Blu-Ray Victory Gloat-Fest Thread :)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Well, being that I am or will be a consumer of Blu Ray and not one who actually developed it, any gloating I do will be stupid.

This is true, but the Blu v. Red war has become the nerd equivalent of a major sporting event. I'll bet Marz is passed out at a celebratory kegger right now.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

But that's gross revenue, not net. I think Sony is officially breaking even, or even making some money on one of the PS3 models now. Is that right? If they're not then their net revenue on consoles should still be a negative number.

latest news is that they passed 8 million paid for downloads, that might just help in terms of breaking even per console as well??
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Why do you feel the need to gloat? Do you work for Sony?

No, I think it's because the debate has been the longest lived and most annoying on this site.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Big Deal. Sony finally won a format war.

Unfortunately, it wasn't with a superior product. Just underhanded tactics and ridiculous DRM hassles for consumers. Yay for Big Media and region codes. I look forward to reminding the Blu-Ray boys about their 'victory' in the coming years.

And just for the parting shot:

Even with the win, what kind of fool would buy a standalone BD player before October?
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Big Deal. Sony finally won a format war.

Unfortunately, it wasn't with a superior product. Just underhanded tactics and ridiculous DRM hassles for consumers. Yay for Big Media and region codes. I look forward to reminding the Blu-Ray boys about their 'victory' in the coming years.

And just for the parting shot:

Even with the win, what kind of fool would buy a standalone BD player before October?

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha

These threads kill me.

In fact, I think it's time that I close the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD thread.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    While you're at it, you might think about moving this thread to GD, since this isn't a Future Hardware discussion (unless we're talking specifically about its inclusion in the Mac Pro.)
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:

While you're at it, you might think about moving this thread to GD, since this isn't a Future Hardware discussion (unless we're talking specifically about its inclusion in the Mac Pro.)

No no!

I'm waiting for the inevitable 'but HD-DVD bribed people, too' responses.

And then someone will talk about the 360. And then, tangentially, the Wii.

Then DVD. Laserdisc. Betamax. Downloads.

Michael Bay.

Profile 2.0.

Microsoft.

Interactivity.

J6P.

etc.

I will move it, though.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Naw, it's just the only thing he's been right about in his entire life.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Naw, it's just the only thing he's been right about in his entire life.

• Reply 30 of 58
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Neither is the "vs." thread, if you want to be technical about it, since it's now a foregone conclusion that HD DVD drives will never be future hardware in Macs. Feel free to start a "Blu-ray in Macs - When?" thread.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

Mostly because there were about 2500 posts, mostly driven by HD-DVD fanboys (but also perpetuated by the Blu-ray equivalent). I think most sensible people looked at the facts about a year ago and realized that Blu-Ray (a) enables better products and (b) has a lot more marketing muscle behind it. Having to walk on glass in related matters just to avoid flame wars breaking out was extremely annoying. If anything, we gloat because that BS is OVER.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Mostly because there were about 2500 posts, mostly driven by HD-DVD fanboys (but also perpetuated by the Blu-ray equivalent). I think most sensible people looked at the facts about a year ago and realized that Blu-Ray (a) enables better products and (b) has a lot more marketing muscle behind it. Having to walk on glass in related matters just to avoid flame wars breaking out was extremely annoying. If anything, we gloat because that BS is OVER.

Also, Sony was finally able to pay off the studios to enhance their 'decision making'. Everyone knows this decision was money based.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

If by "mostly driven by HD-DVD fan boys" you mean "about 50% Marzetta 7 carrying on like a 12 year old girl at a Beatles concert, with another 25% piling on like someone was attacking their mother", then, yeah, I guess.

Otherwise, WTF?

The very fact that SDW sees the need to start a "gloat" thread kind of tells you all you need to know about the tone of that previous thread.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I'll bet Marz is passed out at a celebratory kegger right now.

Ok, I apologize in advance but this made me LOL hard.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Not enough gloating here, people!

• Reply 36 of 58
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I really don't care. In a way I'm happy the war is over but saddened because this battle pretty much spoke volumes about troubling issues.

1. Keirtsu style partnerships mean more than shipping good product.

2. Consumers value Bigger Better More More rather than maintaining some semblence of rights.

3. Companies still lie like rugs and no one really calls them on it.

4. Small players simply cannot survive in today's "politically infused" Emtertainment market even with a better product.

I find it odd that the term "Consumers have made their choice" was bandied about multiple times by studios yet consumers in this battle had a decided lack of choice which caused most of the frustration.

I'm a little bugged that HD DVD is dying so quickly because Samsung would be crazy to try and deliver their Universal player now but guess I'll take advantage of a closeout HD DVD player as a backup and wait for a Profile 2.0 BD player to be affordable. I have nothing but time.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 38 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
  • Reply 39 of 58
    I, for one, am waiting for the Blu-ray DRM to be cracked...

Edit: Nevermind. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ack-of-bd.html
  • Reply 40 of 58
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Now the hackers can focus their efforts on a single format