Toshiba rumored to quit HD DVD as Wal-Mart pulls support

Comments

• Reply 141 of 312
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    In an unrelated side note, I've officially GIVEN UP on Safari... it just will NOT let go of memory, and sooner or later I'm hitting the disk and everything gets very slooooooooow. Even quitting or resetting Safari doesn't seem to help much.

And I still, even with 3.0.4, get the occasional crash on top of everything else.

Now running Firefox 3 Beta 3, with no regrets. Sorry Stevie, I gave it every chance... you just didn't deliver.

• Reply 142 of 312
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Okay, so 1 million HD DVD players were sold worldwide (and that figure does include the HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360). So how many PS3s are there?:

Adding to Blu-ray's momentum was the gradual increase in sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 home video-game console, which also works as a Blu-ray player. Sony has sold 10.5 million PS3 machines worldwide since the machine went on sale late 2006.

Wow... so there are 10 TIMES more PS3s out there, all Blu-Ray capable, than HD DVD players? Sounds like that was a factor.

10 million isn't necessarily the "real" number, but it's quite the sleeping dragon as people buy HD sets and awareness rises. As it was, a survey a few months ago showed that only about half of the owners knew it could do high-def anything. I think about a quarter of them were actively used as Blu-Ray players. 2.5 million machines vs. 1 million is quite a difference and I think that played out in the VideoScan figures.
  • Reply 143 of 312
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Why was mdotdubz banned? I didn't read anything from him that would warrant a banning.
  • Reply 144 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

10 million isn't necessarily the "real" number, but it's quite the sleeping dragon as people buy HD sets and awareness rises. As it was, a survey a few months ago showed that only about half of the owners knew it could do high-def anything. I think about a quarter of them were actively used as Blu-Ray players. 2.5 million machines vs. 1 million is quite a difference and I think that played out in the VideoScan figures.

Yup. Not to mention that PS3s were not the only Blu-Ray machines out there.

• Reply 145 of 312
    Quote:

In an unrelated side note, I've officially GIVEN UP on Safari... it just will NOT let go of memory, and sooner or later I'm hitting the disk and everything gets very slooooooooow. Even quitting or resetting Safari doesn't seem to help much.

And I still, even with 3.0.4, get the occasional crash on top of everything else.

Now running Firefox 3 Beta 3, with no regrets. Sorry Stevie, I gave it every chance... you just didn't deliver..

Have you tried WebKit nightly builds?
  • Reply 146 of 312
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why was mdotdubz banned? I didn't read anything from him that would warrant a banning.

When did that happen? I didn't see it.
  • Reply 147 of 312
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Too many "idiot" and "loser" comments.
  • Reply 148 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When did that happen? I didn't see it.

Under his name in every post he's made is the word "banned" in red.

Perhaps it was relating to a different thread, as I don't think a single use of "idiot" would warrant such an action by these admins here.
  • Reply 149 of 312
    Quote:

Under his name in every post he's made is the word "banned" in red.

Perhaps it was relating to a different thread, as I don't think a single use of "idiot" would warrant such an action by these admins here.

Ok, now that I scrolled back I see. I don't know what he might have done elsewhere.

We all go overboard upon occasion, but I suppose it's the constancy that matters. Certainly, i've been called some pretty bad things by a few, but no one interceded. I sometimes respond "actively" if I feel as though I'm being insulted, or that someone is posting in a non responsive manner. But, usually, I let it go.
  • Reply 150 of 312
    Quote:

Ok, now that I scrolled back I see. I don't know what he might have done elsewhere.

We all go overboard upon occasion, but I suppose it's the constancy that matters. Certainly, i've been called some pretty bad things by a few, but no one interceded. I sometimes respond "actively" if I feel as though I'm being insulted, or that someone is posting in a non responsive manner. But, usually, I let it go.

I freely admit that I've been enjoying the insults more often and, perhaps, have been answering some people on this forum in an attempt to get them riled up while still not breaking the forum rules. I blame the Writers Guild strike: Conflict is drama; drama is entertainment.
  • Reply 151 of 312
    Quote:

Quote:

See this thread. Got banned at post #15.
  • Reply 152 of 312
    Quote:

Have you tried WebKit nightly builds?

I'll give it a shot, so long as its web page compatibility is good.

I'm just so very disappointed/disgusted with Safari at this point.

• Reply 153 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Thanks.
  • Reply 154 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Gotcha. Thanks.

I hope the ban isn't a long one. His name calling, while uncalled for, does not scream to me that he was trying to incite or inflame the board. It just seemed he was writing in the same manner he would talk to his friends.
  • Reply 155 of 312
    Quote:

I'll give it a shot, so long as its web page compatibility is good.

I'm just so very disappointed/disgusted with Safari at this point.

I was having some problem with the earlier betas, but it mostly worked well until 10.5. Then, when I updated the Flash to the beta, it kept crashing when certain Flash ads were on the page. I would shrink the page so they didn't appear, and all was well. Then there was some other problem, but I don't remember what. When Adobe again updated the flash plug-in, my problems from that went away. At some point, an Apple update stopped the other crashing, and Safari has been very stable.

I don't check the memory usage.
  • Reply 156 of 312
    Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks.

I hope the ban isn't a long one. His name calling, while uncalled for, does not scream to me that he was trying to incite or inflame the board. It just seemed he was writing in the same manner he would talk to his friends.

Friends talk that way to each other on Tv comedies, but if someone was consistent doing that in real like, there wouldn't be any friends.
  • Reply 157 of 312
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks.

I think it's fair to say most of us get a little hot under the collar at times in this forum and may resort to a quick insult. I think he used them a little too often, but like you, I don't think it was awful enough to deserve banning. Maybe if he was slinging around terms like a-hole.

Quote:

Hmm. That's odd. I notice Safari eats a lot of RAM after a while, too. But whenever I quit, it all comes back. Especially with Safari 3 and its ability to "Reopen all windows from last session," I don't mind just quitting and restarting. That, BTW, is not a feature even Firefox has, unless they've added it in V3. (I'm talking about reopening after quitting. Firefox 2 can recover after a crash or after a force quit, but not a regular quit.)

Quote:

Yup. Not to mention that PS3s were not the only Blu-Ray machines out there.

Indeed. In fact, towards the end of last year, standalone Blu-ray players were outselling HD DVD players.
  • Reply 158 of 312
    Well as far as M$ being in the HD-DVD camp, I'm pleased that they've lost! I mean...Blu-Ray is a sexier name anyway...who came up with HD-DVD anyway...gold medal for creativity there, sounds like something from the nerd patrol at MicroShite.
  • Reply 159 of 312
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Oh, BTW, to anyone who says "downloads are the future," see this article at Macworld. You may or may not get really fat pipes in the future, but it won't be all the data you want anymore. So is it really worth paying for a download from the iTunes store or wherever, paying for the bandwidth and paying for the disk space to store it on or the blank to burn it to rather than just ordering the movie on Blu-ray?
  • Reply 160 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Well as far as M$ being in the HD-DVD camp, I'm pleased that they've lost! I mean...Blu-Ray is a sexier name anyway...who came up with HD-DVD anyway...gold medal for creativity there, sounds like something from the nerd patrol at MicroShite.

It is less creative, but it's also a more logical association with non-technical masses who are familiar with the term DVD and HD, in reference to TVs. If I had to choose the nomenclature I'd have gone with HD-DVD despite Blu-ray's obvious "cool" factor.