Apple delays Apple TV "Take 2" software by a week or two

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's nothing like that. ou have a queue which you can reorder at anytime. Also, Netflix is quite good at letting you know when they've received your previous DVDs, when they haave readied yur new ones and when it is expected to arrive.

I pay for a 4 out at once, but I've still rented and purchased plenty from iTS. Netflix has the ability to be inexpensive and offers a much larger selection, but it doesn't have an option for instant gratification or any easy or legal way to load onto iDevices. Netflix does havea streaming option but it only works via WMP 11 and it extremely poor quality compared to iTS, so it is not an option for many people here.

lovefilm works similarly. you browse their site and add lots of movies to your list. Lovefilm then sends you 1 or more disc from your list. But you have no control over which ones you get - you can mark 'high priority' items but ultimately lovefilm decide which you get. They recommend having at least 100 items in your list to make sure you get a quick turnaround.

Is netflix like that?
  • Reply 82 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post

Is netflix like that?

Nope, Netflix is in the order you choose. The only way it goes out of order is if the disc is not available at that time, which only really happens with high-def DVDs and new releases, but it lets you know what is delayed so you aren't ever surprised by what you get. They also send you an email when they receive your disc in the mail and when they send you another one. They have a good system.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Anyone want to bet we won't see an Apple TV update on or before Tuesday the 12th?
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Anyone want to bet we won't see an Apple TV update on or before Tuesday the 12th?

Is the 12th special?

Perhaps we should bet which update will happen first AppleTV Take 2 or 10.5.2.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is the 12th special?

Perhaps we should bet which update will happen first AppleTV Take 2 or 10.5.2.

The only thing special about the 12th is that it's 4 weeks from when Steve announced Apple TV, take two. Regarding 10.5.2, I kind of thought we'd have seen that come down the pipe yesterday or today.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

The only thing special about the 12th is that it's 4 weeks from when Steve announced Apple TV, take two. Regarding 10.5.2, I kind of thought we'd have seen that come down the pipe yesterday or today.

No, its a Tuesday. The day surprise releases occur.

I think that Take 2 was suppose to to come out last week on the 29th. But 10.5.2 wasn't ready and Apple slipped the Take 2 by two weeks. I believe that 10.5.2 and Take 2 will either be released on the same day, or that Take 2 will come out after 10.5.2 is released. And if 10.5.2 is not ready on Tuesday, Apple will put out another press release stating that Take 2 will be released in another two weeks or so. (How many others were surprised that Apple even mentioned the non-shipment of a product that did not have a formal ship date?)
  • Reply 87 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

No, its a Tuesday. The day surprise releases occur.

I think that Take 2 was suppose to to come out last week on the 29th. But 10.5.2 wasn't ready and Apple slipped the Take 2 by two weeks. I believe that 10.5.2 and Take 2 will either be released on the same day, or that Take 2 will come out after 10.5.2 is released. And if 10.5.2 is not ready on Tuesday, Apple will put out another press release stating that Take 2 will be released in another two weeks or so. (How many others were surprised that Apple even mentioned the non-shipment of a product that did not have a formal ship date?)

Why do you supposed Apple TV Take 2 relies on 10.5.2? The scheduling delays make sense, but I can't think of why one would require the other.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Why do you supposed Apple TV Take 2 relies on 10.5.2? The scheduling delays make sense, but I can't think of why one would require the other.

It's more a feeling on my part than anything else. Take 2 has so many changes and is so different from what we currently have that I can't help but think that there isn't a spill over into the operation system. One thing that has changed, but Apple is not releasing information on, is the networking between the the AppleTV and the other computers in your network. Currently the AppleTV connects to one computer at a time. If you want to stream off of a computer, you go to your AppleTV and change the source from the AppleTV to your computer. You can not pull from the computer while accessing the AppleTV library. But from the Keynote I get the impression that Take 2 will display all available sources, and their contents, at the same time. That may require low level network changes in the OS.

However, as I was writing this I got thinking about those using Panther, Tiger and Windows. Apple wont be forcing these people to change to Leopard just to use the AppleTV Take 2. But I still have this feeling that we will not be seeing Take 2 until we see 10.5.2. And I also see the release of Time Capsule being tied to 10.5.2.

-- I was going to start by mentioning movie rentals and changes to FairPlay, That is until I remembered that you can currently rent movies in 10.5.1, Tiger, Panther, XP and Vista. iTunes 7.6 provided all the necessary changes. Oh, well.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

It's more a feeling on my part than anything else. Take 2 has so many changes and is so different from what we currently have that I can't help but think that there isn't a spill over into the operation system. One thing that has changed, but Apple is not releasing information on, is the networking between the the AppleTV and the other computers in your network. Currently the AppleTV connects to one computer at a time. If you want to stream off of a computer, you go to your AppleTV and change the source from the AppleTV to your computer. You can not pull from the computer while accessing the AppleTV library. But from the Keynote I get the impression that Take 2 will display all available sources, and their contents, at the same time. That may require low level network changes in the OS.

However, as I was writing this I got thinking about those using Panther, Tiger and Windows. Apple wont be forcing these people to change to Leopard just to use the AppleTV Take 2. But I still have this feeling that we will not be seeing Take 2 until we see 10.5.2. And I also see the release of Time Capsule being tied to 10.5.2.

-- I was going to start by mentioning movie rentals and changes to FairPlay, That is until I remembered that you can currently rent movies in 10.5.1, Tiger, Panther, XP and Vista. iTunes 7.6 provided all the necessary changes. Oh, well.

I know of no technical reason why Take 2 would rely on 10.5.2. A new iTunes version would make more sense, but even then I don't see why it would need to be altered since it can see AppleTV. However, based on the unprecedented 5 developer releases with no known issues I see no reason to quash your notion.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    its been long enough. if its not released this week then apple really f*ed up here. they should not have even wasted time talkin about it at macworld.