GET THIS: HD in the AppleTV is only 720p!!!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Really??? and how do you figure that?

Saying 720p and 1080i are the same would be close to accurate... but 1080p is quite a bit more information than 1080i !

What he said...

But my thing is, if you are going to purchase 1080p TV using a $230 dollar box isn't really the answer. Because it's mainly for 720p 1080i TVs, which is a great product @ $230... If I remember correctly 1080p is like (pseudo) twice 1080i... :P
  • Reply 42 of 108
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

... If I remember correctly 1080p is like (pseudo) twice 1080i... :P

You remember incorrectly.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

What he said...

But my thing is, if you are going to purchase 1080p TV using a $230 dollar box isn't really the answer. Because it's mainly for 720p 1080i TVs, which is a great product @ $230... If I remember correctly 1080p is like (pseudo) twice 1080i... :P

Simply put... would you prefer 720p @ 60fps or 1080i60 = 1080p @ 30fps? Depends on what you're watching, but most people would have hard time seeing the difference (if they care to) at the viewing distance on either 1080p or 720p (or 768p) flat panel TV, unless you're watching on 80+" projector at 10 ft away. Since most of you guys are not the Home Theather buffs, you won't even know what to look for to see the difference.
  • Reply 44 of 108
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I'll say it again, in simpler terms....

When you sit 12 feet away from a 50" screen, No one can tell the difference!

Not with the best eyesight in the world.

C.

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Its 1:00 am as I write this.

At this very moment I am relaxing in my pefect chair zero gravity recliner. Floating above me is a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor suspended by a custom monitor arm/mobile workstation stand I had built myself. The monitor is taking up my full view and is about......less than 2 feet from me. To my right is the drink stand attachment for the chair. And to the left is a small 19 inch CRT television. And in my lap is a bluetooth wireless keyboard and kensington trackball mouse.

My needs are greater than the average consumer.

Now to respond to your post..........are you frickin kiddin me? I might as well run down the block from my house and watch a 50" screen from there. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from there either!

My 52" 1080p screen would be setup at about 6 feet away. Perhaps a tad more but not really. Thing is I want to see all the detail I paid for. 250,000:1 contrast ratio, 1080p signal....nothing less will satisfy.

Oh, and hollywood blockbusters only no freakin 2 star dog of a movie either! I'll save the B movies for appletv downloads cause those I wouldn't care about the quality all that much. So my wait for true 1080p HD downloads (officially sanctioned) continues. Still not interested in buying blu-ray or hd-dvd though.

EDIT: Going to bed. I'll respond to this thread better from my desk at work tommorow cyas.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I never imagined that anyone would actually admit to sitting 6" away from their TV!
  • Reply 46 of 108
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Be sure to blink ocasionally Olternaut or you'll get scuff marks on your retinas...
  • Reply 47 of 108
    Have any of you 720 honks ever used the PC input on that tv of yours? There's your difference right freaking there. The way that box is going, Steve's 'hobby' might as well be a turntable.

Although, I might have to side with the 720 n00bs in regards to the issue of movie rentals. Its a one time movie rental. And its a download. I'd rather have it sooner than later. But if I go out and buy an HD projector, which are all the rage these days, Apple has nothing for me there. Is it too much for them to keep up with the times?
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

Have any of you 720 honks ever used the PC input on that tv of yours? There's your difference right freaking there. The way that box is going, Steve's 'hobby' might as well be a turntable.

Although, I might have to side with the 720 n00bs in regards to the issue of movie rentals. Its a one time movie rental. And its a download. I'd rather have it sooner than later. But if I go out and buy an HD projector, which are all the rage these days, Apple has nothing for me there. Is it too much for them to keep up with the times?

Oh and hell ya!!! Forgot to mention the obvious. I'll be hooking up that 52" 1080p monitor to my pc for some Crysis (tm) action booyaaaa!!!!

Wait a moment.....*sips a bit of morning tea.....earl grey*

Ya what was I saying? Right, for a freaking rental that at those prices for only a 24hr viewing period had better be the best quality....period. And compression be damned! I have 30 days to download it so time there is not a factor. Plus they could always use a fancy codec like the latest version of divx or even xvid. Bottomline: 1080p downloads or no money from me mr. jobs.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Bottomline: 1080p downloads or no money from me mr. jobs.

