Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 197
    Macbook Core 2 Duo - just updated and cannot access the internet wirelessly. Diagnostics says Airport and internet are a-okay. Plug in and no problems. Unplug and "you are not connected to the internet". Any suggestions?
  • Reply 62 of 197
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

1. iMac G5 -- locked up during the reboot process; had to hold down the power button to turn off the computer.

How long did you give it before concluding it was hung?

Many of the latest OS X updates install stuff on the first reboot during the grey screen and then restart again - it could well be that the iMac was in this phase.

If I were you I'd:
    • Detach all external devices apart from keyboard and mouse.

• Run disk utility to make sure the disk is OK.

• Download the combo updater from Apple and install it again.

• If you think it's hung at any point, wait at least 20 mins before concluding that it really is hung.

• Reply 63 of 197
    MBP installed and rebooted with no problems. Lovin the new 'folder' and 'list' view in stacks - cheers Apple

Initial startup of Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and Dreamweaver simultaneously and took around 1m 30 secs, second try took around 25 seconds which I guess demonstrates the caching power of OSX.

Anyway, this is one happy camper
  • Reply 64 of 197
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schnaarf View Post

Anyone have the problem of jerky windows, dissapearing windows when they are moved around, slow jerky grid and fan movements? I'm on a 24" aluminum iMac.

thanks

no. on none of my macs.
  • Reply 65 of 197
    oh! did u guys mean that there is no little folder to hide all the stacks in when its minimized?

I just noticed thats new!
  • Reply 66 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

This is probably since so much has changed, its now having to prepare a massive TM backup. Sounds normal to me.

Yeah.. mine was preparing for a long time, then says backing up 3.5GB of 3.5GB. Now it's back . Not sure why .. I did shuffle some files around on my system but they were all in folders/drives that aren't set to back up normally

Okay it finished... and had done 2 backups (12:18 and 12:28). Still no idea why the huge backup.
  • Reply 67 of 197
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I had the long "prepare" time, but worse, in the backup, it's measuring it in kb's! Yup, an hour goes by and it's only done 73 kbs. Weird. I tried other drives... same result. Double weird.

no my backup is no problem.. time machine fine ..somethings not right.
  • Reply 68 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Disk Utility is still reporting those SUiD files, taking much longer than it took in Tiger and not displaying the correct amount of time when doing a Permissions Verification/Repair.
  • Reply 69 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

How long did you give it before concluding it was hung?

Many of the latest OS X updates install stuff on the first reboot during the grey screen and then restart again - it could well be that the iMac was in this phase.

If I were you I'd:
    • Detach all external devices apart from keyboard and mouse.

• Run disk utility to make sure the disk is OK.

• Download the combo updater from Apple and install it again.

• If you think it's hung at any point, wait at least 20 mins before concluding that it really is hung.

I had the same problem. I gave it 45 minutes, then I had to force boot it.
  • Reply 70 of 197
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    So far so good. My iMac is doing great and my MaBook wireless is stable without any dropped connection so far.
  • Reply 71 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

no my backup is no problem.. time machine fine ..somethings not right.

Everything's fine now. Like the update all-around, just thought I'd mention the bit of weirdness. Stacks is much more versatile now, and I like having the Time Machine icon up on the menu bar (less windows open that way). All in all, very cool.
  • Reply 72 of 197
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I always download and install the combo updaters. Especially now that you can't see the progress of the update with Leopard. It takes out some of the anxiety if you can see activity.

If you aren't using webkit.app go get it. It really flies on this update. Wow. Can't wait for the next Safari version!

So far so good here. Will update the iMac later this evening.
  • Reply 73 of 197
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I was content with previous menu transparency and stack grid background, but will tolerate both. I just wish I could right click for dock folder contents menus and still single click for new Stack behaviors. Right now I have to pick one and I personally like stacks and the previous ability to right-click for contents.
  • Reply 74 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hsattert View Post

No issues at all installing on 2 different machines.

I'm just a simple user and prescriber since 1986. Never, absolutely never had an issue with hardware or software.Have all registered, play by the book. Don't know how it works but it just does it's job. Still operate on 10.3.9, 10.4.11 and now on 10.5.2. machines. Spend half of my year on the North and the other half on the southern hemisphere. Have not gotten into iPhone cause of costs (in Chile buying apple is dollar x 2.3, simply unacceptable) and the still unacceptable Apple policy of NO globalization it's products on a sensitive time frame( great stimulus for hacking hard and software). Nevertheless I'm a happy man it's just simple and it always gets better and patience is always rewarding. Updates took 20 minutes to install and as usual no issues.
  • Reply 75 of 197
    Wasn't until i read this thread that somebody was having problems with Time machine and i entered it to check it out did i realise that the buttons no longer have text on them, they are just blank.

I welcome the show stack as folder option, as to me the pile of files made my dock look untidy, but i think the background in grid mode is way too dark and there is something not right with the fan, seems a little pixelated to me.

I thought the option to turn off transparency of the menu bar was going to be good, but to me (having added a black bar to the top of my wallpaper as it looked odd being transparent against the opaque bar when using photoshop), its too light and I liked the transparency on the contextual menus.

No performance issues so far.
  • Reply 76 of 197
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post

I would guess it might be because Ricoh won't let them for one reason or another. Maybe licensing issues. I would contact Ricoh and voice your support of them working with Apple on this matter.

Somehow Adobe's Lightroom manages to support it.
  • Reply 77 of 197
    After installing 10.5.2 I went to load windows vista I received an error saying I needed to repair windows using the install disk. After I repaired Vista, it now runs in sloooow motion. Tried to run Apple update but no luck. I then booted back into osx and ran Parallels and everything was fine. So, I once again booted Boot Camp and is was slow again.
  • Reply 78 of 197
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I just want an easy way to sort book marks and a GUI way to add tabs in Safari.
  • Reply 79 of 197
    Just installed 10.5.2 on a fresh install of Leopard on my iBook G4 1.33Ghz, and I'm having the exact same wireless problems I was before in 10.5.1. Won't stay connected, won't remember my password, times out when connecting.

It can't be the hardware, because it works fine in 10.4.9. I'm going to try and make my AirPort Express my wireless router again, but this is really leaving me pretty fed up.
  • Reply 80 of 197
    After installing this, my MacBook started up VERY slow. However after using OnyX to clean system and user caches and running the maintenance scripts followed by a reboot, everything is back to being speedy again. Hope that helps some of you here who are experiencing a slow down after installing this.