reply 76 of 105
    I would expect the MB to be a few weeks (if not more) behind the MBP...

Assuming Apple are like other companies who tend to put new tech in the new product line, then their 'premium' range and then the 'lower-end'.
  • Reply 77 of 105
    The one reliable rumour consistently reported across various Mac blogs and forums is the gesture trackpad premiered with the MacBook Air will be introduced into the MacBook Pro line-up.

If this is correct, and the next version of the MacBook Pro is going to get a revised trackpad, then won't it be necessary to redesign the keyboard area to provide more real estate for gestures? And if the new MBP gets a revised keyboard and new trackpad, then wouldn't it also make sense to incorporate a thinner body and screen design at the same time? Maybe.

For sure, a MBP redesign is on the cards. The question is when?

If Montevina (Intel's new Centrino chipset) was ready now, we could reliably expect a redesign by February; but it isn't.

Launching a revised MBP with only an upgraded chip seems a bit lame, (it won't have anything like the performance of the full Montevina), but would at least enable a new MBP to be launched now. Would such a machine would be a compromised product? Not necessarily. If it offers better battery life and a lower weight, plus the new keyboard and gesture trackpad, that will be enough.

The trouble with launching a redesigned MacBook Pro now is that it will cramp the MacBook Air's style. So Apple may delay revisions to it until both Montevina is ready and MacBook Air is established. If this is correct, then expect only a mild February refresh and a proper redesign in September (remember it's 6-months between updates).
  • Reply 78 of 105
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Launching a revised MBP with only an upgraded chip seems a bit lame, (it won't have anything like the performance of the full Montevina).

When Montevina ships the next processor revision with new enhancements will be few months away. Since Core Duo was introduced Intel makes out-of -phase upgrades for the processor and the chipset, each bringing the performance up and power down. It will be an endless loop if Apple waits for both updates.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    Just give us a Penryn based 2.6/2.8 GHz (unless the 2.8 is only in the extreme version) and an uplift to either the 8800 or the 9500 (think that's the new number) of the Geforce.

Then Apple will gain my money and a Mac will join my household.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Some OEMs are advertising Penryn-based notebooks are for pre-roder sale for delivery in the first week of Februray. I still hold that it will be another 4 weeks before any upgraded MBPs hit so MBA can have several weeks to git the ground running.

Here is what we can expect from Penryn MBPs assuming that Apple keeps the same pricepoint.
    $316

? T7500 "Santa Rosa" (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $1,999)

$530

? T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? T9500 "Penryn" (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $2,499)
    I can't find accurate prices for the chips below so I can't be certain that the Penryn listed is the successor to the Satna Rosa listed.
    ? T7800 "Santa Rosa" (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? X9000 "Penryn" (2.80 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

(15" MBP @ $2,749)