Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 141 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why is that?

It's true they went to 8 cores as the standard, but I was thinking the new Mac Pro uses the Penryn chip a 45nm and we are speculating that the next MacBook pro will also get the 45nm goods in a laptop class version, so while Apple usually likes to retain the same price points with new generations, it's also possible that the new MBP will also see a price increase. Maybe a new found (or restored) greed for the old time margins.
  • Reply 142 of 198
    Hi everybody!

As I was registering, I saw that discussion went on to CPU-s, and that was my first intention, to throw in a question that burns(inside me): When will we see a quadcore MBP beast ?
  • Reply 143 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

It's true they went to 8 cores as the standard, but I was thinking the new Mac Pro uses the Penryn chip a 45nm and we are speculating that the next MacBook pro will also get the 45nm goods in a laptop class version, so while Apple usually likes to retain the same price points with new generations, it's also possible that the new MBP will also see a price increase. Maybe a new found (or restored) greed for the old time margins.

Obviously these prices don't reflect what Apple is paying Intel but it does show that Apple has stepped up the chip considerably as there were other options Apple could have used to keep the Mac Pro at the same price point. The data below shows that each chip is $100 more than the previous model, take into consideration the BT is now included and the price jumps a little more. Everythign else is just natural speed and capacity upgrades that come with a new machine. If Apple uses the new Penryn at the corresponding pricepoint of the Santa Rosa model I wouldn't expect any price increase.

Mac Pro (Previous)

— 2x Dual-Core

— 5150

— "Woodcrest"

— 2.66GHz

— 4MB L2

— 1333MHz FSB

— Socket 771

$690 (per 1000)

Mac Pro (Current)

— 2x Quad-Core

— "Harpertown"

— E5462

— 2.80GHz

— 12MB L2

— 1600MHz FSB

— Socket 771

$797 (per 1000)
  • Reply 144 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walldorfb View Post

Hi everybody!

As I was registering, I saw that discussion went on to CPU-s, and that was my first intention, to throw in a question that burns(inside me): When will we see a quadcore MBP beast ?

As of yesterday on these forums, some are saying today and some are saying as far as 6 weeks.

Some of the reasoning:

— Penryn MacBook pros are long overdue

— Penryn is being delayed due to rumours about manufacturing issues

— Apple wants MacBook Air to capture the spotlight for a few weeks

— Mobile version come about 2 months after desktop releases
  • Reply 145 of 198
    The 2-3 weeks for the 17" MBP is the Apple Store for Education Institutions, which is different than the Apple Store for Education Individuals. The reason for the uptick there is usually when Apple is planning a new product roll out and they dry up inventory in the education institution space first.
  • Reply 146 of 198
    Quote:

As of yesterday on these forums, some are saying today and some are saying as far as 6 weeks.

Some of the reasoning:

— Penryn MacBook pros are long overdue

— Penryn is being delayed due to rumours about manufacturing issues

— Apple wants MacBook Air to capture the spotlight for a few weeks

— Mobile version come about 2 months after desktop releases

, good one! And thank you for the welcome and appreciate the effort to answer a n00b's post!

But seriously, does any1 have a serious opinion on the thing?
  • Reply 147 of 198
    Quote:

Hi everybody!

It seems we have to wait for a second generation called Nehalem and specifically "Clarksfield" for the mobile line, much later in 2008 for quad-core mobile processors. that should have 8MB cache and have a TDP of 45 to 55W. Shouldn't ship until 2nd quarter of 2009.
  • Reply 148 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

It seems we have to wait for a second generation called Nehalem and specifically "Clarksfield" for the mobile line, much later in 2008 for quad-core mobile processors. that should have 8MB cache and have a TDP of 45 to 55W. Shouldn't ship until 2nd quarter of 2009.

Thanks for that! I must admit I was too lazy to dig in anything else to find out, so I asked directly... I bought my wife a 15'MBP last October and I still rely on my dual G5 PM, sometimes borrowing her MBP for the road, but I can tell that I just can't wait to see one quadcore MBP screaming in my hands...

And sorry for dilluting the thread, that's just me...
  • Reply 149 of 198
    Quote:

, good one!

Opps, i misread your post. i didn't see "quad-core".

Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 150 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post

I don't know why you'd think that I would lie ... after all, I'm the one who's trying to get the best Mac he can.

I understand that maybe she's not allowed to say, or she's just been kept in the dark. More specifically, what she said was along the lines of "the employees are not aware of any updates". I just wish I knew whether or not it was worth waiting!

Why would you lie? You are a first time, pseudonymenous poster with a self-referentially pseudonymenous handle (a "ghostwriter", i.e., someone who doesn't write under their own name.) There is no reason to trust anything you say anymore than there is reason for you or anyone to trust anything I say, thus we judge these posts on whether they make sense rather than on trusting someone we have no reason to trust.

That being said, I never said you lied. I said that one of you is likely to be lying because a) phone reps aren't in a position to know Apple dev schedules, and b) if they did they wouldn't tell random strangers since that would get them fired big time. So, if a rep claimed to "know" that there were no updates planed for 3-6 months they probably didn't "know" that and were lying, or you made it up to pass along a good story.

Please don't be offended that I don't take the word of an anonymous first time poster as sacred!
  • Reply 151 of 198
    Quote:

Opps, i misread your post. i didn't see "quad-core".

Welcome to AI.

