Apple delays Apple TV "Take 2" software by a week or two

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have an AppleTV , HDMI, and 42' plasma and the image looks like crap- unless you Handbrake a DVD, which looks acceptable or view photos. Evrything sold on iTunes looks barely better than VHS. looks fine on an iPod but not on a large HDTV.

And the HD that Steve talked about is pure BS. Read this:

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...=6497&Itemid=5

More FUD from the peanut gallery!

Recompressing MPEG2 DVDs to MPEG4 do not look better than the 640x480 @ 1.5Mbps video encoding with MPEG4 PART10 video that Apple sells. iTS video is close to DVD resolution and the differences between codec algorithms becomes apparent when re-encoding. Apple does encode from DVDs!

Besides your false comment that converted DVDs look good but nothing else does, the AppleTV will do 720p @ 24fps. This has nothing to do with the content. This is the physical capabilities of the hardware.

And then you say that VHS and iTS content is comparable. VHS uses a horizontal resolution of 240 lines and S-VHS (which you failed to even mention) has a horizontal resolution of 420 lines. Both well below anything at the iTS. I'm surprised to pull out the "YouTube video is better quality" blather.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    Quote:

Only Steve Jobs could sell you an empty box with its only intention is to $ell Itunes content only. It should be re-called the iTunesJukeBox.

We wanted an update that increased funtionality on the device but instead only got more options to buy from iTune$.

Apple, not the movie studios, has botched this product.

Not just Steve. The phonogrpah, turntable, 8-track, cassette, VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray players are a few examples of devices that required you purchase media separately.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I have an AppleTV , HDMI, and 42' plasma and the image looks like crap- unless you Handbrake a DVD, which looks acceptable or view photos. Evrything sold on iTunes looks barely better than VHS. looks fine on an iPod but not on a large HDTV.

And the HD that Steve talked about is pure BS. Read this:

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...=6497&Itemid=5

A 42' plasma! How ever much did that cost?

Gave the article a very quick scan and it looks like it makes some good points. However, the accuracy of the article is brought into question by the fact that the table of media/codecs/bitrate doesn't state that HD-DVD and Blu-ray both use H.264, MPEG-2 or H.264, and doesn't state that the bitrates quoted are theoretical maximums rather than typical bitrates you'll actually see with most discs.

As I said before, you only really need those maximum bitrates for 1080p encoded with MPEG-2. High-Profile H.264 is much more efficient.

Finally, where did they get the iTunes store HD bitrate from? No one knows what the bitrate will be until the AppleTV 2 comes out. Even then, it might be a bit tricky to work out (will AppleTV 2 even tell you what the bitrate is?).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And then you say that VHS and iTS content is comparable. VHS uses a horizontal resolution of 240 lines and S-VHS (which you failed to even mention) has a horizontal resolution of 420 lines. Both well below anything at the iTS.

Number of lines is a measure of vertical resolution, not horizontal (the lines are stacked on top of each other).

The "SD" videos from iTunes have a maximum width of 640 pixels. When first launched, iTunes content in 16:9 had a height of 360 pixels and is therefore lower resolution than S-VHS.

However, I've seen some things here and there which seem to suggest that some more recent stuff is anamorphically coded so widescreen content can make full use of the 480 pixel height that 4:3 content enjoys.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Not just Steve. The phonogrpah, turntable, 8-track, cassette, VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray players are a few examples of devices that required you purchase media separately.

Listen Peanut Vendor-At least the cassette and VHS allowed you to record media. You can't even do that with an AppleTV!! Technology should move forward not backwards.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Finally, where did they get the iTunes store HD bitrate from? No one knows what the bitrate will be until the AppleTV 2 comes out. Even then, it might be a bit tricky to work out (will AppleTV 2 even tell you what the bitrate is?).

I suspect that someone will have to put their APpleTV HDD with rented HD media onto another machine and attempt to determine the bitrate that way.

Quote:

The "SD" videos from iTunes have a maximum width of 640 pixels. When first launched, iTunes content in 16:9 had a height of 360 pixels and is therefore lower resolution than S-VHS.

