Apple seen introducing cheaper, more innovative Wi-Fi iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I've liked the idea of iPod as generalized debit card tho' ever since that became the obvious goal with the Starbucks announcement last year. But I don't think that will be widely available until there' some sort of agreed-upon protocol. IP$ ?

All they would need is an RFID similar to what Visa/Mastercard have in their touch cards now. In fact, I could see enterprising banks giving away iPods in place of debit cards for their high end customers. Have your mortgage, checking, savings, credit card, IRA with us and we'll give you a debit iPod.

Now intuit just needs to make a quicken worth using on the Mac and pocket quicken for the iPod that automatically reads the transactions from your embedded RFID visa chip and we are golden.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Seen where exactly?

Someone's imagination doesnt count, no matter HOW well informed they are

AI does abuse words a bit too often. It might be a shortening of "forseen".
  • Reply 23 of 41
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Don't think of the Starbucks example in the context of a suburban car-based commuter, but of a big-city mass transit commuter, e.g. New York. Riding the subway you place your order just before reaching your stop, walk out of the station, into the Starbucks next to the entrance to your building, pick it up, and on your way.

So there's no line purchase but line around the block waiting to pick up.

They aren't just gonna hand over a cup to everyone who walks up. Gonna have to check ID or something.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    They've just GOT to come up with a better real world example to entice people than the Starbucks coffee order, although I'd rate it marginally better than the MS 'phone home to your refrigerator to see if you need milk' trollop that they've been doling out for the last 10 years ... has anyone ever gotten excited about that one?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

And how exactly do you just "pick it up without ever standing in line..."?

How do you know you're picking up the right drink? By prying off the lids and trying to figure out what's underneath all that foam? Will no one question you if you just walk in and pick up a drink from the bar and walk right back out?

Step smartly up to the counter while brandishing your iPhone in a confident manner, grab a drink and walk off.

I am so trying this!

Coffee ninja'ing.

• Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They aren't just gonna hand over a cup to everyone who walks up. Gonna have to check ID or something.

That's what I was thinking when I posted my comment above. They make it all sound so quick and simple, like those Visa check card commercials. But in reality, there is going to be some kind of interaction with an employee, even if it is to check an "online" (iPod) receipt. You may not have to wait in some long line to place your order, then wait for it to be made, but it also won't be walk in, grab your order, walk out.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

That still has to be quicker than a line of people hemming and hawing about what they want, speed up multiple item or specialty orders, and trying to dig out exact change from their pocket.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    The US and the "old" EU members are behind in paying technology.

For example in the Baltic states they don't "plant" parking meters anymore.

You pay with your mobile.

The interface of an iphone or Ipod touch will give much more possibilities to make "small" payments.

Starbucks is just the tip of the iceberg.

The Iphone or Ipod touch with that kind of technology could become the new visa card

Let's see what sdk brings , but I guess on some really creative apps and then the stock will get a kick again... :-)
  • Reply 29 of 41
    The new WiFi applications are potential killers!!!

I love the Starbucks idea (as long as it has the Vaporware UI) and it would be great to have a wealth of merchandise and digital content appear everytime i'm at a gig or at the movies!

Walk into the cinema... Pay for my Drinks and Popcorn through iTunes if I want to (my ticket and seating arrangements were already completed iPod stylee before I arrived). My iPod presents upcoming movie trailers/news that may be of interest. There are so many scary possibilities it's unreal!

You could use the preferences to select when and how these kinds of features work for you.

• Reply 30 of 41
    How about rather than ordering on the way to the shop you walk into a restaurant, take a seat, whip out your iPhone/iPod Touch and get the menu with today's specials. You place your order via your handheld and the only time you need a human is when they carry your food or drink to the table. Oh, and you pay your bill at the end via your handheld.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With market data clearly showing a deceleration in growth of the standalone MP3 player market, Apple Inc. will reportedly strive to maintain growth in its iPod business by introducing a range of cheaper, more innovative models that incorporate touch-screens and multi-touch technology.

Right prediction. Wrong reason. The game is much, much bigger than that...

I think the iPod Touch and the iPhone represent a whole new category of device: the information appliance as pocket computing. The Touch is a LAN device that happens to be able to play music. The iPhone is a WAN device that happens to be able to make calls.

