Apple to sell off all 'Pro' Apps?!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just a rumor that I read but has anyone else seen/heard this?

read it here: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/02/11...ther-pro-apps/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yes, it's been widely rumoured for a few months. Apple has been said to be shopping the Pro Apps around to various potential buyers, so they can focus on the consumer market.

I can't understand the rationale though. Final Cut, Aperture and Logic are the upmarket versions of iMovie, iPhoto and Garageband respectively.

Given that Apple uses the consumer versions as freebait to sell Macs, the Pro versions essentially pay for the production cost of the consumer apps. So it makes no fiscal sense to sell off the Pro apps.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I doubt that the pro and consumer apps share much of the same code base. Libraries sure but most of the programming that goes into making the app must be separate.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    It would make no sense really.

Where are the massive profits from the consumer apps to justify getting rid of Pro Apps?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Why don't they just sell the pro apps at consumer prices and dump the consumer versions? They could bundle Final Cut Express instead of iMovie 08.

This means more powerful software for consumers, better value and Apple don't have to focus on as many products. It also means more interest from pros as the higher hardware prices won't matter so much with cheaper software.

They need to do something because the amount of actual innovative development they put into their pro apps is somewhat lacking. Where is Phenonmenon already? It's been 2.5 years or so now since Shake was EOL'd.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Perhaps they intend to spin-off the pro apps into their own software company (like FileMaker).
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Perhaps they intend to spin-off the pro apps into their own software company (like FileMaker).

Please don't say things like that. Even as a joke.

Filemaker isn't exactly a shining example of how to market Pro software.

In other news, Apple seems interested in keeping their Pro apps updated.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Please don't say things like that. Even as a joke.

Filemaker isn't exactly a shining example of how to market Pro software.

In other news, Apple seems interested in keeping their Pro apps updated.

I have always thought that Apple handled (and continues the handle) the whole File Maker subsidary thing very poorly. Most business that use FMP don't realize that its *Apple* software. Why FMP isn't Apple File Maker Pro is beyond me.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

I have always thought that Apple handled (and continues the handle) the whole File Maker subsidary thing very poorly. Most business that use FMP don't realize that its *Apple* software. Why FMP isn't Apple File Maker Pro is beyond me.

I don't think the branding is really the problem. I'm fine with calling it Claris, Filemaker or anything else.

But FMP takes years to embrace Mac platform standards, and only with the advent of Bento can they even claim to be a proper OS X citizen.

They raised the price of using FMP on the web years ago, and drove everyone to PHP/MySQL.

They failed to diversify their line to fill gaps in the platform such as Project Management and Accounting (which is why Intuit has been able to hold the Mac back for years.)

They took ages to update Filemaker to use a scroll mouse.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

I like Filemaker Pro but it is clear it could be so much better.

I would hate to see the rest of Apple's (now cutting edge) Pro apps fall into such malaise.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Apple is not and will not sell most of these.

Apple, like any company, needs flagship software titles like Final Cut and Shake to keep it in the front of the minds of those who are major players in the movie industry and thus, keeping it in front of students, and thus you and me. This would be the equivalent of Chevy selling the Corvette to Hyundai.

Apple will keep their PRO software as it not only generates significant income, but creates a special link between Apple and the glamorous movie and music industries.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense to the point of being entertaining.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense to the point of being entertaining.

I agree. Why would they sell? Makes no sense.

I see Apple buying out Adobe in the near future with that 18+ billion in cash (and growing!).

You will see it!

Apple Adobe Suite:

Apple Flash

Apple Photoshop

Apple Acrobat

that and you will see the rest of the apps fused into the already existing line-up. Dreamweaver+iWeb, etc..
  • Reply 12 of 31
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

I agree. Why would they sell? Makes no sense.

I see Apple buying out Adobe in the near future with that 18+ billion in cash (and growing!).

You will see it!

Apple Adobe Suite:

Apple Flash

Apple Photoshop

Apple Acrobat

that and you will see the rest of the apps fused into the already existing line-up. Dreamweaver+iWeb, etc..

I / and many others would just love to see Apple or someone else bring back Freehand

Skip
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Why don't they just sell the pro apps at consumer prices and dump the consumer versions? They could bundle Final Cut Express instead of iMovie 08.

This means more powerful software for consumers, better value and Apple don't have to focus on as many products. It also means more interest from pros as the higher hardware prices won't matter so much with cheaper software.

They need to do something because the amount of actual innovative development they put into their pro apps is somewhat lacking. Where is Phenonmenon already? It's been 2.5 years or so now since Shake was EOL'd.

No... the entire point of consumer apps is that they are easier to use than pro apps and thus more appropriate for the average person.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Or Apple could buy Adobe and cancel Flash outright, saving the entire planet a lot of frustration.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

No... the entire point of consumer apps is that they are easier to use than pro apps and thus more appropriate for the average person.

I actually find the pro apps easier to use though. In the end it's about functionality and if an app doesn't have a feature then it is harder to do your job. Final Cut Pro and Express look very similar in the way they work and they could easily work in different layouts like DVD Studio Pro does.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz

that and you will see the rest of the apps fused into the already existing line-up. Dreamweaver+iWeb

The Adobe software codebase is so large that it would probably be very difficult to do that in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

I actually find the pro apps easier to use though. In the end it's about functionality and if an app doesn't have a feature then it is harder to do your job. Final Cut Pro and Express look very similar in the way they work and they could easily work in different layouts like DVD Studio Pro does.

Well of course I agree with you that pro apps are easier to use for my purposes, but that's because I'm technically inclined. Having family and friends that are not technically inclined, I can definitely see the benefit of consumer software.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    While it's possible that Apple is looking at the consumer space to generate more revenue/profits I do not think this has to come at the expense of Pro Apps.

Let's be honest..if you're a developer working on Final Cut Pro and Apple says "we're done fellas you're working on iMovie 9, 10 and so on" the good guys are going to bounce. They want to push the envelope.

Also look at other perspectives. If Apple sells Final Cut Pro they destroy a Ecosystem almost a decade in development from Apple Certified Trainers that depend on Final Cut Pro training. From authors delivering books on Apple Pro Apps.

Apple loses mindshare if they lose Pro Apps. What consumer titles are going to sell Mac Pros. What need would we have for XServes without XSAN and other heavy duty stuff?

What about the certified personnel who have spent money and time learning these products. Selling these apps is like selling your left leg. Sure you will undoubtedly lose weight but your mobility will be severely hampered.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    I wouldn't want to admit to being responsible for File Maker Pro either!!

Quote:

• Reply 19 of 31
    Filemaker Pro is a good app. The problem is that everyone who uses it knows it could be a great app, if they only put effort into getting the details right.

Bento is a prime example of this. It's obvious they set out to make a great Mac OS X app that wouldn't overlap with the pro market, and succeeded.

But why did it take so long to add AddressBook capabilities and a great Mac OS X look and feel?

More importantly, when is Filemaker Pro 10 going to be out, and will it have both features?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

The Adobe software codebase is so large that it would probably be very difficult to do that in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh, and I'm sure the Final Cut & Logic codebase was tiny in comparison