Oh, that's nothing, and Thank You for the welcome!
  • Reply 152 of 198
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Any educated answers yet? When the Apple stores were down this morning, I thought that we may see new MacBook Pros today. I know but I was hoping.....
  • Reply 153 of 198
    I've been receiving an RSS feed of AI since the preliminary coverage of the the then-unreleased iPod classics. I only pay attention to the news pertaining to products I plan on buying, and the Macbook pro just may be one of my most expensive purchases ever as a college student. I'm excited about this update, though I hope it comes soon and with little effect to the cost, though I doubt it will. Most people here DO make good arguments. But that's the thing, this is speculative news... what's going on here is like arguing over the future in the form of facts

Post Scriptum: I'm sadly a PC owner, and I hate it. I love macs and can't wait to get my MBP. The main uses will be college and music production. But I need a laptop SOON. So soon that anything over 6 weeks, I simply can't wait for, any advice?
  • Reply 154 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

So Im thinking about buying a Macbook in the next few days, because to me the difference between a midrange Macbook and a 15" Pro is 2 inches of screen space and a better graphics card for an extra 1000 dollars. Since i dont work on/play with video games or produce 3D stuff, paying all that extra money doesnt seem worth it for my personal needs (graphic design, audio, some video stuff). But, with this rumor circulating should I wait to see if the current Pros get a price drop?

I would appreciate some advice

Thanks!

I just bought the black one at the weekend and will be getting 4gb RAM from crucial.com to slap in it. It's a great bit of kit. I'm a graphic designer by trade and have turned a nice profit on a PPC iMac G5 - I still use it to make A2 posters, websites etc, and I'll be doing the same with the 2.2, 4gb Black Macbook. I was holding out for a MBPro launch headed by S. Jobs - but he put all his effort into MacAirBiscuit. So I thought, F**k waiting, I'm losing money by not being mobile - get a MacBook, max it with RAM and get on with it. With that said - I'm happy with it. So that was my two-finger gesture for Mr. Jobs, lol.
  • Reply 155 of 198
    Hi All,

Mac user sense 1986 (Mac SE30) but first time user of this forum. Currently I have a MacPro 2007, iMac 2007 and just sold my MacBook Pro on eBay. I usually flip my laptop every 14 months. I will get the new MacBook Pro as soon as it comes out.

Based on the last 4 years track record. Apple likes to launch a HIGH Profile product / updated once a month and minor updates weekly on Tuesdays. I personally think that the new Macbook Pro will come out week 2 or week 3 of Feb.

If the MacBook Pro gets a processor update, hard drive and a multi-touch track pad update then I can see a Tuesday launch. (Minor Update)

However if the MacBook Pro goes through a major design change then I would think that Apple would want a “Launch event” in form of “Save the Date”. (Major Update)

I consider the MacBook Pro a high profile product for Apple. I am expecting a (Major Update) for the MacBook Pro to follow the MacBook Air’s design and possible color change.

I think they would want to create as much media hype as possible. Therefore I would say that a launch event is most likely week 3 or week 4 Thursday or Friday 6PM.
  • Reply 156 of 198
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

wow man... ive heard those duet interfaces are really nice, but suuper expensive. ive been lookin to update my audio interface, but dont have the money as of now.

If you have the money, the Duet is an amazing little (tiny, actually) portable device. You can control the unit directly from inside of Logic (and GarageBand) via CoreAudio. At five benjamins, it is 2 or 3 times more expensive than some of the cheaper USB audio interfaces out there. But IMO the improved fidelity and uber-low latency (mic'ed or direct) makes it worth it, even at twice the price. You'd have to demo one side by side to the competition to really appreciate the difference. It may not quite be an Ensemble, but it is still very much an Apogee. Absolutely perfect for the mobile musician.

BTW, to no one in particular, anyone who thinks USB = FireWire hasn't seen what can be done over a single FireWire connection. Its much more than just a fast connection to external hard drives. Its a shame IMO to not get at least one FW400 connector in the MBA. (sigh)
  • Reply 157 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

, good one! And thank you for the welcome and appreciate the effort to answer a n00b's post!

We all have serious opinions. That doesn't mean that we have any knowledge that would lead any of those opinions to be useful, other than for the expected admonition of, if you can wait a while, do so. If you can't then buy something now.

Really, none of us know anything. we read the news and extrapolate from there. sometimes, we get lucky, and sometimes not.
  • Reply 158 of 198
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We all have serious opinions. That doesn't mean that we have any knowledge that would lead any of those opinions to be useful, other than for the expected admonition of, if you can wait a while, do so. If you can't then buy something now.

Really, none of us know anything. we read the news and extrapolate from there. sometimes, we get lucky, and sometimes not.

Piggybacking on this advice: If there's a MacBook Pro that fits your needs now, buy it. If a new update comes out you can either sell yours and use the money to update inexpensively, or you can just hang on to your machine, which will still fit your needs. It's way too easy to take rumors way too seriously.
  • Reply 159 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Piggybacking on this advice: If there's a MacBook Pro that fits your needs now, buy it. If a new update comes out you can either sell yours and use the money to update inexpensively, or you can just hang on to your machine, which will still fit your needs. It's way too easy to take rumors way too seriously.

Yeah, if you have to have it *now* then get it now. Most people aren't like that. But if you can wait a few weeks, I think it would be worth it. The next model's chips are probably rolling out of Intel's plants right now, if they aren't already soldered into new machines.
  • Reply 160 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If you have the money, the Duet is an amazing little (tiny, actually) portable device. You can control the unit directly from inside of Logic (and GarageBand) via CoreAudio. At five benjamins, it is 2 or 3 times more expensive than some of the cheaper USB audio interfaces out there. But IMO the improved fidelity and uber-low latency (mic'ed or direct) makes it worth it, even at twice the price. You'd have to demo one side by side to the competition to really appreciate the difference. It may not quite be an Ensemble, but it is still very much an Apogee. Absolutely perfect for the mobile musician.

does it have phantom power for the inputs>? how many mic inputs can u use simultaneously if i wanted to record a drum track?