Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 197
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    UPDATE:

I found the menubar translucent toggle in Desktop / Screen Saver prefs. I disabled translucent and the menubar AA text is fixed... however the AA text in the menus is still messed up. Gonna try the graphics update and see if that helps. When you disable the translucent menubar, the dropshadow stands out more. Makes it very UGLY and distracting imo. I tried the graphics update, didn't fix it. How did apple miss something like this? I've had multiple problems in 20 minutes with this update. /shakes head.

Heh you beat me
  • Reply 22 of 197
    After updating to 10.5.2 can't launch iSync anymore... Does anyone have this problem?
  • Reply 23 of 197
    iSync seems to launch for me.

I can't believe apple missed this many things. I smell an incremental update coming very quickly.
  • Reply 24 of 197
    No issues at all installing on 2 different machines.
  • Reply 25 of 197
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

iSync seems to launch for me.

I can't believe apple missed this many things. I smell an incremental update coming very quickly.

You can never know if the problems people cite are due to the Apple update or to some system modification by the end user. But in any case, this is the biggest in complexity Mac OS X point update so far, so there may be indeed many missed things. I will wait anyway before updating.
  • Reply 26 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is now an option in System Preferences => Desktop for turning Menu bar translucency on and off, but that won't affect the drop-down and contextual menus. They do seem less "translucency" than before. No way to change that until a hack comes around.

My Menu Bar text looks the same. It does seem less snappier than 10.5.1 and programs are taking much longer to open. I've open up everything in my Applications folder and I'm now going to restart. Perhaps it will feel the same after that.

why do u guys have a probelm with it being translucent? looks fine to me.
  • Reply 27 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    After installing the Graphics update and doing a soft reboot from the desktop it no longer seems to be sluggish. I can't say it's faster than, but the UI feels 'as' fast as 10.5.1.

Will do another GeekBench and Xbench test.
  • Reply 28 of 197
    downloading update as I type this.. will repost anything I find that is weird after I install it...
  • Reply 29 of 197
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    I don't know if this is new or not... but I just discovered that command-clicking on a "stack" opens the Finder window. Thank god!!! So annoying always having to open the stack and then click the "show in finder" button.
  • Reply 30 of 197
    It's always been that way. Lots of new Stacks options though.
  • Reply 31 of 197
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    ok. cool. still... very glad I discovered that. oh... and I LOVE the new "view as folder" option. I find it a lot easier to recognize at a glance which stack is my apps and which is downloads and which is docs... etc. I could never keep them straight before. Usually had to roll-over first to see which stack was which.
  • Reply 32 of 197
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    My MacBook AIR didn't want to Log out after the download.. it as just hanging.. had to do a forced restart.. ran Software Update again.. installed fine. After restart it hang again and it restarted twice.. No everything seems OK.
  • Reply 33 of 197
    Wooooooooooohoooooooooooooo! I'm so happy, I'm pooping in my pants!
  • Reply 34 of 197
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i just updated macbook and 24 inch white imac. i don't see any issues at all. speed is at least as good. i like solid menu and stacks as list. no problem for me ??? i just did software update and then restarted 1 extra time to see how it boots.
  • Reply 35 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Wooooooooooohoooooooooooooo! I'm so happy, I'm pooping in my pants!

Congratulations on the newest addition to your family. \

• Reply 36 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

My MacBook AIR didn't want to Log out after the download.. it as just hanging.. had to do a forced restart.. ran Software Update again.. installed fine. After restart it hang again and it restarted twice.. No everything seems OK.

My AIR installed fine with no problems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

I found the menubar translucent toggle in Desktop / Screen Saver prefs. I disabled translucent and the menubar AA text is fixed... however the AA text in the menus is still messed up. Gonna try the graphics update and see if that helps. When you disable the translucent menubar, the dropshadow stands out more. Makes it very UGLY and distracting imo. I tried the graphics update, didn't fix it. How did apple miss something like this? I've had multiple problems in 20 minutes with this update. /shakes head.

Heh you beat me

i have no idea why anyone was complaining about the translucent bar??? i have the desktop set to change every minute and i think it looks cool that it shows through the bar. no visibility problems what-so-ever... some of you guys need to lay off the meds!

also, stacks worked fine for me! was never crippled. i like the fan view.

i just don't get some people, they whine about anything and everything, lol...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by takeo

ok. cool. still... very glad I discovered that. oh... and I LOVE the new "view as folder" option. I find it a lot easier to recognize at a glance which stack is my apps and which is downloads and which is docs... etc. I could never keep them straight before. Usually had to roll-over first to see which stack was which.

I never had that problem. Did you know if you right click a stack it gives options for sorting, etc... I was able to always keep mine organized and use stacks all the time, its become an indespensible part of my daily life just like expose. I never saw a problem there, in fact I am still going to use it as a fan, and its gonna be organized regardless...
  • Reply 37 of 197
    Installed. Did the full combo update.

Wireless issues appear fixed!

No iSync problems (I don't use iDisk so can't comment.. but sync is fine)
  • Reply 38 of 197
    Installed updates so far so good! WoW! All the drop-down menu bars are less transparent! Nice!
  • Reply 39 of 197
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Can someone tell me where you toggle the menubar being transluscent vs solid?

Not me. But I bet it's fairly easy to do through the command line if you Google it,

Edit: I misread the question. Thought you wanted to change the degree of transparency, not just have it "on" or "off".
  • Reply 40 of 197
    The server version only has 3 server specific improvements

Software Update Server

Addresses an issue which could prevent Software Update Server from working properly on a system that had been upgraded from Mac OS X Server 10.4.x.

Mail Server

Addresses an issue in which Virtual Mail users were required to have short names configured in order to become active.

Password Server

Addresses an issue that could block object changes from being propagated to Open Directory replica servers.

Although on my server I now have a Time Machine icon in the menubar, This is an Advanced configuration server so Time Machine wasn't previously available/recommended, does anyone know if that has changed?