Thats IT! I want to know Apple's plans concerning WiMAX

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
..........and I want to know NOW!!!

Does anyone care to speculate? Or perhaps you can interpret the latest industry news concerning the various hardware/network providers to try to guestimate what kind of moves Steve Jobs is planning to make. Sprint was trying to do something with their "Xohm" product but with Sprint's recent mucho layoffs I can't say they are in a position to do anything.

I mean, I'm looking at how Apple is now calling the Ipod Touch their "mobile platform" now instead of an ipod and you have to wonder whats really going on.

And then there is the iphone and no 3G.

Well, does that mean that they wanted to wait till WiMAX had gotten a chance to take a foothold so they wouldn't have to bother with 3G?? They could just as easily come out with interim products that have 3G and when WiMAX networks finally are up and running then they could simply switch their newest gen products to support WiMAX. Apple makes everyone want to buy the latest gen products anyway.

How would the ongoing 700mhz auction fits into all of this??

ARGH!! I need more information and no where on the internet seems to have a decent discussion on the matter. Perhaps Appleinsider can start one with this thread. Or are you guys going to let macrumors beat you to the punch.........again?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    WiMax is not really a good solution for dense urban areas. It's more suited to wide open spaces with clear line of sight between stations.

I am very curious if there is any potential for WiMax and the 700Mhz spectrum integration. I hope Clearwire gets involved somehow... their stock is in the dumpster.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    what is WiMax?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Does anyone care to speculate?

Do you want to know the truth? Or do you want speculation?

Anyway, you CAN'T handle the truth.

Quote:

thebeatt what is WiMax?

Yeah, I am wondering too...

• Reply 4 of 28
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Reading the title, I thought he actually wanted to know what Apple's plans were, but it sounds like he wants speculation.

As for the iPod Touch. Yes, I'd have to agree with Steve that the future of the iPod Touch is to be a small PDA-like device. And the iPhone is the same thing, with the features of a phone added.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Does anyone care to speculate? Or perhaps you can interpret the latest industry news concerning the various hardware/network providers to try to guestimate what kind of moves Steve Jobs is planning to make. Sprint was trying to do something with their "Xohm" product but with Sprint's recent mucho layoffs I can't say they are in a position to do anything.

I mean, I'm looking at how Apple is now calling the Ipod Touch their "mobile platform" now instead of an ipod and you have to wonder whats really going on.

And then there is the iphone and no 3G.

Well, does that mean that they wanted to wait till WiMAX had gotten a chance to take a foothold so they wouldn't have to bother with 3G?? They could just as easily come out with interim products that have 3G and when WiMAX networks finally are up and running then they could simply switch their newest gen products to support WiMAX. Apple makes everyone want to buy the latest gen products anyway.

How would the ongoing 700mhz auction fits into all of this??

ARGH!! I need more information and no where on the internet seems to have a decent discussion on the matter. Perhaps Appleinsider can start one with this thread. Or are you guys going to let macrumors beat you to the punch.........again?

Spam and I are pretty familar with WiMax.

Apple have no announced plans for Wimax and I wouldn't hold your breath. Clearwire and Sprint own all the Wimax spectrum in the US. They are not partners with Apple at the moment and I doubt they will be. Apple seem pretty chummy with ATT for now.

Personally I think Wimax's future is pretty cloudy. The technolgy looks ok but without a major telco to promote it, I think it'll fizzle out over time. Verizon and ATT have more promising 4g technology planned for the future although it'll be out after WiMax.

If you want WiMax on a laptop you'll probably be able to get a card later this year from Sprint. That's what I may do.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

WiMax is not really a good solution for dense urban areas. It's more suited to wide open spaces with clear line of sight between stations.

I am very curious if there is any potential for WiMax and the 700Mhz spectrum integration. I hope Clearwire gets involved somehow... their stock is in the dumpster.

When people talk about WiMAX I think a lot of those people are thinking or hoping it is the mobile broadband network always on savior of a service that would free us from the shackles of the traditional cell phone network model.

So it doesn't have to be WiMAX per se. As long as its "4G". Thats what they are calling whatever mobile broadband tech comes after 3G. Like the 700mhz thing.

Why is all of this concerning me? Because I really really want a super sized ipod touch/mactouch like device that I can use to browse the internet while I'm taking the express bus to work in Manhattan and back.

All without having to pay ridiculous amounts of money every month!

To complicate matters I want this device now not later. So I might be willing to pay for a monthly 3G service if its just for data only and if its a special deal given only to Apple mactuoch (or whatever its called) or just an apple device owner from whatever service company Apple goes with (AT&T ?).

I guess I could live with that at least for now until this 4G,WiMAX,WiMAX successor,nationwide 700mhz network comes into being.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Reading the title, I thought he actually wanted to know what Apple's plans were, but it sounds like he wants speculation.

As for the iPod Touch. Yes, I'd have to agree with Steve that the future of the iPod Touch is to be a small PDA-like device. And the iPhone is the same thing, with the features of a phone added.

NO NO I DO WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH!!! But I'm guessing that nobody really knows for sure.

Thats why I'm willing to settle for intelligent speculation. It will comfort me til apple finally lets us know what is going on.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

what is WiMax?