Maybe it's hard to see that right now, because these devices are dressed up to fit into existing categories. But these categories are not where the value lies for Apple or for its customers. For millions of people, a Touch-like device could potentially serve as their primary - perhaps even their only - computer.

It's an idea whose time has come. Apple has plenty of product development work to do (and wireless network technologies have to strengthen) but we can see the road ahead. If Apple can manage the marketing of a new category of device (and no-one would doubt it has the capability) then it could win this segment before its competitors have even touched the ball.

If Apple releases an XL size Touch in the next 12 months, we'll know it's thinking along these lines.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    With Apple stocks falling Steve Jobs better do more than just Wi-Fi for iPods.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

Paxman that was great

$250 shares? They're at $130 now, what is he thinking?

According to my past Post-It® Notes stuck on my iMac at my desk at home, this is what they might be thinking, - past AAPL stock price experience, like when they had "record profits" and the stock was up 12 bucks to $186.16 on October 23, 2007.

The stock continued upward to 192.68 on Nov. 7. 2007.

On Nov.12, 2007 when the market had a corrections AAPL was at $153.76. That's what, a 38.92 drop in five days. It took a month to rebound back to where it was.

Politicians who want to get elected, will continue to bad mouth the economy and will only compound other down-turn economic forces, so it may take longer than a month to recoup but hopefully, as a stockholder, it will recoup to at least near 200.00 again, 250 would just be gravy on top.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    One of the many solutions available: When you place the order you have a 4-number pin in your order list. Starbucks write your name on the top of the coffee. When you walk in, the wi-fi detects that it's "you", and highlights your name on a display (along with the pin). You tell them the number, or show, have your coffee handed over and walk out.

- Order (Get number)

- Walk in

- Say number

- Receive coffee

Anything along these lines of using the wi-fi to see who you are would make it quick and easy.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Most wi-fi networks I run across in NYC and LI are locked.

Yes most are. But you can find free hotspots around most public parks, all city libraries, Whole Foods, Cafe's, McDonalds.

Here is a list of 118 free hotpots around New York.

Its a shame ATT doesn't allow us free access to its WiFi.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

It is even worse that they do not include their WiFi hotspots as part of their cellular data plan subscriptions.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes most are. But you can find free hotspots around most public parks, all city libraries, Whole Foods, Cafe's, McDonalds.

Here is a list of 118 free hotpots around New York.

NYC is about 8.9 billion square feet of land area. Even being generous at saying that an AP covers 10,000 sq fft, that's only 1.1 million sq ft, it looks like 0.01% coverage.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

NYC is about 8.9 billion square feet of land area. Even being generous at saying that an AP covers 10,000 sq fft, that's only 1.1 million sq ft, it looks like 0.01% coverage.

Yes but most of the coverage is in areas where the largest number of people will socialize, shop, eat, or relax.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hawks5999 View Post

All they would need is an RFID similar to what Visa/Mastercard have in their touch cards now. In fact, I could see enterprising banks giving away iPods in place of debit cards for their high end customers. Have your mortgage, checking, savings, credit card, IRA with us and we'll give you a debit iPod.

Now intuit just needs to make a quicken worth using on the Mac and pocket quicken for the iPod that automatically reads the transactions from your embedded RFID visa chip and we are golden.

About the quicken thing, check out www.buxfer.com. It is a GREAT webbased quicken alternative that I just discovered today. and it has an AWESOME (although still incomplete) iphone/ipod touch interface. I'm addicted to it. And it can synchronize to other banks.

On topic, I just got the iphone a few days ago ( after reading every article since it's introduction- i'm obsessed), and I love it, and can't wait for more integration.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    mh71mh71 Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

And how exactly do you just "pick it up without ever standing in line..."?

How do you know you're picking up the right drink? By prying off the lids and trying to figure out what's underneath all that foam? Will no one question you if you just walk in and pick up a drink from the bar and walk right back out?

I don't like the example of Starbucks. I think the movie tickets and popcorn idea is much better, or even chinese carry-out.

But....

Starbucks knows their regulars pretty well (as do most coffee shops). So you order your coffee via the interface. There should be a "usual" button. The order is transmitted to Starbucks and ends up in their order queue like anything else. The coffee dude sees the tall latte for JupiterOne and knows exactly how you like(just the same as the last 800 times you visited Starbucks). You walk in, the guy says "Hi, JupiterOne, here's your latte on the bar." Off you go.