The design of the new MacBooks & MacBook Pros?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The MacBook Pro is obvious, the only real question remaining is will it come in anodized black as well? And yes, if you haven't figured it out by now, the black keyboard represent keyboards which are back-lit.







-------------------------------------------------------------



So what about the consumer MacBook? I think anodized-aluminum accompanied with the white [i.e. non-backlit keyboards]. Oh and yes, color is finally back!



Just look here for proof:







«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 42
    I've been lurking here for quite awhile, and since the Macbook (Pro) redesigns are top of mind for me, I figured this would be the perfect post to finally register. Anyhow, I foresee the same future for the MBP (though I'm still not sure how I feel about the black keys). As far as the Macbook goes, I really hope and think it's going to go aluminum. I would personally like to see white keys, with a black bezel around the screen with both sheathed in glass, just like the iMac. I think Apple will shy away from using colors, instead going with silver and black, like the iPod classic. What I truly want to see is a white backlit keyboard for the Macbook. I think it could be another one of those "Apple touches" that separate them from the competition, rather than relegating it to the Pro line only. I am hoping the backlight in the Air is the start of this.



    Someone posted this mock up some months back; I think it would be perfect:



  • Reply 2 of 42
    How many threads do we need to discuss this issue?

    I understand the need to speculate, but there are at least 2 other threads that probably contain most of the info that you are looking for....
  • Reply 3 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post


    How many threads do we need to discuss this issue?

    I understand the need to speculate, but there are at least 2 other threads that probably contain most of the info that you are looking for....



    This thread is dedicated to how they will look. My views are that both are going to be aluminum. With the Pro going with the black, backlit keyboard and mag-latch etc. And I just hope the new consumer MacBooks will come in colors, including black and silver. I suspect we'll see white non-backlit keyboards on the standard MacBooks too.



    Looking at the Sony laptops in color makes the MacBooks actually look old fashioned. The Sony's are beautiful. If Steve announces the new MacBooks and brings out just a silver one, I'm going to be wishing the Vaio's ran OS X. It's time for real color to come back to Mac, at least for the MacBooks, when the new aluminum one is released. Also, like the iPod shuffles and nanos, making them in aluminum makes for a perfect canvas to make some sexy anodized colored MacBooks. The teens would eat them up, and you could still go with the regular silver color if you wanted that.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    i think the will look the same!!! Apple just design a new model in june 2008, not now i think.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    the sony laptops look cheap, boring, old and something you'd buy at wal-mart. i think apple will keep the black and silver throughout the line, if you want colour buy a skin for your laptop. if you want coloured aluminum buy a nano.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post


    the sony laptops look cheap, boring, old and something you'd buy at wal-mart.



    You lie. Compare them to the current plastic MacBooks, at least on the exterior the Vaio's own them.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    i'd say the viao's are quite ugly, they look like they've got a protruding jaw, underbite and buck tooth when they are closed. too many different colours on the outside.. from what i can see - red top, silver middle, cheap black plastic bottom.. and to top it off the hinge makes it look amateur.



    The macbook is quite sexy, and then throw in the black one, and you've got a winner. Apple's design simplicity will always be first class. So when Sony finally figures it out that engineers shouldn't be the ones designing the look of the laptop, maybe their notebooks will compare, until then, viva la macbook.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    The design of the MBP will probably mimic the MBA.

    The MB *might* get white keys - but coloured aluminium is not likely (would be nice though).



    Aluminium MB is a given (the MB is the only Apple product in plastic).

    I also think (hope) backlit keyboards, LED screens and multitouch trackpads will come on the MB.

    MB needs some gadgets to justify its rather high price (although I would prefer a drastic prize cut).



    Screen size and resolution as well as ports, processor speed and support for external monitors will separate the MBP from the MB. Hopefully the MBP will also get an internal memory card reader (CompactFlash) to make it even more attractive for photographers.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    If Apple produces an aluminium MacBook as well as an aluminium MacBook Pro, it makes me wonder what the distinction between the two ranges would be apart from screen size and footprint.



    I would love to see a 13" MacBook Pro in aluminium. I plug my laptop into a larger screen when i'm in the office and only use the in-built screen when travelling. I don't really need a 15" screen, but i do need the computing power of the MBP.



    For me the ideal solution would be a MacBook Pro range of 13, 15 and 17 inch models all made from aluminium and utlizing high power chipsets and a MacBook range of 13 models also made from aluminium with perhaps annodized metal colour variations utilising lower-power chipsets.



    What does anyone else think?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post


    If Apple produces an aluminium MacBook as well as an aluminium MacBook Pro, it makes me wonder what the distinction between the two ranges would be apart from screen size and footprint.