Most people just want near-instant rentals and 720p is more than sufficient for them. Thankfully Mr. Jobs would rather have most people's money than yours.

Since time is of no concern to you,
    Quote:

I have 30 days to download it so time there is not a factor.

renting or buying on Blu-ray is a much better option for you to get your 1080p movies as pristine as possible. Since Apple holds a patent or two used in Blu-ray movies Steve Jobs still gets some of your money so everybody's happy.

Unless of course you're just nitpicking the hell out of the situation with no regard to realistic market forces or technological realities, in which case you'll never ever be happy.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Most people just want near-instant rentals and 720p is more than sufficient for them. Thankfully Mr. Jobs would rather have most people's money than yours.

Since time is of no concern to you, renting or buying on Blu-ray is a much better option for you to get your 1080p movies as pristine as possible. Since Apple holds a patent or two used in Blu-ray movies Steve Jobs still gets some of your money so everybody's happy.

Unless of course you're just nitpicking the hell out of the situation with no regard to realistic market forces or technological realities, in which case you'll never ever be happy.

All I know is the technology is there for people to download 1080p full HD movies now.....not later RIGHT NOW!

I don't see why Jobs can't allow people to download full hd movies from his service right now as opposed to a year or two later like it will be some big deal upgrade.

Its ridiculous is what it is.

Perhaps Microsoft will do something to try to save hd-dvd from failing so that his masterplan of seeing both blu-ray and hd-dvd fail will come to fruition. Why is it that of all companies microsoft actually realizes that hd movies should be downloadable? This is the one time that I actually agree with Gates.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Quote:

All I know is the technology is there for people to download 1080p full HD movies now.....not later RIGHT NOW!

I don't see why Jobs can allow people to download full hd movies from his service right now as opposed to a year or two later like it will be some big deal upgrade.

Its ridiculous is what it is.

Perhaps Microsoft will do something to try to save hd-dvd from failing so that his masterplan of seeing both blu-ray and hd-dvd fail will come to fruition. Why is it that of all companies microsoft actually realizes that hd movies should be downloadable? This is the one time that I actually agree with Gates.

You're over reacting to the intro spec of downloadable rental movie service. We should be happy that company like Apple is taking the risk to roll out this technology. I'm sure more features will be added as the infrastructure of the business become more solid. Once the roll-out phase is over, the 1080p option will likely be added at a later time. Actually, I'm hoping they add the purchasing option as well.

The current service features are not perfect. I think the price is still too high for a rental, and I do also hope to get 1080p option, but since it's just a roll out price and feature, we're little too early to start complaining. Have you even tried 720p HDM rental on your system?... Please, do try it, you won't be disappointed. I'm sure your 1080p HDTV has a built-in scaler that does beautiful job upcaling 720p to 1080p.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I never imagined that anyone would actually admit to sitting 6" away from their TV!

I sit about 6.5 feet from my 60" HDTV. It's good for movies, which is primarily what it's used for. Gaming I tend to back up a bit, but when the Netflix gets here, scooch scooch scooch.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Yes, they are called torrents.

As a commercial proposition the existence of "technology" does not mean that the bandwidth and infrastructure are also available. The thing that you need to learn is that Apple is not trying to sacrifice the revenue that 1080p video would bring in. What Apple is doing, however, is dealing in the World of the Possible. No amount of ranting and raving is going to change that.
  • Reply 54 of 108
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    There's no arguing with someone who claims he'd prefer to wait up to 30 days for a download rather than make a 30 minute trip to the local rental place or wait 3 days (max) for a Netflix envelope.

He obviously has grossly skewed priorities or is simply trolling.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Oh and hell ya!!! Forgot to mention the obvious. I'll be hooking up that 52" 1080p monitor to my pc for some Crysis (tm) action booyaaaa!!!!

