WHERE & WHEN - MacBook PRO ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a chance for the update to ACTUALLY take place end of Jan ????

There are some rumors about the others , dell , sony,Toshiba etc. to give the Penryns a shot in Feb ...what do you think ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    MacBook Pro + Air aesthetics & industrial design + gesture touchpad = purchase
  • Reply 2 of 40
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

My guess ? By Wednesday, February 20th.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I say Before the 20th of Feb

i think before the end of the month.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Only in a special Apple event. If we hear Apple sending invititations in the next months, we know what it will be about.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

I am guessing 6 months or more for additional models of the Air. I don't think they will directly bring the Air design to the MBP line anytime within a year or more, because they need to keep a distinction between the lines.

The additional models of Air, likely with a large screen size, if it happens at all, will be at least 6 months in order to limit choices on it for now. I am not sure if I really think the MBA line will be expanded, given that it's entire reason for being is compactness.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I am guessing 6 months or more for additional models of the Air. I don't think they will directly bring the Air design to the MBP line anytime within a year or more, because they need to keep a distinction between the lines.

The additional models of Air, likely with a large screen size, if it happens at all, will be at least 6 months in order to limit choices on it for now. I am not sure if I really think the MBA line will be expanded, given that it's entire reason for being is compactness.

I Don't think that you will see more than one MBA at a time.

The way that they will give multiple models will be by BTO. A larger screen size destroys the concept of the MBA, the concept being of a second machine that is easier to carry around while giving you enough power and screen area to get things done.

I think what you will see in 6-9 months is a change in the chip being used to give more battery life and less heat, and a change to OLED screen when they become truly available.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

I Don't think that you will see more than one MBA at a time.

The way that they will give multiple models will be by BTO. A larger screen size destroys the concept of the MBA, the concept being of a second machine that is easier to carry around while giving you enough power and screen area to get things done.

Um-m-m-m, no. Long battery life and small weight are just two features of the MacBook Air. They are both great features, but they are by no means game-changers. The game-changer feature of the MacBook Air is the gesture-enabled touchpad. This new touchpad is certain to be a feature of the next-generation MacBook/MacBook Pro. I also now have serious concerns for the survival of the mouse on the desktop. The gestures enabled by the MBA's touchpad cannot be replicated using a mouse. It would not surprise me at all to see the mouse, an essential element of the Mac since 1984, be supplanted by a version of Apple's new touchpad.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    I agree that the new touch pad is the start of something new, but I don't think it will replace the mouse completely. I remember when people said that the trackball, trackpad, or other device would replace the mouse it hasn't happened. It may cause the mouse to have a smaller market share, but it will still be around.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

How about updating a design that is now more than 5 years old? Not necessarily more MBA models, but a new MBP design taking some hints from the MBA one.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I am going to be conservative.

Either middle of March or at the latest at NAB in April.

Remember MacPro penryn chips were available in November and the MacPro was just update last week.

So it might take some time to build enough quantity for shipping and also for Apple to test it on the new machines.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

I agree that the new touch pad is the start of something new, but I don't think it will replace the mouse completely. I remember when people said that the trackball, trackpad, or other device would replace the mouse it hasn't happened. It may cause the mouse to have a smaller market share, but it will still be around.

Apple is working on a mouse with touch interface on top of it,as heard , so ... not dead at all, just more powerful . The Mighty mouse is lame now anyway so .

It's sad- i'm beginning to think that there ain't going to be an update to the Macbook pro before a month has passed .

It doesn't matter to them that people began to wonder about the "premium" of the MBP over the Macbooks even as they introduced the santa rosa-Macbook. AND NOW it's even worse for the MBP- it doesn't have the multytouch feat. ... SO if you ask me , there is just NO WAY the MBPs stay like this more than a month.

the sad story is that i need the update within 2 weeks .
  • Reply 12 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    MacBook and Pro will be updated in March - my best guess. They may go slightly thinner and give both of them all similar features and design-traits that are present in Air. As in large gesture trackpad, black backlit & newly design keyboard, mag-latch and tapered outer case.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

MacBook and Pro will be updated in March - my best guess. They may go slightly thinner and give both of them all similar features and design-traits that are present in Air. As in large gesture trackpad, black backlit & newly design keyboard, mag-latch and tapered outer case.

If so, I'll buy one of each (no Air for me though).
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

If so, I'll buy one of each (no Air for me though).

Haha, nice.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

I Personally love the look of the new black keys.

i wonder is they will change colour like the alienware's keys do.. that is so not needed but adds a personal touch IMO

haha random thought.. the apple on the of the laptopns should have a OLED screen so you can change the colours. like the old Rainbow apple or have a worm travelling through it.. haha

*ahem* never mind that.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

How about updating a design that is now more than 5 years old? Not necessarily more MBA models, but a new MBP design taking some hints from the MBA one.

I completely agree. I miss the Titanium powerbooks I'm fairly surprised that Apple, a company for whom one of their main selling points is their industrial design, would let one of their product lines stagnate for 5-plus years without a facelift. I'm definitely holding off on an upgrade until they come up with something fresh.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

haha random thought.. the apple on the of the laptopns should have a OLED screen so you can change the colours. like the old Rainbow apple or have a worm travelling through it.. haha

*ahem* never mind that.

We will mind it, so there! :P

That Apple logo is lit from the backlight inside the display, it's not a separate light.

Here
  • Reply 18 of 40
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pointycollars View Post

I'm fairly surprised that Apple, a company for whom one of their main selling points is their industrial design, would let one of their product lines stagnate for 5-plus years without a facelift. I'm definitely holding off on an upgrade until they come up with something fresh.

What's wrong with the current industrial design?

There's no point in change for the sake of it, and there's nothing wrong (IMO) with the current design.

If they DO come up with something better then great. But "being 5 years old" is not reason for change.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

What's wrong with the current industrial design?

There's no point in change for the sake of it, and there's nothing wrong (IMO) with the current design.

If they DO come up with something better then great. But "being 5 years old" is not reason for change.

Are you kidding? Seriously?

Apple is *the* premier (technology) industrial design leader in the WORLD. All new ID elements are either defined or refined by Apple's graphic artists, mechanical enclosure designers, stylists, graphical interface engineers and copy editors. Look around you. You can't help but notice Apple's influence on design is **everywhere** from cars, to retail stores, to web page layouts, to graphic elements on ordinary products, to office furniture (a few examples among many).

I don't want to sound too overly dramatic, but Apple has an extremely unique business model that depends on...no...its *defined* by extreme high quality product design, advertisement, Ad copy, product placement/positioning, etc. From that expertise flows $Billions per quarter. I am certain Apple is keenly aware of how crusty old the MBP is from a design standpoint. It is *hugely* in need of a refresh. Among the obvious already stated here, Apple will go beyond anything most have thought of (their relationship with Intel enables some interesting possibilities). They need to further distinguish the MBP line from MB & MBA lines. MBP garners the majority of their product margins and they must protect that revenue. Their brand depends on it.

Bottom line, Apple most certainly will re-establish MBP as the undisputed leader in pro-consumer laptops. If not in Spring, then soon after. I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced at the next large Apple event in June. MBP is far too important of a product category to go without an update for 5 years. I would consider it a major strategic mistake if Apple didn't introduce something in 2008.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkillian View Post

Are you kidding? Seriously?

No.

And all those words and you still didn't answer the question.

What's wrong with the current design, and what needs changing?