MacBook Air (HDD model): an in-depth review

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

One thing about the article: the latest HD video cameras do not have FW and only have USB, so my new camera from Canon will work fine with the Air.

My brand new Sony HDV has both USB2 and FW400 (iLink); but then it also has SDI, component, and uses ExpressCard 34 instead of DV tape. (yummm...)
  • Reply 42 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you completely blind to the ultraportable class of computers? Is this your first awareness of their existence? While there are some disagreements on what ultraportable means, Apple was the only major computer comany that didn't offer anything in that category. It was about time that Apple stepped in with something. Despite your ignorant assertions, ultraportables routintely use the 1.8" hard drives, and they almost never have a discrete graphics chip. As far as I know, the 3x00 chip is the best used in the ultraportable class. Several models in that class are still using the 950 chip.

Why are we bothering to answer guys like such? We are only feeding their ignorance.
  • Reply 43 of 153
    That's exactly what the 12" PowerBook did; it used a slightly smaller keyboard and display, but ended up considerably thicker than the 15" and 17" models it was sold next to.

This is simply not true. The 12" PowerBook uses the same size keyboard as the 15" and 17" models (not the same keyboard, but the same size). Though I did not believe that it was thicker, I compared them, and yes, it is. However, while the 12" is thicker, it is by no means 'considerably thicker' than the 15" as the article states. It is not even noticeable.

Anyway, I think the MacBook Air is a great machine. I could not care less about the missing ethernet or optical drive. I could even learn to live without the firewire... which I would miss dearly... but, my big gripe with the Air is the length and width.

It may be thin, but it's just as big as a MacBook. Why is the bezel so thick around the screen? And why is there so much space on either side of the keyboard? Shave that off, and Apple will have a work of art.

I'm not looking for an Eee PC... I think Apple did right by keeping a full size keyboard and display. I guess what I really want is a cross between the 12" PowerBook and the MacBook Air. Here's to dreaming.
  • Reply 44 of 153
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crampy20 View Post

...subjective points are everywhere... It is too big and still too heavy.

Maybe some folks are just bigger, stronger, and more financially well-endowed. Personally speaking, all my purchases are based on totally subjective conclusions. I never even thought to ask someone else's opinion, unless they're gonna help me pay.

While I can appreciate an opinion that says it works or doesn't work for a certain person because of XYZ features, I don't think it makes the product or review bad just because someone likes Apple or not.
  • Reply 45 of 153
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brendon9x View Post

Nice article. But I disagree with one point. I don't think the Air will be a success. I know a lot of MacBook Pro and Powerbook users and at least three of them have been waiting for the 12 inch MBP; but not one of them is considering the Air. Which isn't to say they aren't tempted, just that there is something holding them back. The reasons are different for each one of them whether it's the optical drive or the lack of Firewire it all boils down to one thing: They are all looking for a laptop that will be their only computer.

I'm sure their is a market for people who don't mind the Remote Disc and can rip DV on FW using another computer. But the market is so much smaller than those simply looking for a 12 inch MBP.

I had a good laugh at this, people complaining that a 13" screen is to large. Someone in another thread called it HUGE. I on the other hand have been walking away from the MB because the screen is to small. To each their own.
  • Reply 46 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

That's exactly what the 12" PowerBook did; it used a slightly smaller keyboard and display, but ended up considerably thicker than the 15" and 17" models it was sold next to.

This is simply not true. The 12" PowerBook uses the same size keyboard as the 15" and 17" models (not the same keyboard, but the same size). Though I did not believe that it was thicker, I compared them, and yes, it is. However, while the 12" is thicker, it is by no means 'considerably thicker' than the 15" as the article states. It is not even noticeable.

Anyway, I think the MacBook Air is a great machine. I could not care less about the missing ethernet or optical drive. I could even learn to live without the firewire... which I would miss dearly... but, my big gripe with the Air is the length and width.

It may be thin, but it's just as big as a MacBook. Why is the bezel so thick around the screen? And why is there so much space on either side of the keyboard? Shave that off, and Apple will have a work of art.

I'm not looking for an Eee PC... I think Apple did right by keeping a full size keyboard and display. I guess what I really want is a cross between the 12" PowerBook and the MacBook Air. Here's to dreaming.

I ordered the MBA 1.6 with an SSD. I want to maximize battery life and never use processor intensive stuff. LIke the commentator above, I'd have traded off a touch more thickness for a slightly small footprint.

My question is that with a good inch on either side of the keyboard/screen and the same on top of the screen, could they have kept the same screen and keyboard and narrowed these sides if they went thicker.

