iPhone update restores manual music, video control

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While Apple's iPhone 1.1.3 update has brought features such as map positioning and a customizable home screen, the coinciding release of iTunes 7.6 brings a long-requested feature to the iPhone: drag-and-drop music and video control.



Although its close cousin the iPod touch and all traditional iPods have had the ability to load or delete songs and movie clips at will, the iPhone has until now been limited to automated sync features, such as playlists, most recent TV shows, and podcasts.



However, the iTunes 7.6 upgrade now puts the iPhone on a level playing field with Apple's other mobile devices. An owner of the handset can now see the individual songs and other media files loaded on the phone in iTunes and either drag files in the iTunes Library to the device or else delete them by hand to make space for new content.



One exception to the rule that AppleInsider has discovered is podcast support. Whether they're audio or video, podcasts must always be automatically synchronized with the phone by their viewing status or recentness.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 26
    nerudaneruda Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    long-requested feature to the iPhone: drag-and-drop music and video control. [/url][/c]



    Why Apple did not include this functionality when the first iPhone was released is beyond comprehension. Add Cut and paste to that list.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post


    Add Cut and paste to that list.



    Apologies for another dumb question (I've had a couple of those today -- too busy a day, and too much info to process): So, 1.1.3 does include cut-copy-paste?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Apologies for another dumb question (I've had a couple of those today -- too busy a day, and too much info to process): So, 1.1.3 does include cut-copy-paste?







    don't hold thy breath.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Apologies for another dumb question (I've had a couple of those today -- too busy a day, and too much info to process): So, 1.1.3 does include cut-copy-paste?



    No =P



    Best,



    K
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post






    don't hold thy breath.



    That's too bad. It - along with absence of voice dialing - is my only major beef with the iPhone.



    I am surprised they sold 4 million!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post


    Why Apple did not include this functionality when the first iPhone was released is beyond comprehension. Add Cut and paste to that list.



    I think they should have eliminated manual mangement from all iPods with the recent refresh. This option dooms unsavvy iPod users to accidentally circumvent autosync and reduces an aspect of usability of the product to that of its competitors - you shouldn't have to drag & drop, just plug it in. All the flexibility can be replicated by 'manually managing' a sync'd playlist.



    It does, however, aid piracy. Trashing a product's usability to facilitate that is ridiculous!



    McD
  • Reply 7 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    Drag and drop podcast support isn't really needed. As people subscribe to podcasts. The podcasts I really want to listen to always end up on my iPhone anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    nerudaneruda Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post


    I think they should have eliminated manual mangement from all iPods with the recent refresh. This option dooms unsavvy iPod users to accidentally circumvent autosync and reduces an aspect of usability



    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. Drag and drop has been a pillar of the Mac OS usability, and having to synch the device manually was just plain retarded and contrary to the ease of use and functionality of Apple's own iPods in that regard. I don't want to have to re-sync the freaking phone every-time that I want to add a song or two. This is a move in the right direction by Apple.



    Apple 1, McDave 0
  • Reply 9 of 26
    boogabooga Posts: 1,077member
    Another change in iTunes 7.6, as I mentioned in the iPod Touch discussion, is that it reminds you every single time you start it up that there's a $20 upgrade to your software, and forces you to either buy it or click "Remind Me Later" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.



    So... how do I downgrade?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    People with the iphone couldn't do this the whole time and no one seemed to document or mention it? What the hell?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    boogabooga Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post


    Another change in iTunes 7.6, as I mentioned in the iPod Touch discussion, is that it reminds you every single time you start it up that there's a $20 upgrade to your software, and forces you to either buy it or click "Remind Me Later" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.



    So... how do I downgrade?



    Interesting... a "No Thanks" button appeared the last time I did it... either Apple updated it online this evening, or you have to "Remind Me Later" sufficiently often and it appears. Still. Apple's in-your-face, pay-up-the-nose tactics are starting to wear very thin.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    i think the $20 update for ipod touches will not sit well with customers... if they'd done that with a real osX update it would be understandable, but like that i doesn't feel right...



    my 2 cents
  • Reply 13 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    i think the $20 update for ipod touches will not sit well with customers... if they'd done that with a real osX update it would be understandable, but like that i doesn't feel right...



    my 2 cents



    If they did that with OS X I'd shoot Steve.



    My 2c
  • Reply 14 of 26
    i meant an update like 10.4 to 10.5...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Drag and drop podcast support isn't really needed. As people subscribe to podcasts. The podcasts I really want to listen to always end up on my iPhone anyway.



    Where this would come in handy is if you're syncing podcasts from 2 locations: Pick up daily podcasts at home in the morning, and grab updated content throughout the day from the office e.g., a they are updated.



    I really miss this ability that I used all the time on my Nano, because I don't always take the Macbook I sync to with me to work.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    One exception to the rule that AppleInsider has discovered is podcast support. Whether they're audio or video, podcasts must always be automatically synchronized with the phone by their viewing status or recentness.



    This is NOT an exception. You can manage this manually too. Uncheck "Sync", and drag podcasts to your iPhone. Apple let's you keep syncing your podcasts separately from everything else, but you still don't need to.



    ~ CB
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I overcame syncing podcasts, by right clicking on them and then using 'Convert selection for iPod/iPhone

    They then appear under Movies as well as Podcasts and can be dragged from Movies into the iPhone.



    cheers



    Paul
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    I am surprised they sold 4 million!



    That's what most people who don't have one say. I'm surprised that haven't sold 8 million. This phone, with the above mentioned features still missing, is still absolutely incredible. Sorry to sound like such a fanboi but I look at the crap that I used to call a "cell phone" now and can't image dealing with such primitive devices ever again.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Is the drag-and-drop functionality independent of the firmware on the iPhone, and does it work on both locked and unlocked iPhones?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Does anyone know when 10.5.2 will be available? I thought it was to be released during MacWorld.
Sign In or Register to comment.