MacBook Air unboxing: notes and high-quality photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    It looks like the black keys on the Air now have a slightly concave surface. I think this is a great design decision by Apple because it gives your fingertips just that little extra bit of sensory information about hand position when typing. The slimline keyboards on the Macbook and iMac are lovely to use but their entirely flat keys always felt a little quirky to my 12"-Powerbook-accustomed fingers.

I expect that apple will ship similar black keyboards with the iMac when it is next refreshed, if only to match the black bezel (which I believe was changed from white at the last minute). Or maybe it won't if steve is having difficulty saying sayoonara to the old white iMac design!

I initially thought the Air was a bit of a let down but I can see it has it's place. I think it's clearly designed to be the portable partner to an iMac rather than a standalone computer in it's own right. For that purpose i'm sure those who can afford it will find it a delightful addition to the Mac family.

Now Steve please hurry your merry worker elves to bring the iPhone to Australia. And when you do resist the evil clutches of Telstra.

Optus good. Telstra bad.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Is it wrong that I am getting wood looking at these photos?

Not wrong, just creepy.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How many goddamn photos of this overpriced laptop do we need to see?

Why does God need to 'damn' any photos of any overpriced laptop?

Can you not 'damn' the multitude of photos of this product yourself?

I know there is "Freedom of Speech" but some people may take 'offense' with the callous choice of verbiage in your post.

I am sure the English language has an abundance of adjectives for you to use to show your disdain.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    You all need to get to the gym if you can't lift a laptop the weighs 5 lbs!
  • Reply 25 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sure a 10lb Dellienware is making you studly.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Good one, Dunks! Well observed .. looks like the perfect unit for academia people to tote around the uni and take on the conference trail... leaving the desktop in the office.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Now Steve please hurry your merry worker elves to bring the iPhone to Australia. And when you do resist the evil clutches of Telstra.

Optus good. Telstra bad.

For Fiji that should read: Vodaphone bad, Vodaphone BAD!
  • Reply 27 of 46
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    makes me wonder what the next macbook pro will look like...

I wonder if there will be a generational lineage between the mba and the next mbp

both are aluminum. that keyboard looks great, much more legible than the current mbp - why not use it?

that screen, its very thin, nice curves, nice new hinge style, why not use that? Maybe all future metal macbooks will get similar treatment.

of course we'd expect the bottom case to be thicker, to have a optical drive, and to hold a 2.5" hdd but but why not smoother lines? a softer shape is nice.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

makes me wonder what the next macbook pro will look like...

I wonder if there will be a generational lineage between the mba and the next mbp

both are aluminum. that keyboard looks great, much more legible than the current mbp - why not use it?

that screen, its very thin, nice curves, nice new hinge style, why not use that? Maybe all future metal macbooks will get similar treatment.

of course we'd expect the bottom case to be thicker, to have a optical drive, and to hold a 2.5" hdd but but why not smoother lines? a softer shape is nice.

I saw a MBA at the Apple Store, I couldn't wait to get mine from FEDEX, so I took a trip to see one personally. Surprisingly, though it is thinner, it actually looked bigger than a Macbook. Next to the Macbook, I swear it looked a 14 or 15 inch. It was easy to make such an assumption because there was a Macbook right next to it! It is insanely thin, but from some reason, the foot print appears to be slightly larger than the Macbook, and so does the screen. I can't explain it, but it does!
  • Reply 29 of 46
    There is a difference between high-quality photos and high resolution photos.

These are high resolution but very badly taken pictures.

In my opinion, at least.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abrooks View Post

There is a difference between high-quality photos and high resolution photos.

These are high resolution but very badly taken pictures.

In my opinion, at least.

Other than some of them being a little less sharp than they could have been (many seem a bit out of focus, nothing is sharp), I don't see any major issues. At least they don't have such a harsh short depth of field that they had of the MacWorld photos.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm sure a 10lb Dellienware is making you studly.

No-Jeff(DMF), a 5lb MacBook ,which has more power and more functionality, suffices just nicely -thank you.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No-Jeff(DMF), a 5lb MacBook ,which has more power and more functionality, suffices just nicely -thank you.

If it "suffices nicely," why are you repeatedly posting about the MBA, which, by definition must add nothing more?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Other than some of them being a little less sharp than they could have been (many seem a bit out of focus, nothing is sharp), I don't see any major issues. At least they don't have such a harsh short depth of field that they had of the MacWorld photos.

Agreed, in that respect they do the job but the harsh use of flash causes erratic colours and a general garish look to lots of the photos.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Picking it up isn't the problem. Carrying it around for long periods of time is the problem. Its not necessarily based on physical strength. Irrespective of your strength carrying extra weight for long periods causes fatigue and stress on your body. Particularly the trapezius muscle in the shoulders and the vertebrae down the spine.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    My MBA SuperDrive and USB Ethernet Adapter arrived today, pity my MBA has not arrived yet

The MBA was due in 2 days before the the others, but held up in international transit

SuperDrive looks great, can not wait to use it.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    That Macbook Air screen is amazing, even looking at the photos. I can't believe what a difference the LED display makes.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How many goddamn photos of this overpriced laptop do we need to see?

Close your eyes and stop looking, then, if it bothers you that much.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Check out this list:

http://tech.msn.com/products/Top5Ult...leLaptops.aspx

And tell me that the Macbook Air is overpriced. The number one seller on this list doesn't have an optical drive, either.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Picking it up isn't the problem. Carrying it around for long periods of time is the problem. Its not necessarily based on physical strength. Irrespective of your strength carrying extra weight for long periods causes fatigue and stress on your body. Particularly the trapezius muscle in the shoulders and the vertebrae down the spine.

Yoga? I agree though that managing fatigue and stress is important. Don't carry a massive backpack around, take regular work breaks, walks, etc.

The MacBook Air IMO is good for all sorts of worker bees on the go. Helps with posture too.