Blu-Ray Victory Gloat-Fest Thread :)

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 58
    So if I get my BluRay discs (double layer) scratched, I lose 50GB of data instead of 4 or 8GB with a DVD... Handle with care, etc. is good for the textbook, but it is not possible to avoid scratches.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    So if I get my BluRay discs (double layer) scratched, I lose 50GB of data instead of 4 or 8GB with a DVD... Handle with care, etc. is good for the textbook, but it is not possible to avoid scratches.



    A similar argument was espoused by some people when hard drive sized started increasing beyond 1GB.



    Handle both media types and see how much better protected the BR disc is. It's no contest that the BR disc will survive scratches that would destroy a typical DVD. Now HD DVD, on the other hand, was every bit as susceptible to damage as a typical DVD.



    If you're able to scratch a BR disc you really need to rethink the way you're handling them.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post


    A similar argument was espoused by some people when hard drive sized started increasing beyond 1GB.



    Handle both media types and see how much better protected the BR disc is. It's no contest that the BR disc will survive scratches that would destroy a typical DVD. Now HD DVD, on the other hand, was every bit as susceptible to damage as a typical DVD.



    If you're able to scratch a BR disc you really need to rethink the way you're handling them.



    Any good links to information on how BR discs are better protected when compared to DVDs? (Yes, I know how to use Google, but that is besides the point...)
  • Reply 44 of 58
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    Any good links to information on how BR discs are better protected when compared to DVDs? (Yes, I know how to use Google, but that is besides the point...)



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_ray...ing_technology



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis
  • Reply 45 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    So if I get my BluRay discs (double layer) scratched, I lose 50GB of data instead of 4 or 8GB with a DVD... Handle with care, etc. is good for the textbook, but it is not possible to avoid scratches.



    You have plastic on all your furniture, don't you?
  • Reply 46 of 58
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I bought into Blu-ray. But I have to roll my eyes when I hear the "superior format won" hyperbole. Superior? Come on. It might've had a couple of advantages over HD-DVD, but superior?
  • Reply 47 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post


    I bought into Blu-ray. But I have to roll my eyes when I hear the "superior format won" hyperbole. Superior? Come on. It might've had a couple of advantages over HD-DVD, but superior?



    We're getting a little picky now...hmmm?
  • Reply 48 of 58
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I'm not trying to be. Honestly. I think Blu-ray is great. I thought HD-DVD was pretty cool too. Personally, I felt the IME features of HD-DVD were great. I watched most of the IME's encoded into the movies I rented. And I'm still puzzled over this whole BDJ 2.0 thing.



    But if capacity is the only real "advantage" then I don't find that to be a "superior" argument.



    Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3. It's mainly a movie watching box. But I also use it as a jukebox and slide-show generator when I have parties at my house. I find it amusing that most of my friends and family will hover around the plasma watching that cool-ass slide-show. Everyone's always blown away that it's generated live by the PS3.



    But all of that is praise of the PS3 and not of Blu-ray. And I wonder if people are confusing their satisfaction with the PS3 with the actual "superiority" of the Blu-ray disc format? I think they are. I think they're blending the two and make a valuation judgment based on the "system" and not the disc.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post


    I'm not trying to be. Honestly. I think Blu-ray is great. I thought HD-DVD was pretty cool too. Personally, I felt the IME features of HD-DVD were great. I watched most of the IME's encoded into the movies I rented. And I'm still puzzled over this whole BDJ 2.0 thing.



    But if capacity is the only real "advantage" then I don't find that to be a "superior" argument.



    Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3. It's mainly a movie watching box. But I also use it as a jukebox and slide-show generator when I have parties at my house. I find it amusing that most of my friends and family will hover around the plasma watching that cool-ass slide-show. Everyone's always blown away that it's generated live by the PS3.



    But all of that is praise of the PS3 and not of Blu-ray. And I wonder if people are confusing their satisfaction with the PS3 with the actual "superiority" of the Blu-ray disc format? I think they are. I think they're blending the two and make a valuation judgment based on the "system" and not the disc.



    No really, that makes sense. I think it has some advantages, but I agree "superior" is probably a bit extreme if the meaning is taken literally. "Better" perhaps.



    I have to give Sony some serious credit here though. How the hell does one win with a format called "Blu-ray" when the competition makes use of the term "HD-DVD"....when the previous format was called simply "DVD?"