The screen on my 12inch ibook has that same inch around the sides, but the keyboard does not. Is there something attached to the sides of the screen necessary for it to function that dictates a margin on all sides?
  • Reply 47 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I had a good laugh at this, people complaining that a 13" screen is to large. Someone in another thread called it HUGE. I on the other hand have been walking away from the MB because the screen is to small. To each their own.

I use an ibook 12inch screen, which is okay, but that is 4:3. I own a dell with a 12inch widescreen and that is really small and has little usable space. Most people that spend a lot of time typing on a 12inch widescreen or any form of an 11inch screen, but frustrated and eyestrain quickly.
  • Reply 48 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

You know, I was really surprised at how much this has upset some people. In my own world (office, home), it's all wireless.

What's your envisioned setup, where a stripped down ultralight laptop would be your preferred laptop, but where the lack of ethernet kills it for you? 802.11N really is pretty fast. Most of the things I can imagine needing ethernet for, the MBA was simply the wrong laptop anyway.

(And curse it though you may, Apple does provide the add-on USB-Ethernet thing. I thought that was a terribly good idea. Why do I want something adding weight to my laptop that I hardly ever care to use? On the rare occasions I needed it, I had the add on)

I never use an ethernet on my laptop and taking along the doggle (fits easily and unobtrusively into a pouch or the bottom of a laptop case. Same deal with the optical drive.

I would say I was slightly curious on the inclusion of only one USB. Not sure why that thing on the slide that slides down with USB,DVI and headphone jack wasn't made just a tad longer to hold another. Doesn't really bother me but I am curious...
  • Reply 49 of 153
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

There also appear to be no ExpressCard slot WWAN modules that support the Mac.

I've successfully used Novatel V640 EVDO (for Verizon) and XU870 HSDPA (for Cingular), both ExpressCard/34 devices, on a MacBook Pro. It's been a while now, but my recollection is that the V640 was supported by Tiger straight away, while I believe the XU870 worked just fine but initially required manual configuration. I also believe these 2 ExpressCard devices represent just a few of the many available today.
  • Reply 50 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why are we bothering to answer guys like such? We are only feeding their ignorance.

Heaven forbid somebody posts an opinion that is different than what you want to hear....

I guess it's better to bury your head in the sand like an ostrich than to get the best information you possibly can....

Funny thing is whenever I buy a new product, I spend an awful lot of time looking at the message boards to see what problems people are having. This provides me much better information than listening to the positive spin like we traditionally encounter here....

I am still on the fence about this product and the more I read about user's experiences, the more I think the MBP is for me......

I did have the opportunity to witness someone trying to use a MBA this weekend while they were flying in Economy class (Delta) and it seems as though the person was having difficulty with the lid and the seat in front of him.... Despite this, he seemed to really like his MBA the way he was showing it off.....
  • Reply 51 of 153
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    MacLemming, can you expand on the situation with the person flying economy class with a MBA? This appears to be one of the big questions being asked.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Whoa. That's a lot of unnecessary arrogance and anger there. It is really amazing how you can presume to speak on behalf of the purchase behavior and usage patterns of others whose needs, means, and circumstances may be very different from yours. In addition, it is a complete puzzle to me why you (and a few others) are wasting your time on venting on products that obviously don't even matter to you.

Weird.

Really this is key, the AIR in its current form is not suitable for me, sort of close but no cigar. What bothers me is the unwarranted response that the machine is getting and the complete willingness for the media to bit the big hook that Apple has let out. All I want to see is people doing these reviews to be objective and get the facts out to the readers. The tone of the article was far from that. Frankly if you want a balanced review of the AIR I'd suggest reading the Arstechnica article.

You are quite right that the AIR as it stands may suit a large number of people. The problem is that Apple definitely choose design over function in the case of this device. It will be very interesting to see how many (percentage wise) of the early adopters are using the AIR a year after they buy it. Of those that are left it would be interesting to know if they are frustrated with the unit.

Well if you have been looking for a laptop recently the AIR matters to you, it really doesn't matter if it meets your needs or not. Frankly being vocal also lets the manufacture realize the complexity of the machines reception. They can then take a look at how the unit could be improved in the next round of updates. There in is the key to acceptance in a broader sense. Frankly it wouldn't take much to remove a lot of AIR's limitations if Apple decides to do so.

The machine has its problems but what I'm really angry about is the chearleading response from the media. A little perspective would help.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 153
    There is a lot of talk about compromise regarding the MBA, I think it is the least compromised Apple notebook. Think about it, all MBs has a single most important feature:

If you want performance, get a MBP

If you want a low price, get a MB

If you want portability, get a MBA

(You can rephrase these as: What moment to you care most about: when you use, buy or carry it?)