Try to imagine sitting in the local starbucks mooching off the local wi-fi. Now imagine if that starbucks was the size of the entire city!! Thats WiMAX. Its city-wide wi-fi. A lot of initiatives over the last year (a bit more?) were for some cities to get municipal city wi-fi as a free service. But a lot of that didn't happen probably because of corporate greed. I think (hope) that is what the near future is going to be. And I guess wouldn't mind paying for it if the cost was reasonable. Perhaps a state or city tax for the service should be the way to go?

Bottomline is I just want it now. But as far as this thread is concerned what is Apple's take on the matter and how does this effect their product plans for the immediate future?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Spam and I are pretty familar with WiMax.

Apple have no announced plans for Wimax and I wouldn't hold your breath. Clearwire and Sprint own all the Wimax spectrum in the US. They are not partners with Apple at the moment and I doubt they will be. Apple seem pretty chummy with ATT for now.

Personally I think Wimax's future is pretty cloudy. The technolgy looks ok but without a major telco to promote it, I think it'll fizzle out over time. Verizon and ATT have more promising 4g technology planned for the future although it'll be out after WiMax.

If you want WiMax on a laptop you'll probably be able to get a card later this year from Sprint. That's what I may do.

Gawd you people post faster than I can catch up. From what your saying then Apple will most likely have to update their devices with 3G for the meantime til we all get whatever 4G turns out to be? I mean the pressure on apple to come out with 3G enabled devices must be tremendous.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

So it doesn't have to be WiMAX per se. As long as its "4G".

Because I really really want a super sized ipod touch/mactouch like device that I can use

To complicate matters I want this device now not later.

Quote:

NO NO I DO WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH!!!

Quote:

Bottomline is I just want it now.

I mean the pressure on apple to come out with 3G enabled devices must be tremendous.

Is this guy for real?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Is this guy for real?

I'm afraid so.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Every time I read one of this guy's posts I feel like I'm having my skull beaten in with a brick.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I want to see Apple use that data center they picked up a few years back to set up their own nationwide full-coverage wired/wireless network and provide ISP, VOIP & VOD services for one low(ish, don't forget the Apple Tax…) monthly fee… I'm thinking fiber optic & whatever the best nex-gen wireless option is for connectivity…

At home, you have fiber optic blasting all services to your Apple set-top box, aka Apple Home Server, aka AppleTV Take 3… The built-in iSight on your 42" Apple HDTV flat-panel monitor will allow video iChats with friends, while you surf the web wirelessly from the couch using the Apple Mac touch tablet… Either from the house or out and about the town, you can make VOIP calls, replacing both cell & landlines… Distributed along the fiber optic runs are Apple maintained wireless access points, creating a mesh network that covers the city…

Hey, it could happen…!

;^p
  • Reply 13 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Silence your dirty minds what I was talking about was a phone that supports both 3G and WiMax. With the right chip set and Software Defined Radio techniques this should be possible in the near future. This would allow the Tablets to be configured for the users favored Wide area networking technology.

Yep I'd be the first to admit that that would be pushing the state of the art. Frankly it is something Apple needs to do at the high end. Especially now that their stock is in the dumpster and is likely to continue slipping.

What one needs to imagine here is the idea of loading a driver into the "RADIO" that defines how it behaves. You need WiMax on Clearwire then you simply enable the right mode (driver) and the communications processor takes care of the rest.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Try to imagine sitting in the local starbucks mooching off the local wi-fi. Now imagine if that starbucks was the size of the entire city!! Thats WiMAX. Its city-wide wi-fi. A lot of initiatives over the last year (a bit more?) were for some cities to get municipal city wi-fi as a free service.

holy shit, that does sound amazing. So like, if WiMax was here, since I am from Canada, and I end up traveling to a state like California, and I'm in the car, I'll be connected? OH SHIT THIS IS LIKE 3G ON CELL PHONES WHERE PEOPLE CAN SURF THE NET. Now I see where your going..........wowowowowow
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Silence your dirty minds what I was talking about was a phone that supports both 3G and WiMax. With the right chip set and Software Defined Radio techniques...

Dave

...and a much better battery...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

He just wants attention, hence the inclusion of the BOLD TEXT WITH EXCLAMATIONS!!!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

He just wants attention, hence the inclusion of the BOLD TEXT WITH EXCLAMATIONS!!!

Ahh but see I only choose specific words when I use the bold text and exclamations. I am trying to get attention but only to a specific issue that might interest some to think a little. Perhaps it might seem like I am trying to beat your skull in with a brick. But no, no it is more like I'm hitting the reader with a precisely aimed stone from a sling shot. Yeah, that is the better analogy.

My mind can see the edge of where the tech frontier is or at least where it should be going. And Its part of the reason why I am both attracted to Apple's tech and at the same time why I am annoyed by it.

Apple seems to come out with on a regular basis some dream product that takes advantage of the shortsightedness of the dullard tech industry as a whole. While at the same time they always seem to pull back slightly on the innovations with some inanely designed "feature" or lack thereof that just drives me up the freakin wall!

For instance, look at the macbook air. Great product but with one too many corners cut imo.

Also, I'm still trying to come to terms with my frustration of the slightly less than exciting macworld and Apple's plan to debut new products throughout the year. I'm impatient.

All of this would explain why my posts are written like I've drank too many cups of coffee. \
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Olternaut has been busy posting these "dramatic" posts in CAPS ever since he became famous making the "Leave Brittney Spears Alone" video....
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

Olternaut has been busy posting these "dramatic" posts....

• Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Is this guy for real?

It's sad I know, but yes, he is for real.