Google iPhone usage shocks search giant

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Call me when 3g is as widespread in the US as EDGE is.

Europe and Asia is a totally different story, though; 3G is pretty much ubiquitous, and here is where Apple will generate the most revenue with the iPhone when a 3G version comes out, not in the US.

Sales in Europe may not be very high compared to the US, but the interest definitely is. Please don't forget that the current 4 million sales number is from only 4 countries and 4 carriers. Considering that, 4 million in sales is very good.

Europe and Asia will help Apple reach the 10 million mark by the end of the year.

My guess is that 3G will never be as popular in the US as it is abroad, and the world will move on to 4G before it really becomes widespread. Fortunately, all major providers worldwide appear to be agreeing on the same standards for 4G, so we're not going to have a CDMA-vs-GSM battle.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: AI needs to get on the ball with an "optimized for iPhone" portal for the articles and forums, as well as a WebClip icon.

Totally agree. I even posted a thread in Feedback that has to do with this. But apparently it has gone unnoticed.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Totally agree. I even posted a thread in Feedback that has to do with this. But apparently it has gone unnoticed.

Kasper stated in this thread that they are working on it. It wouldn't be difficult to get the main page and articles converted, but these popular forums would certainly be a chore.

They do have a WebClip icon now so that is proof of a desire of an iPhone friendly interface.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:

I've read that many components of the iPhone are off teh shelf components. If this is true, a 2nd generation iPhone may be able to get more in the confined space possibly allowing for a slightly larger battery in the confined space and perhaps better power management from a more integrated circuit board. This will increase the R&D costs, but the long term benefits should be impressive, assuming this is true.

I think as sales numbers increase they will be able to afford more customization and integration when it comes to the circuitry. This will free up space for more goodies. The more part #'s they can share between the iPhone and Touch, the better.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

No, it just makes you a couple of jackass nerds.

That's MR. Jackass Nerd to you!
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Call me when 3g is as widespread in the US as EDGE is.

Europe and Asia is a totally different story, though; 3G is pretty much ubiquitous, and here is where Apple will generate the most revenue with the iPhone when a 3G version comes out, not in the US.

Sales in Europe may not be very high compared to the US, but the interest definitely is. Please don't forget that the current 4 million sales number is from only 4 countries and 4 carriers. Considering that, 4 million in sales is very good.

Europe and Asia will help Apple reach the 10 million mark by the end of the year.

I agree on the first count. However, 3G in Europe and Asia is not as ubiquitous as many think. Italy is reported the highest with nearly 20% market penetration. It is estimated that the mobile market amounts to just over 500 million customers in Europe.

However, Japan outpaces everybody else, but the rest of Asia is minimal.

European 3g Penetration Passes 10%

"The penetration of 3G services in Europe's connection base reached 10% in the latter part of October 2007, having stood at 9.75% at the end of the third quarter. W-CDMA net additions reached a record 9.1 million in the third quarter, up more than 1 million on the previous high of 8 million recorded three months ago, to leave the total customer base at 68.3 million."
    http://www.cellular-news.com/story/28153.php

One thing that we should keep in mind is that the relative successes of mobile service employments enjoyed in Europe and Japan can be attributed relatively to the physical size of the country and its population density. The smaller the country, the easier and less expensive it is to build, maintain and regulate their mobile services.

Countries like the US and Canada are at a significant disadvantage, particularly Canada. China's and India's geographical size is compromised monetarily even though it has significantly higher populations. That and the foreign ownership and communication regulation policies enforced by national governments. Some are very open and other extremely regulated.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

PS: AI needs to get on the ball with an "optimized for iPhone" portal for the articles and forums, as well as a WebClip icon.

I dont like this idea of special iPhone websites. The whole idea of iPhone was to view normal websites not cut down mobile versions.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

I dont like this idea of special iPhone websites. The whole idea of iPhone was to view normal websites not cut down mobile versions.

The beauty is that it can read normal sites just fine.