But we aren't talking about what iTS started at. That was truly bad resolution and I'm not sure why they thought was ever going to fly. As I've stated before, the current content looks as good as DVD on via my AppleTV via HDMi to a 37" LG LCD HDTV that is about 10' away from the viewer. I'm not sure if the AppleTV up-converts or that I have poor vision or if these negative comments are just pointless prattle from those who haven't used an AppleTV.

Quote:

However, I've seen some things here and there which seem to suggest that some more recent stuff is anamorphically coded so widescreen content can make full use of the 480 pixel height that 4:3 content enjoys.

The highest SD iTS video I've come across is the movie 300 (2007) at 853x405 @ 1.67Mbps.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

Listen Peanut Vendor-At least the cassette and VHS allowed you to record media. You can't even do that with an AppleTV!! Technology should move forward not backwards.

So then don't buy it and and leave those who like it to enjoy it.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:

I certainly do like peanuts and have much respect for George Washington Carver, but I've never had an opportunity to be a purveyor of this popular legume.

You can play recorded media on the AppleTV and there is no requirement ot purchase or rent from iTS. It's the great thing about the digital age; Something that previous technologies couldn't do. But that is neither here nor there. There are plenty of other media extenders out there, especially since CES 2008, for you to choose from if the AppleTV doesn't fit your particular needs.

PS: I love how the same people that say Apple products are too distended are also the ones to say that they should be more convoluted by adding something that will appeal to the very few.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Has Apple spread it's software teams too thin? Delays in Leopard, an Iphone that lacks some basic software features, Apple Tv update that does nothing that adds rentals delayed by another week or two? I bought a movie today in Chicago due to the weather on myy tivo it has taken close to 4 hours to download and I can't watch it till it's finshed downloading.

Apple Tv update needs safari support, bluetooth keyboard support, Internet radio would be nice also, how about when my iphone rings it displays the name of the caller on the screen ? iphone as a remote? How about in this leopard update when I pop in a dvd it asks if I want to rip it to itunes auto and then installs it on my apple tv.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neuby View Post

Has Apple spread it's software teams too thin? Delays in Leopard, an Iphone that lacks some basic software features, Apple Tv update that does nothing that adds rentals delayed by another week or two? I bought a movie today in Chicago due to the weather on myy tivo it has taken close to 4 hours to download and I can't watch it till it's finshed downloading.

Apple Tv update needs safari support, bluetooth keyboard support, Internet radio would be nice also, how about when my iphone rings it displays the name of the caller on the screen ? iphone as a remote? How about in this leopard update when I pop in a dvd it asks if I want to rip it to itunes auto and then installs it on my apple tv.

It does seem Apple may be spreading themselves a little thin, ut no more than the past and surely their delays are a lot shorter than other software developers.

My iTS downloads come down at 2MBps (16Mbps). If you want your AppleTV to be a computer then buy a Mac Mini.

I see no reason why my iPhone ringing should interrupt a program other people are watching by plastering the call on the TV.

Just because Handbrake illegally rips DVDs means that Apple should follow suit?
  • Reply 70 of 90
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The Take 2 update *adds* rentals to all the other features it already has. I am suggesting they take out all the previous features (which were unsuccessful anyway) and only have movie rentals.

That way the movie rental screen can be the first thing it shows when it boots up and the last thing when it shuts down which is the least confusing GUI, and makes it clear what you're buying, In it's current form it is too amorphous and unsure of itself.

What a god awful idea. I do not care about movies. I may rent one of two a year or even for the whole life of the product. I do not want to be limited to only renting movies. In my mind the whole purpose of the AppleTV is to get content off of my computer and onto my TV. Renting movies is a nice add on.