    I would love to see a 13" MacBook Pro in aluminium. I plug my laptop into a larger screen when i'm in the office and only use the in-built screen when travelling. I don't really need a 15" screen, but i do need the computing power of the MBP.



    For me the ideal solution would be a MacBook Pro range of 13, 15 and 17 inch models all made from aluminium and utlizing high power chipsets and a MacBook range of 13 models also made from aluminium with perhaps annodized metal colour variations utilising lower-power chipsets.



    What does anyone else think?



    Shiny black carbon fibre 13", 15" and 17" MBPs (please)



    Coloured aluminium MBs.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post


    What does anyone else think?



    If Apple had any sense they would make the new aluminum MacBooks in all three sizes [13, 15 & 17], drop the Pro moniker completely, sell the 13" version in 6 colors including black and silver, sell the 15" and 17" versions in black and silver, and allow the costumer to customize "all three" sizes from relatively basic powered machines all the way up to monsters. That would solve all the problems and enable every Mac user to the laptop they want, with the power they want.



    But.. Apple won't do that.



    Apple continuously makes strange moves in their notebook department, and they continuously refuse to make the best and most obvious moves.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Shut up and buy a MBP already. These new "MBP design threads" are nauseating.



    Apply to the Industrial Design Group at Apple. That's your best shot at seeing what you'd like to see actually happen.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    Shut up and buy a MBP already. These new "MBP design threads" are nauseating.



    Apply to the Industrial Design Group at Apple. That's your best shot at seeing what you'd like to see actually happen.



    Wow that was rude
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    You lie. Compare them to the current plastic MacBooks, at least on the exterior the Vaio's own them.



    I quite agree. It's (past) time for Apple to drop the white. The MBs will be aluminum, and they're better be available in colours. Anyone who doesn't like the colours will have the choice of grey. I have a green Nano, and it's slick. I would also point out that the computer doesn't have to be completely green or blue or any other colour: a splash might be enough for the right effect -- for instance, the Nano is only coloured on the front face.



    I also think you're right that the black keyboard will be reserved for the Pro-end. I guess this means that the MBA is a pro machine -- it's probably the way that Apple envisioned people using it: road-warriors that want a mobile second computer. It would, therefore, make sense for the MB to keep the white keyboard.



    Crazy idea: how about chrome keys!
  • Reply 15 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post


    The MBs will be aluminum, and they're better be available in colours. Anyone who doesn't like the colours will have the choice of grey. I have a green Nano, and it's slick. I would also point out that the computer doesn't have to be completely green or blue or any other colour: a splash might be enough for the right effect -- for instance, the Nano is only coloured on the front face.



    I agree with that, the don't necessarily need to be fully colored. They could have just a colored lid, although I suspect they will be fully colored if they go there. It is high time the brought color back to some of their laptops though.



    The real secret to getting this right, as in using color and making them look good is choosing the right colors, and the right tone of those colors.



    PS: I love colored, anodized aluminum.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Wow that was rude



    and calling someone a liar isn't rude?



    have you applied to the industrial design group?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    I highly doubt Apple will move to aluminum in their MacBook line. It doesn't really make sense. Their target consumers for a MacBook are students and more casual users. These individuals don't necessarily want or need the professional look of aluminum and in my opinion are better suited to the durability of a plastic case. Also it makes more sense to me that Apple reserves the more professional/desirable image for the Pros to maintain that division in their lineup. It also encourages people to spend more money. Example being the black MacBook, a white one with the same specs costs about ~$150 less. Why? People pay more for the black look.



    I also doubt they will come out with any form of colored aluminum pro. Once the anodized aluminum scratches the party is over and the silver/gray color of the aluminum will show through. If they somehow figure out a better way to do I'm all for it, but I haven't seen the technology yet.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Have you not noticed that everything else in the Apple line has gone Aluminum?



    The iPods and iMacs, both totally non-pro devices intended for use by the masses, have gone from plastic to aluminum.



    Also, aluminum is much more durable than plastic.



    Apple is trying to get on the "We're Green" bandwagon by using less plastic, more recycle-able materials, etc.



    I can't imagine that Apple will leave the Macbooks in plastic for much longer. Switching to Aluminum makes perfect sense.



    As for coloring, I dunno if it would happen. I think that IF they did it (and it's a big if) they'd make the regular Macbook in colors like the Nano and Shuffle, and make the MBPs in Silver and/or Black only.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    and calling someone a liar isn't rude?



    have you applied to the industrial design group?



    I don't want to work for Apple, you don't seem to want to get that. I work for myself, end of.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wk127001 View Post


    I highly doubt Apple will move to aluminum in their MacBook line. It doesn't really make sense. Their target consumers for a MacBook are students and more casual users.



    Aluminum iMac.
Sign In or Register to comment.