However, that is no reason why the unarguably most popular MID for internet browsing can't have sites optimized for it. I don't see this as an iPhone-only solution. As more and more MIDs start using comparable browsers and displays there will already be web portals that will be optimized for a small, low resolution screen that is likely using a slower internet connection.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Oh my God, so 50x more searches from iPhone on Google, right? And what exactly does this tell us? Let's see what search engines are used in different mobile browsers:

Windows Mobile / Opera Mobile 8.65 - Yahoo.com

Symbian / Opera Mobile - Yahoo.com

Opera Mini 4 (Java) - Yahoo.com

Internet Explorer Mobile - Live.com

Nokia Search - Live.com and/or Yahoo.com (http://europe.nokia.com/A4566441)

So, the *only* mobile browser using Google Search is ... Safari on iPhone. Still surprised obsolete iPhone has a majority there? ;-)
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I agree on the first count. However, 3G in Europe and Asia is not as ubiquitous as many think. Italy is reported the highest with nearly 20% market penetration. It is estimated that the mobile market amounts to just over 500 million customers in Europe.

However, Japan outpaces everybody else, but the rest of Asia is minimal.

What the f*ck are you talking about!???

We have 100% 3G coverage here. Every carrier has a 3G option with easy migration from GSM for those of us who don't already use it. "Market penetration" is meaningless. But still I'd say it's about 30-40% here.

What is more meaningful is coverage (100%), charges compared to GSM (on par) and availability compared to GSM (all carriers).

China has the same situation. Both China Mobile and China Unicom have 3G networks, and charges that are only slightly more than GSM.

Singapore as well.

Have you ever even BEEN to Asia? Stop talking out of your ass.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rADo View Post

Oh my God, so 50x more searches from iPhone on Google, right? And what exactly does this tell us? Let's see what search engines are used in different mobile browsers:

Windows Mobile / Opera Mobile 8.65 - Yahoo.com

Symbian / Opera Mobile - Yahoo.com

Opera Mini 4 (Java) - Yahoo.com

Internet Explorer Mobile - Live.com

Nokia Search - Live.com and/or Yahoo.com (http://europe.nokia.com/A4566441)

So, the *only* mobile browser using Google Search is ... Safari on iPhone. Still surprised obsolete iPhone has a majority there? ;-)

This is dumb. Like most users, I'd expect, no matter what is "built in" to my browser I go to Google. I hate Yahoo search. I use Google on my GSM phone with Opera Mini, as well as Java Google Maps and Java gmail. I don't believe I have ever done a sarch on Yahoo.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This is dumb. Like most users, I'd expect, no matter what is "built in" to my browser I go to Google. I hate Yahoo search. I use Google on my GSM phone with Opera Mini, as well as Java Google Maps and Java gmail. I don't believe I have ever done a sarch on Yahoo.

The OP does make a valid point. Since Google is the default browser and pretty much most other smartphones, according to his list, use a different default browser Google stats may not be indicative of the number or frequency of all smartphones being using on the internet.

I have no doubt that the iPhone web browser's usage far exceeds every other smartphone, but that is a logical assumption based on the ease of use and its built-in WiFi. However, would it be 50x as much if you were to aggregate many sites not associated with these popular web browsers? Probably not, but I'd wager it's still trumps all others, just not by 50x.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Oh my God, so 50x more searches from iPhone on Google, right? And what exactly does this tell us? Let's see what search engines are used in different mobile browsers: So, the *only* mobile browser using Google Search is ... Safari on iPhone. Still surprised obsolete iPhone has a majority there? ;-)

This story is about what Google has found. Google can only account for who is searching Google. They cannot account for who is searching Yahoo or Live.com.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rADo View Post

Oh my God, so 50x more searches from iPhone on Google, right? And what exactly does this tell us? [...] So, the *only* mobile browser using Google Search is ... Safari on iPhone. Still surprised obsolete iPhone has a majority there? ;-)

Well...any phone can send a text message to Google (46653) and get search results sent back via text message (directions, phone numbers, locations, etc.). No need for a browser. My bud has a RAZR and does it all the time.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Well...any phone can send a text message to Google (46653) and get search results sent back via text message (directions, phone numbers, locations, etc.). No need for a browser. My bud has a RAZR and does it all the time.

I'm very impressed! I didn't know this even existed before you made your post. I've tried restuarants and locations I often look up using Google search to locate a phone number or physical address. While the info is always in the search result I have to look through it to find the info. But this parses out all the crap and gave me just he number and address. Even when I purposely spelled it wrong or shortened the name for sending the SMS. Very cool!
  • Reply 56 of 56
    I was in the mall yesterday and needed to check a price on Amazon.com, so I walked down to the Apple Store for some free WiFi. Lo and behold, I was automatically redirected to Amazon's iPhone site (beta). It worked great. And they also have a link to allow you to go to their regular "PC site" if you want.