Quote:

I have an AppleTV , HDMI, and 42' plasma and the image looks like crap- unless you Handbrake a DVD, which looks acceptable or view photos. Evrything sold on iTunes looks barely better than VHS. looks fine on an iPod but not on a large HDTV. [/url]

And have you looked at anything besides what Apple sells on the ITS for the iPods? Go download some video podcasts. Sure, there that were encoded for the iPods that do not look very good on the AppleTV. But there are many more that have been encoded for the AppleTV at higher levels, including high definition, and look very nice on my HD TV. (These will not load on to the iPods.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neuby View Post

Maybe, and maybe not. I suspect that Apple has rewritten the AppleTV from the ground up. So alot more that 'tacking on' a new software module is involved. (As if that wouldn't have its own troubles.) I think that Take-2 and 10.5.2 are interrelated. So if Apple is having problems with 10.5.2, and Take-2 needs 10.5.2 we will not get Take-2 until 10.5.2 is ready to for the public. -- From the "no know issues" being reported with the seeds I think that the 10.5.2 delay may be related to merging the AppleTV and Time Capsule support into 10.5.2. Em, maybe they still have not gotten Time Machine over WiFi to work and time Capsule is in jeopardy.

Quote:

And Hollywood is doing its damnedest to keep recording and HD well apart. Someone else can chime in with the initials but Hollywood has gotten protocols in place to completely lock out all recording devices except for those they approve and control. In other word, if (and its a big if) you can record a HD signal it will only be on those devices where Hollywood can control the distribution (not) and how it is played back. We will not get the flexibility we did with VHS. -- My biggest complaint here is that Hollywood assumes that they will be the only ones creating content and can control how I copy and distribute content that I create.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    With Take 2:

I just hope they fix the syncing issues I get. I have two Apple Airports in WDS, one is next to the Apple TV, I get 5 bars constant, so no signal issues. Even with my laptop next to it, I have zero network problems, i can download huge files super fast.

However, anytime I buy something from iTunes, it takes DAYS to sync. Mind you, anything else I have is immediately synced, photos, videos, mp3s. Its just the purchased content that gets hung up, don't understand this one freakin' bit. Right now its foundering through 12 songs i bought on my iPhone and a TV show my wife wanted to watch 2 days ago, but can't cause the freaking thing won't sync it. It'll try for 20 minutes then disappear from iTunes until I restart iTunes again. Constant pain with bought content. wtheck.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

The highest SD iTS video I've come across is the movie 300 (2007) at 853x405 @ 1.67Mbps.

Disturbia is 853x480.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Disturbia is 853x480.

What is the bitrate?
  • Reply 74 of 90
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Kind of a bummer that the take-2 update wasn't out for Superbowl Sunday. I hosted a party with about a dozen people, some of whom were very curious about the aluminum device that sits on top of my pioneer dvd player. After the game was over, a few wanted me to show them how the whole thing worked. While they were impressed, it would have been very nice to be able to show them the new features that are supposed to have come with take-2.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    To the people saying that Netflix is a better deal. Well it is but if it's anything like LoveFilm (UK equivalent) You never know what they are doing to send you next? Is Netflix like that?

Seems to take ages for any of our priority 1 films to get though to us. So I would say that being able to watch a movie within mins of selecting it is a good trade off?
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadunne View Post

To the people saying that Netflix is a better deal. Well it is but if it's anything like LoveFilm (UK equivalent) You never know what they are doing to send you next? Is Netflix like that?

Seems to take ages for any of our priority 1 films to get though to us. So I would say that being able to watch a movie within mins of selecting it is a good trade off?

It's nothing like that. ou have a queue which you can reorder at anytime. Also, Netflix is quite good at letting you know when they've received your previous DVDs, when they haave readied yur new ones and when it is expected to arrive.

I pay for a 4 out at once, but I've still rented and purchased plenty from iTS. Netflix has the ability to be inexpensive and offers a much larger selection, but it doesn't have an option for instant gratification or any easy or legal way to load onto iDevices. Netflix does havea streaming option but it only works via WMP 11 and it extremely poor quality compared to iTS, so it is not an option for many people here.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

What is the bitrate?

• Reply 78 of 90
    Today makes 3 weeks; I guess they're going for the full four.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    If they'd put a Blu-ray player in the AppleTV, it would at last play true HD content. Even if it had a regular DVD player, "sync" would be instantaneous.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

If they'd put a Blu-ray player in the AppleTV, it would at last play true HD content. Even if it had a regular DVD player, "sync" would be instantaneous.

And it would cost more than a Mac Mini, so no one would buy it.