Apple: iPod touch is now a "mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform"

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I live in New York with an iPhone. There are thousands of iPhone owners in New York.

AT&T may not be the best but the story often gets exaggerated beyond what it really is.

My call reception in New York with my iPhone has been fine. I haven't heard of any serious problems from others with iPhones.

It's not a serious problem but it is an aggravation. Many a call are garbled. And calls get dropped. Most iPhone owners blame AT&T but some say it's the phone part of the iPhone itself. I'm not making this up. Good for you if you don't have this problem but exist it does.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

(If only I could stream live television... I suppose that's coming soon...)

AT&T just announced it.....not that that will help the Touch......
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mukei View Post

LOOOOOOOL

Yeah they sell a lot in JAPAN...

Where the iPhone is NOT available...

What will it be when the iPhone will be avalaible I don't know... Who will get it ? Docomo ? Softbank or AU...

Anyway... no 3G, no Japan ^_^

NTT DoCoMo or Softbank because they use the same 2100 MHz UMTS 3G technology as Apple's European GSM partners. Au/KDDI uses EV-DO.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it a true comparison, or aren't you leaving something out here?

I pay $39/mo for my Sprint service, but I'm not paying for any internet service either. Does your TMobile plan include unlimited internet? The iPhone plan does.

Yes it does. As long as it's not wifi.

(And quite honestly if it's not wifi I'm not interested in either my current phone or the iPhone. Too slow to browse the net on a cell network. I just use my cell for radar reports since I ride a motorcycle. Rarely do I check email or browse cause I have no patience for the slow connection.. Have you seen how slow the Edge network is?)

The Touch is a much better buy.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I live in New York with an iPhone. There are thousands of iPhone owners in New York.

AT&T may not be the best but the story often gets exaggerated beyond what it really is.

My call reception in New York with my iPhone has been fine. I haven't heard of any serious problems from others with iPhones.

People should be aware that no carrier is perfect everywhere. You should pick your service provider according to who has the least dead spots where you live. TMobile has been perfect for me in South Florida but that does not mean it would be perfect for someone in Charlotte, NC . A friend of mine had to quit Tmobile when she moved there since it was roaming. She was pretty ticked off cause she loves Tmobile as well.

AT&T pricing still sucks though. They are a ripoff. When they were Cingular the customer service was a nightmare too down here. Hope it's better now that AT&T bought them out.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

People should be aware that no carrier is perfect everywhere. You should pick your service provider according to who has the least dead spots where you live. TMobile has been perfect for me in South Florida but that does not mean it would be perfect for someone in Charlotte, NC . A friend of mine had to quit Tmobile when she moved there since it was roaming. She was pretty ticked off cause she loves Tmobile as well.

She might want to check out T-Mobile again... they recently bought Suncom, a regional wireless carrier who covers North Carolina pretty well (as well as South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee).

So she may get good service though T-Mobile there now.

Quote:

AT&T pricing still sucks though. They are a ripoff. When they were Cingular the customer service was a nightmare too down here. Hope it's better now that AT&T bought them out.

According to the national customer care surveys, ATT's customer service has gotten marginally better... now its up to 'average', last I checked. Still not great though...

• Reply 47 of 54
    [QUOTE=4metta;AT&T pricing still sucks though. They are a ripoff. When they were Cingular the customer service was a nightmare too down here. Hope it's better now that AT&T bought them out.[/QUOTE]

at&t didn't buy anybody out. While the facts about the AT&T Wireless, Cingular, SBC, AT&T, SoiuthwesternBell, et all evolution may not matter to your opinion of service provided by any of the (insufferably countless) versions, incorrectly referring to a purchase that never happened may confuse others and minimize the value of your opinion.

And I'd sure hate to see that, since at&t is indeed a poorly run company making decisions that rarely begin with question of "What's in the best interest of our customers?".
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Does this mean that Apple is considering dropping the rumoured tablet mac, and going for the iPod Touch instead?
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkPikachu View Post

Does this mean that Apple is considering dropping the rumoured tablet mac, and going for the iPod Touch instead?

