The design of the new MacBooks & MacBook Pros?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

The design of the MBP will probably mimic the MBA.

The MB *might* get white keys - but coloured aluminium is not likely (would be nice though).

Aluminium MB is a given (the MB is the only Apple product in plastic).

I also think (hope) backlit keyboards, LED screens and multitouch trackpads will come on the MB.

MB needs some gadgets to justify its rather high price (although I would prefer a drastic prize cut).

Screen size and resolution as well as ports, processor speed and support for external monitors will separate the MBP from the MB. Hopefully the MBP will also get an internal memory card reader (CompactFlash) to make it even more attractive for photographers.

I don't think the MB will go aluminum. One of its big draws is its polycarbonate shell which means it can withstand the rigors of kids and school life 10x better than the Aluminum MBPs.

As an example - I *just* lightly bent the top frame of my display because my foot brushed against the side of the screen as I put it down to handle an emergency while working from my chair and it pushed the display angle down too far, bending the metal that is held to the joint. This would NOT have happened in a MB. The plastic wouldn't have cracked either because its strong enough.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I don't think the MB will go aluminum. One of its big draws is its polycarbonate shell which means it can withstand the rigors of kids and school life 10x better than the Aluminum MBPs.

As an example - I *just* lightly bent the top frame of my display because my foot brushed against the side of the screen as I put it down to handle an emergency while working from my chair and it pushed the display angle down too far, bending the metal that is held to the joint. This would NOT have happened in a MB. The plastic wouldn't have cracked either because its strong enough.

You won't do that again. Besides aluminum looks way better.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

For me the ideal solution would be a MacBook Pro range of 13, 15 and 17 inch models all made from aluminium and utlizing high power chipsets and a MacBook range of 13 models also made from aluminium with perhaps annodized metal colour variations utilising lower-power chipsets.

What does anyone else think?

I'm witcha.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution View Post

I'm witcha.

I want a headless MBP. Maybe with like a few PCI slots or room for a bigger HDD or something.

C'mon Apple! Stop dropping the ball and give us the xMa..... er I mean MBP already!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    is a blu-ray drive a possible option?

for the new MBP?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhapsodyinpink69 View Post

is a blu-ray drive a possible option?

for the new MBP?

From what I've seen in tech news and from people I know: no. There's a 9.5mm Blu-ray burner now, but it's a tray loader. There needs to be a slot-loader, and while those are in the works, they're probably not going to be ready for the next MBP update.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Blu-ray = more DRM = Digital RESTRICTION Management. I really don't see the need for it. If one needs more space to write to an optical drive why not just get an external hard drive? As for the picture quality it isn't that much better than a standard DVD. And now there's a new converter that nearly matches Blu-ray picture quality.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Let's try to keep this thread on track. We're talking looks. What will the new MacBook look like, and what will the MacBook Pro look like. What materials will they be made of, colors etc.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Not sure if anyone else out there has any similar feelings, but I actually like the current MacBook Pro keyboard. My sister has a MacBook (white) with the newer keyboard style. I got my MacBook Pro last month just after the expo to make sure there were no new updates and I enjoy typing on my MacBook Pro much more than the MacBook keyboard. I guess it's just personal preference.

In any case, I'm sure the new MacBook Pros are going to live up to the "Pro" standard, at least I hope they do.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Hey, I just made the switch, typing this on my MacBook right now and I personally love the white. Very sharp looking, IMO. I'm still not sure how it will stand up to abuse but we'll see. I have to say the only thing that I don't like is the integrated graphics. But the price jump for the MBP is ridiculous. If Apple released a 13 inch Pro model tomorrow this beast would go right back to Cupertino if the price was right. Honestly though, It runs WoW better than my Windows box so I can't really complain. The new GMA 3100 ain't that bad if you don't us your MB for games too much, should be better once my 4 gigs come in. Anyhow, back to the point of the thread. The white is very nice but if the new MB has the aluminum with the black bezel like the Imac then sign me up.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    MBP and MB will get the new touch pad and LED screen, MB will be in aluminium but it wont have backlit keyboard. MBP and MB will be thinner and lighter (but not as thin and lighter compared to MBA). Colour? I think silver/white/black is classy enough for me, rainbow colours are just lame and dont give the classy feel when owning a Apple laptop, instead it feels cheap cause the competitors try to attract customer with rainbow colours (Dell?). So I dont think introducing other colour variants is the way to go for Apple MacBook line.

End of Story.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Unless we get a rather dramatic MBP re-design, which I doubt is going to happen, I believe it's highly unlikely we'll be seeing aluminum MB's any time soon -- Apple tend to keep the designs fairly different to distinguish between the normal and pro lines, I doubt they will ever look similar in design.

Got to say, I wouldn't mind the new MBPs looking something along the lines of the concept at the top of the thread, I'm looking forward to the release (of the new MBPs) so I can finally buy a Mac, something I've been meaning to do for quite a while now.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I agree with the consensus here that the MBPs will get updated first with new sleeker aluminum designs...perhaps with rounded edges like the air.

Then later the Macbooks will get an aluminum redesign as well. Perhaps with a rainbow of color choices like the ipod nanos.

But then what do i know? Absolutely NUTHIN! HUH! :-)
  • Reply 34 of 42
    I wonder how slim and light can the new Macbook Pro get.

The bottom case of the MBP will probably be dicated by the physical size of DVI and RJ-45 Ethernet ports. The top lid can probably get slimmer like the MBA.

I will be very happy with the new 15" MBP comes in at 0.8" height and 5 lbs. Of course the weight saving has to come from somewhere and I wonder where and how.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    The new design could be 20 - 22mm I feel. Currently the MacBook Pro is 25.4mm. Any thinner though and the ports wouldn't fit.

• Reply 36 of 42
    to get significantly thinner, the pro must drop regular dvi in favour of mini dvi. ethernet may be another item on the chop block.. if you own pro, chances are you're going to have a wireless router. (however on the go, not everyone has wireless, so would anyone know if there's some way to reduce the size of an ethernet port?)

and good god so help me if they have the same drop down tray for the ports like the air.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

to get significantly thinner, the pro must drop regular dvi in favour of mini dvi. ethernet may be another item on the chop block.. if you own pro, chances are you're going to have a wireless router.

If they drop the ethernet port I will kill them.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

If they drop the ethernet port I will kill them.

Wi-Fi is the way of the future....resistance is futile!!! , haha (joking)

Well the MacBook will eventually go green cause Apple is going green.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Security and speed are also issues that pro user care about.

I would rather use wired Gigabit Ethernet whenever possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Wi-Fi is the way of the future....resistance is futile!!! , haha (joking)

Well the MacBook will eventually go green cause Apple is going green.

• Reply 40 of 42
    These are good observations about the design issues. Thank you.

I think you're right, Ireland. Scope to make the MacBook Pro thinner is limited. I don't think they'll get it below 20-22 mm. But they should find 2 mm in the lid, because LED screens take up less space (any diagreeing trolls see MBA). And they should also find a further 2-3 mm in the body.

MBP will definitely have Ethernet and Video out. It may indeed have Mini-DV instead of existing port. Not having Ethernet would be a deal killer for many.

But Apple may resort to a similarly clever picee of design, like a drop down tray that houses the ports, to ensure thinnest possible package. I would like to see more than 2 USB ports.

Given that Apples share price is at $119, they really do need to do something to recapture interest and investor confidence. Will it be 26th? I hope so.