Wait a moment.....*sips a bit of morning tea.....earl grey*

Ya what was I saying? Right, for a freaking rental that at those prices for only a 24hr viewing period had better be the best quality....period. And compression be damned! I have 30 days to download it so time there is not a factor. Plus they could always use a fancy codec like the latest version of divx or even xvid. Bottomline: 1080p downloads or no money from me mr. jobs.

You are never going to get a 1080p rental from the Apple TV. Not ever.

Not without a serious hardware makeover. The Apple TV ain't go the muscle.

I guess they simply don't believe that families are gonna hunch-up 6" feet from their TVs.

Which, to be fair, is reasonable.

C.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

My 52" 1080p screen would be setup at about 6 feet away. Perhaps a tad more but not really. Thing is I want to see all the detail I paid for. 250,000:1 contrast ratio, 1080p signal....nothing less will satisfy.

Oh, and hollywood blockbusters only no freakin 2 star dog of a movie either! I'll save the B movies for appletv downloads cause those I wouldn't care about the quality all that much. So my wait for true 1080p HD downloads (officially sanctioned) continues. Still not interested in buying blu-ray or hd-dvd though.

EDIT: Going to bed. I'll respond to this thread better from my desk at work tommorow cyas.

Buy a Blu-Ray player and rent films from NetFlix or Blockbuster. That's the only way you're going to get the highest quality possible. Even if the Apple TV was 1080p, downloadable video has to be compressed so much in order for it to be watchable in a timely fashion that the quality difference between a 1080p download vs a 720p download will be negligible. Read: You're not going to get perfect picture and sound from a download, regardless of resolution.
  • Reply 57 of 108
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    That's sound advice. I may have my own issues with aTV but the 720p resolution isn't one of them. It's a reasonable trade-off and if you want higher quality there are other ways of getting it.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    So I'm watching the HD DVD version of Transformers on my Sharp.

I'm sitting there just gawking at the PQ. Megan Fox never looked better and then it hits me...my HDTV is scaling the picture DOWN to 720. I'm not seeing 1080p.

This pretty much tells me that consumers will Love a well mastered 720p film. I've seen two identically sized Sharps at Best Buy sitting side by side playing the same content. One was 1366x768 and the other was 1920x1080 both were 37". Frankly I could bare perceive a difference in the picture. I truly think 1080p takes more than 42" to discern differences and likely above 60 inches to make any real difference at all.

If I can get my movie faster bring on the 720p. If the movie is a keeper I'll buy the HD optical version.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

You're over reacting to the intro spec of downloadable rental movie service. We should be happy that company like Apple is taking the risk to roll out this technology. I'm sure more features will be added as the infrastructure of the business become more solid. Once the roll-out phase is over, the 1080p option will likely be added at a later time. Actually, I'm hoping they add the purchasing option as well.

The current service features are not perfect. I think the price is still too high for a rental, and I do also hope to get 1080p option, but since it's just a roll out price and feature, we're little too early to start complaining. Have you even tried 720p HDM rental on your system?... Please, do try it, you won't be disappointed. I'm sure your 1080p HDTV has a built-in scaler that does beautiful job upcaling 720p to 1080p.

Perhaps I will try it. But I'm sorry I'm not going to run those "HD" movies on a 1080p 52" screen. And this is especially so since I've been hearing its not even 720p but more like "720p....ish".

But there are several movies I will not rent on apple's service because I want to see it on the big 52" lcd in full HD. Perhaps I will give in and get a blu-ray......a cheap one.
  • Reply 60 of 108
    Quote:

Perhaps I will try it. But I'm sorry I'm not going to run those "HD" movies on a 1080p 52" screen. And this is especially so since I've been hearing its not even 720p but more like "720p....ish".

But there are several movies I will not rent on apple's service because I want to see it on the big 52" lcd in full HD. Perhaps I will give in and get a blu-ray......a cheap one.

Actually, just hook up your TV to your mac/pc and try out the quicktime movie trailer. Find one with 480p, 720p, & 1080p downloads and see if you can tell the difference when played from your normal viewing distance.

Only downside is that this experiment tests your GPU's/software ability to upscale, but it should be fine regardless.