In my personal version of the crystal ball (ie: my best guess!), considering the iPod touch a "platform" means we'll see other version of it. So yeah, perhaps a larger iPod Touch instead of a small tablet Mac.

Then again, perhaps we'll see both... eg: a 7-inch iPod Touch and an 11-inch Mac Touch?
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

at&t didn't buy anybody out. While the facts about the AT&T Wireless, Cingular, SBC, AT&T, SoiuthwesternBell, et all evolution may not matter to your opinion of service provided by any of the (insufferably countless) versions, incorrectly referring to a purchase that never happened may confuse others and minimize the value of your opinion.

And I'd sure hate to see that, since at&t is indeed a poorly run company making decisions that rarely begin with question of "What's in the best interest of our customers?".

So what exactly happened that made Cingular become known as AT&T? As far as I know they now have the same cell towers and coverage as Cingular had. At least that's what happened in South Florida. The people who had Cingular contracts gained AT&T contracts without doing anything.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:

So what exactly happened that made Cingular become known as AT&T? As far as I know they now have the same cell towers and coverage as Cingular had. At least that's what happened in South Florida. The people who had Cingular contracts gained AT&T contracts without doing anything.

Just reading wikipedia....

AT&T owned a mobile company called "AT&T Wireless Services", which was a small player.

SBC & BellSouth jointly owned a wireless/mobile company called Cingular.

2004: "AT&T Wireless" merged with Cingular and was still called "Cingular" (now jointly owned by AT&T, SBC, & BellSouth)

2005: SBC bought AT&T

2006: AT&T bought BellSouth.

2007: Cingular was renamed AT&T Mobility.

So basically Cingular has stayed pretty much the same company.... they absorbed the small AT&T Wireless in 2004, the owners bought each other, and cingular renamed themselves in 2007.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Just reading wikipedia....

AT&T owned a mobile company called "AT&T Wireless Services", which was a small player.

SBC & BellSouth jointly owned a wireless/mobile company called Cingular.

2004: "AT&T Wireless" merged with Cingular and was still called "Cingular" (now jointly owned by AT&T, SBC, & BellSouth)

2005: SBC bought AT&T

2006: AT&T bought BellSouth.

2007: Cingular was renamed AT&T Mobility.

So basically Cingular has stayed pretty much the same company.... they absorbed the small AT&T Wireless in 2004, the owners bought each other, and cingular renamed themselves in 2007.

I haven't read the Wiki article, but there are a couple of things not quite right in this summary. AT&T Wireless was not a small player in wireless. While they were no longer the biggest company when Cingular acquired them (not really a merger, Cingular bought them once they reached a point where cash would run out within 12 months), as they once were, they were a national player with 20+ million customers.

Without detailing info most couldn't care less about, I can summarize by sharing that the only reason you see the at&t name any longer is because it remains one of the most recognized brands in the world. So even though the company fell apart and was acquired by SBC, they broke tradition and kept the name of the acquired company, hoping to leverage it into more business. And it has probably worked, to some degree.

Anyway, none of that matters so much, but just thought I'd share a little. And since everyone throws their 2-cents into the "Who's better at wireless?" debate, I'll share that my choice is T-Mobile, after having used 6 different companies at one time or another. None of them are perfect, so anecdotal debate over coverage, prices, customer service or devices is worthless. But they just seem to try the hardest to be what their customers want, instead of asking their customers to accept whatever they decide is best. Sure wish Jobs had convinced Dotson instead of Sigman that the iPhone would be a game-changer, though. Apple's customers fit TMO demo FAR better than VZ or at&t.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:

Cingular bought AT&T Wireless. Then SBC, co-owner of Cingular, bought AT&T (the old, original that no longer had a wireless carrier since they had divested AWS into it's own company several years before). They decided to keep the AT&T name as the combined company's new name (rare). They then bought out Bell South, who they had co-owned Cingular with. And as a result, the whole thing is called at&t. So it only seems to you like AT&T is the buyer, since that is the name you see. South Florida has nothing to do with it, as the change was the same for every customer, everywhere.

While the myriad of changes is confusing, the root company who "won" in all this is SBC. They just liked the old, more established name best.

Clear as mud?
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Thanks for the info guys.