    I think when the dust settles, Blu-ray's victory is going to be attributed to the PS3. I really think that may have put it over the top. I guess all those PS3s counted after all!
  • Reply 50 of 58
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post


    I bought into Blu-ray. But I have to roll my eyes when I hear the "superior format won" hyperbole. Superior? Come on. It might've had a couple of advantages over HD-DVD, but superior?



    A couple of advantages?



    Blu-ray offers:
    • 67% higher capacity per layer, not only important for movies but for PC storage purposes

    • Uncompressed audio available thanks to higher capacity

    • 4-layer discs demonstrated and 8-layer possible

    • BD-R is more stable since it uses phase change material rather than organic dyes like DVD-R and HD DVD-R, and comparably priced blanks despite better technology and higher capacity than HD DVD-R

    • Better durability thanks to Durabis

    • Support from a wide range of CE hardware manufacturers rather than just one or two

    • BD-R has much faster write and read speeds compared to HD DVD-R

    HD DVD offers:
    • IME and online extras right now -- which most people don't care about. I don't even bother with the commentary on most of my DVDs

    • Supposedly lower pressing costs, which haven't translated into lower movie costs for consumers

    • Combo discs, which most people hated because they were forced to pay another $5 or so for a DVD side they may not have wanted.

    • No region coding. I've never had a need for a region other than my own. Besides, Blu-ray only has three regions rather than six as DVD did, and somebody will probably create a region-free hack anyway.

    Looks overwhelming to my eyes.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    I have to give Sony some serious credit here though. How the hell does one win with a format called "Blu-ray" when the competition makes use of the term "HD-DVD"....when the previous format was called simply "DVD?"



    Maybe because "HD DVD" was confusing. There are many stories of people buying HD DVD discs and finding that that (shockingly) they don't work in their DVD players. You can find quite a few such complaints on Amazon. Besides, most people don't like saying HD DVD. It just doesn't roll off the tongue.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    The very fact that SDW sees the need to start a "gloat" thread kind of tells you all you need to know about the tone of that previous thread.



    You are such a whiny bastard. Just roll with it, or ignore it. If you don't realize that SDW started this to have some fun, knowing well that the whiners would whine about it, you are pretty unobservant.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post


    I bought into Blu-ray. But I have to roll my eyes when I hear the "superior format won" hyperbole. Superior? Come on. It might've had a couple of advantages over HD-DVD, but superior?



    Are you for real? I know we live in an age where everything is completely topsy-turvy, but somewhere you have to draw the line.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    What can you say, except:



    *Blu-Ray runs in for the game-winning score*



    *Blu-Ray spikes the ball in HD-DVD's FACE*



    *Blu-Ray does the funky chicken in the end zone*



    Game over man, game over.



    The rest is just sour grapes.















    .
  • Reply 55 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post


    What can you say, except:



    *Blu-Ray runs in for the game-winning score*



    *Blu-Ray spikes the ball in HD-DVD's FACE*



    *Blu-Ray does the funky chicken in the end zone*



    Game over man, game over.



    The rest is just sour grapes.















    .



    Excellent. That said, it's quite possible Blu-ray "won" nothing. If consumers don't adopt the format as the next "standard," it will be left back as a niche format.



    In other words, "After Victory, Fans Burn Stadium to Ground; Owner Moves Team to Tokyo."

  • Reply 56 of 58
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    Are you for real? I know we live in an age where everything is completely topsy-turvy, but somewhere you have to draw the line.



    It's a good product. Maybe even great. But it's certainly isn't (wasn't) superior to HD-DVD.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    You are such a whiny bastard. Just roll with it, or ignore it. If you don't realize that SDW started this to have some fun, knowing well that the whiners would whine about it, you are pretty unobservant.



    Fascist!
  • Reply 58 of 58
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    Excellent. That said, it's quite possible Blu-ray "won" nothing. If consumers don't adopt the format as the next "standard," it will be left back as a niche format.



    In other words, "After Victory, Fans Burn Stadium to Ground; Owner Moves Team to Tokyo."







    I don't really see anything that could stop Blu-Ray from doing at least moderately well during its run.



    Movie downloading is very new from where the mainstream sits, and too many ppl are either unused to it or don't have very fat pipes. DVD will be 'good enough' for some for awhile, but HDTV adoption rates have finally started to take off, and will be helped further by analog TV broadcasts being turned off in early '09.



    I doubt Blu-Ray will ever have quite the impact DVD did, but it should still do well.



    So, it's more like "Blu-Ray wins Super Bowl, but game is lowest-rated in modern history", at worst.





    .
Sign In or Register to comment.