Why the all new MacBook Pro has been delayed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post

whats so great about penryn that it gets everyone buying PCs again?

Nothing. It's an incremental improvement. Macs and PCs already have teh snappy with the current batch of processors. This is not a big deal.

The energy savings are nice and they will run a little faster, but these chips aren't a huge leap forward.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O.Henry View Post

and could you tell me the reason why we saw the MBP 4.1 battery log? I think they will release it this tues..

I don't think the battery log appearance is all that convincing or indicative of imminent release.

But still, an updated MBP may come sooner than I expect. I'll wait for a couple more weeks in hopes of being pleasantly surprised.

It's been only 8 months and 10 days since the MBP was last updated. Has Apple ever updated a notebook in such a short time period? Maybe someone can do some digging into recent history.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    how big is the chance that the MBP's will be updated this Thuesday?
  • Reply 44 of 99
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samoske View Post

how big is the chance that the MBP's will be updated this Thuesday?

Honestly, no one really knows, save for Apple.

The Penryn delays seem to be affecting lots of companies, but Dell has just started putting out more machines, so you've got to hope Apple isn't far behind.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/p...lls-xps-m1730/

It will be interesting to see if they're actually holding off an update until an event where they launch the iPhone SDK. Seems somewhat odd to do that unless it is a larger update than specs [ie cosmetic].
  • Reply 45 of 99
    Some evidence that a MBP update cannot be far away.

I think we'll see an update within two weeks.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Buyer%27s_Guide

Here you can see the average time between updates for each of Apple's products, as well as the individual times between updates.

For the Macbook Pro, the average time between updates is 186 days, and as of today, it's been 255 days since the last update. Most people don't count the November BTO options as a "true" update, but it might be giving Apple an excuse to make this update longer than usual.

I bought one of the updated models in late July, so part of me is happy that updates are taking awhile.

The first time I ever bought a Mac was a 15" G4 Tibook. Less than 3 months after I bought it, they introduced the Aluminum version. Total case redesign, better specs, etc. I was pretty annoyed. The important thing is, I got several years of use out of the Tibook, even though it wasn't "cutting edge" for long. In fact, I'm actually selling the Tibook later today, some 4.5 years after I bought it. It's still going strong, but I just have no need for it anymore after switching to the MBP.

Lesson is, wait for upgrades if you can, but if you NEED a new computer right now, buy it. Sure, there will be some sting if something new comes out shortly after (If it's quick enough, Apple makes it pretty easy to exchange/upgrade) but you'll still have a really solid machine that will serve you well for years to come.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

http://guides.macrumors.com/Buyer%27s_Guide

Here you can see the average time between updates for each of Apple's products, as well as the individual times between updates. <snip>

Thanks. Big help! It seems logical by the update frequency that we should see a new MBP very soon, especially with the supply chain drying up. That's an excellent indicator.

Although I dislike waiting, I don't want to buy a soon to be outdated product. Unless there is a huge discount involved, it's not smart to buy at the end of a product cycle.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Heh. If the OP winds up being right, there's going to be a lot of crow-eating in this thread.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    I have the feeling new MBP are coming. And I dont think the multi touch is unique to the MBA. Those pinch, rotate, zoom feature will be more usable for designers, so why would Apple want to make it unique only to MBA? Pros use MBP.

Comon!!! Let it be a MBP!!!!
  • Reply 50 of 99
    I purchased a refurbished 15 inch Mac Book Pro less than a week ago. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what my optins are, IF the rumored Mac Book Pro refresh occurs and IF the changes are significant enough would I be able to return my refurbished MBP and order the new model (obviously not refurbished) ??

BTW the lid on my MBP does not close 'flush' together it has a sligh 1/4 inch gap on one side as if the lid is slightly off. is that reason enough to return the MBP?

Your thoughts would be most welcome
  • Reply 51 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsplash View Post

BTW the lid on my MBP does not close 'flush' together it has a sligh 1/4 inch gap on one side as if the lid is slightly off. is that reason enough to return the MBP?

I just got my new mbp and on the right side there is a gap when closed - probably enough to fit a nickel or quarter into.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Quote:

I purchased a refurbished 15 inch Mac Book Pro less than a week ago. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what my optins are, IF the rumored Mac Book Pro refresh occurs and IF the changes are significant enough would I be able to return my refurbished MBP and order the new model (obviously not refurbished) ??

I don't see why you would buy a refurbrished MBP when you can get a brand new one for a few more hundred dollars. Refurbrished means it use to be broken, and it can very well break again, in other words, I rather have a brand new ones with a few hundred more.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:

Why the all new MacBook Pro has been delayed

To keep people busy wanking over a 2% boost in specs. Seriously. The last update worthy of this kind of obsession was the PowerBook/MacBook Pro transition.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Basically all the hot Mac items around the world are very supply constrained. The challenge I think is in the US numbers, the moment there is "missing" inventory or "bloated" inventory, the stock market will turn its blind vengeance upon AAPL.

I would not be surprised if Penryn isn't shipping in volume yet, hence the delay at Macworld. Steve and Paul O. seemed a little "distant" to each other at Macworld.

That said, I am poring over some dead AMD CPUs at the bottom of an old discarded PC case... and the stars, they are teh speaking to me.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:

I think you will find the more and more you use your MacBook Pro, you will be pretty happy with it. My nickname aside, the GPU in it is still top class. Among other things. Even through the middle of this year, an 8600(M)GT in a mobile PC will be considered cutting edge.

Check with the place you bought it from and ask what their restocking/ return policy is. Just in case something insane pops up... tonight.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Ummmmmmm...

Apple store is down.

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 57 of 99
    any chance the update is today?
  • Reply 58 of 99
    sure there's a chance...

store down again omg
  • Reply 59 of 99
    It was the Shuffle update.

Maybe next week.