With the MBA Apple has put the size (actually thickness) as the most important feature. Anything that compromise the size is cut out. Of course, for anything that doesn't impact the size, get the biggest/fastest/and so on. For example, why choose the single platter 1.8 HD and not a dual? Because of a few mm in height. Number and kind of ports: least amount possible to keep the machine simple and lean. This machine is not for when you use it, it is for when you carry it.

Andreas
  • Reply 54 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

You know, I was really surprised at how much this has upset some people. In my own world (office, home), it's all wireless.

Wireless certainly has its applications but someplace's it just isn't reliable or not offered.

Quote:

What's your envisioned setup, where a stripped down ultralight laptop would be your preferred laptop, but where the lack of ethernet kills it for you? 802.11N really is pretty fast. Most of the things I can imagine needing ethernet for, the MBA was simply the wrong laptop anyway.

I don't know about that. The AIR has really good potential for people on the go, but unfortunately they truncated the machine in so many ways it is no longer a versatile laptop.

Quote:

(And curse it though you may, Apple does provide the add-on USB-Ethernet thing. I thought that was a terribly good idea.

Yet you don't see the conflict in logic here. I mean if an USB to Ethernet adapter is such a good thing then maybe a AIR supplied Ethernet port would be even better? I'd be the first to admit though that such an adapter would not be that bad of a solution if AIR simply had been supplied with more USB ports.

Quote:

Why do I want something adding weight to my laptop that I hardly ever care to use? On the rare occasions I needed it, I had the add on)

For one thing I doubt very much that the expansion of the device to include more I/O would have had a significant impact on its weight. It is not like a lot of extra chips are required. The big problem with the add on is what do you do if you are also using the port for something else. Adding a hub doesn't really fly in the case of an ultra portable in my mind. It is far worst to be in a position of carrying around a bunch of dongles and adapters and hubs to achieve you I/O foot print than it is to have a laptop that weighs a little more by fractions of an ounce.

Dave
  • Reply 55 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andwi View Post

This machine is not for when you use it, it is for when you carry it.

Andreas

If it is not for when you use it then why bother? As for the issue of carry, I'd be the first to admit that that is a big issue at times, the problem as I see it is that Apple could have easily accommodated the I/O that is of serious concern to many.

Further the AIR is one of the only laptops Apple makes that is not meeting, not even coming close, its advertised battery lifetimes. But I guess a laptop that you expect to carry and not use has no need for a battery of any size.

Dave
  • Reply 56 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

No, the 12" PowerBook did not use a smaller keyboard. Its full-size keyboard is identical in size to the one used in the MacBook Pro.

As for "considerably" thicker, the 12" was 0.18 inches, or 18%, thicker.

The review also characterizes the Air's CPU speed as "slightly" slower. It's 20% slower than the slowest MacBook and 27% slower than the slowest MacBook Pro.

Swap the adjectives according to the percentages and we have the PB 12" "slightly" thicker than the MBP and the Air "considerably" slower than the MB and MBP.

I would expect hyperbole like "unique", "whisper thin", "sexy", "luxuriously" etc. in a review at MacDailyNews, but I had expected AI to be a bit less biased and defensive of this overpriced laptop.
  • Reply 57 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

MacLemming, can you expand on the situation with the person flying economy class with a MBA? This appears to be one of the big questions being asked.

The gentleman was about 8 rows in front of me. I had noticed he had the "Air" because he was showing it to the people that were sitting near him. I made it a point to go to the bathroom up front because I wanted to "check it out". When I passed by him, he had the MBA open at about 90+ degrees and the top of the lid was already resting against the seatback in front of him. The display looked stunning..

This is what I observed.
  • Reply 58 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

No, you're wrong. Check out Apple's specs page:

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

"Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4MB on-chip shared L2 cache running at full processor speed

800MHz frontside bus"

Thanks,

Kasper

There is a difference between the memory cache speed and the fsb. normally, the ram has a 667MHz cache speed and the cpu has an 800MHz speed.

hope this clear the confusion
  • Reply 59 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crampy20 View Post

this is proof that you should never read reviews by fanbois. Redundant and subjective points are everywhere yet you still cannot justify (after 5 pages) the use of the air.

Why spend more money on something that is less. Especially as it does not do its job I.e. It is too big and still too heavy.

I hope you know that this article is not meant to persuade you to use MBA. Its objective is to lay everything down so that we all can make our own "well-informed" decision.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by divini View Post

Well, it seems that Apple wanted to give us a late Christmas Toy. That's what look to me.

i couldnt agree more.. its not a very useful laptop for me cause i need the power and the versatility of a MBP or MB. But, i would love to play around with it. Its a nice little gadget. hey, maybe i can come up with a new way to deal with all MBA's "problems"

Like buying more itunes movies than DVD disc..