Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 161 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

does it have phantom power for the inputs>? how many mic inputs can u use simultaneously if i wanted to record a drum track?

off topic of the MBP update...but

To my knowledge, it only has two mic inputs, though im pretty sure they're phantom powered.
  • Reply 162 of 198
    sorry bout that...
  • Reply 163 of 198
    Quote:

sorry bout that...

dont be, i want a duet too. i never thought about drums though, i suppose you could get a mixer and mix down the input?
  • Reply 164 of 198
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

sorry bout that...

I gotta say, if only you clicked on the link provided?
  • Reply 165 of 198
    danukdanuk Posts: 31member
    So no MacBook Pro update on Tuesday. Mel and Sol as ever bastions of restrained optimism whilst around them swirl the heady vapors of rampant speculation and pedantic squabbling. I love it. Shall we reconvene next Monday, on the back of another tip-off for some more of the same? Great. See you there!

Dan
  • Reply 166 of 198
    I will swap the DVI port for eSata. Give us Micro DVI. And while you are at it, please flip that FW800 port to support new FW3200. Hey, I am not asking for PCcard slot. Just keep that Express card slot.

Give the 17 inch model the Nvidia 8800M graphics chip. That will out a big grin on the media people and gamers out there ....
  • Reply 167 of 198
    Oh, oh. If Apple puts eSATA ports, they can give us a New Time Capsule with eSATA port multipliers where stackable RAID can be created.

Wow, this way one can use TimeMachine to do a complete backup of a full 250Gb disk in under 2 hours!. Cool
  • Reply 168 of 198
    A good thing about Apples stock going down is that it might motivate them to release the MBP sooner , it will get that stock right back up there.
  • Reply 169 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

I will swap the DVI port for eSata. Give us Micro DVI. And while you are at it, please flip that FW800 port to support new FW3200. Hey, I am not asking for PCcard slot. Just keep that Express card slot.

Give the 17 inch model the Nvidia 8800M graphics chip. That will out a big grin on the media people and gamers out there ....

Forget FW3200. Maybe in 2009, when it will be available. But anything before the last quarter of this year is very unlikely.

I think we're more likely to see USB 3 before we see FW3200.
  • Reply 170 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

Oh, oh. If Apple puts eSATA ports, they can give us a New Time Capsule with eSATA port multipliers where stackable RAID can be created.

Wow, this way one can use TimeMachine to do a complete backup of a full 250Gb disk in under 2 hours!. Cool

We may see them AFTER the new Power Over SATA spec is finalized, and physical product becomes available. I can't think of any other good reason why Apple hasn't added it already. But that won't be before the end of the year, or so.

I hoped that Apple would have added it to the desktop line at least.
  • Reply 171 of 198
    i agree, the company does have a pretty good reaction system for issues like that.
  • Reply 172 of 198
    Hopefully they put a Blu-Ray drive in these things. Dell has a $200 upgrade for a Blu-Ray drive, and $400 for a Blu-ray writer.

Hopefully Apple offers a similar deal in the new Pro.
  • Reply 173 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbulla21 View Post

Hopefully they put a Blu-Ray drive in these things. Dell has a $200 upgrade for a Blu-Ray drive, and $400 for a Blu-ray writer.

Hopefully Apple offers a similar deal in the new Pro.

Without the Mac Pros having that option do you think it's probable?
  • Reply 174 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Without the Mac Pros having that option do you think it's probable?

Maybe they will begin to offer it at the NAB show in March.
  • Reply 175 of 198
    An interesting thought has occurred to me about the MacBook Pro refresh.

If it has a sleeker form factor, all of the expected ports and connectivity options most of us still need, a built-in DVD drive (incl. BlueRay option), 128Gb SSD hard drive option, a 15" LED screen, gesture touchpad and weighs around 4 lbs or 5 lbs, then it may offer just what most people were expecting from the MacBook Air.

In other words, for the next ieration of the MBP to be a home run, it simply needs to be thinner and lighter than it is at present.
  • Reply 176 of 198
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You should also note that the "multi-touch" trackpads have been in Apple laptops since the PowerBook G4 1.67ghz series. Two-finger scrolling is ubiquitous on Apple these days.

My 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 has dual-touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dukeswharf View Post

Any news of an SSD with these new Mac Pro's?

My guess is 64GB SSD will be a BTO option.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post

Slightly off topic, but when should we see a penryn iMac refresh?

Probably by summer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pup975 View Post

When are the Macbooks getting refreshed with new processor speeds, LCD screen, and new multi-touch trackpad?

Probably by summer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hansii View Post

Let's hope they fix the biggest problem with the MBP, the screen resolution

1920x1200 is not bad on the 17" model but the 15" does need higher resolution.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

I am pretty sure the Macbook Pros will be updated tomorrow or next week or the week after. To that guy who said "6 weeks" you are an idiot, that is over a month. Read the article, it said "serveral WEEKS" not Months. It won't take them 6 weeks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I'm pretty sure 6 would count as "several".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Six weeks is a few weeks. It's not even a few months.

In international usage, several means at least four but fewer than many. In American usage, several means at least three but fewer than many. My guess is we'll see updated MacBook Pros in four to six weeks.
  • Reply 177 of 198
    im at day 5 of 14 guysss

i need to know when the update will be!
  • Reply 178 of 198
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slapworth View Post

I was discussing getting a MBP with a friend and Mac user today. (And gritting my teeth waiting for this very announcement to happen, because I wants me some multi-touch trackpad action.)

He wondered if the old multi-touch trackpads might be limited, compared to the new ones.

Specifically, that while it knows that more than one finger is touching the pad, maybe the old pad can't calculate the specific positions of each finger. Instead, it just gets a general, averaged pointer position (like on other pads), plus a "finger count."

I'd love it if complex multi-touch gestures were just a friendly software update away, but if they aren't, this might explain why.

Hmm...the capacitance type trackpads should be able to sense multiple fingers and their locations with the same accuracy...how the logic board sends that data back might be limited and that's not a firmware or software fix.

I dunno that I would be very concerned that Apple would shut out older laptops if the trackpad could work. Its just one of those things that you'd want to add to the OS to further differentiate it from Vista and the more platforms that could take advantage of gestures the better.
  • Reply 179 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb3886 View Post

im at day 5 of 14 guysss

i need to know when the update will be!

Since none of us know, good luck!
  • Reply 180 of 198
    If you look at history MBP came out Oct '06 and the next release was April '07 then Nov '07. I'd bet on March or April '08, just about the time to be getting Prez George's $600 help the economy check. Shame it couldn't be enough to pay an entire 17" LED display multi-touch pad 2.7 GHz w/8GB RAM MBP