Mega Apple filing details next-gen 'multi-touch input surface'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    You mormons get on my last nerve! Apple is trying to copy our surface computer! When they do this our lawyers will sue them into oblivion!
  • Reply 62 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I can't be a whore, I don't charge.

Well then, let's just say that you have dubious morals.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I can't be a whore, I don't charge.

If you are the multi-touch whore/slut just make sure you don't pinch. You might be infringing on an Apple patent.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well then, let's just say that you have dubious morals.

Hey, it all started with the "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" t-shirt...

• Reply 65 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hey, it all started with the "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" t-shirt...

I'm not Irish, I'm Ireland.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you are the multi-touch whore/slut just make sure you don't pinch. You might be infringing on an Apple patent.

What?
  • Reply 67 of 88

I wouldn't call is iTouch though. I'd actually call it Multi-touch keyboard.

This is the future of the desktop computer, no mouse and multi-touch screen as your keyboard [and mouse]. I called this one about 15 months ago, and I still believe in it. Welcome to Macworld 2010.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    Quote:

I'm not Irish, I'm Ireland.

That's OK... I'm Irish.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    I'd like them to say, "Slap Your Mac".
  • Reply 70 of 88
    Quote:

That's OK... I'm Irish.

I am actually Irish, just my username isn't Irish
  • Reply 71 of 88
    Sneaky bloody Irish

I must say the MultiTouch products better hurry up coz I'll sell my arse to get them; in true whore fashion. That Pad would be sweet.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

I'd like them to say, "Slap Your Mac".

I'd like to see

"Spank Your Mac"

• Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:

I wouldn't call is iTouch though. I'd actually call it Multi-touch keyboard.

This is the future of the desktop computer, no mouse and multi-touch screen as your keyboard [and mouse]. I called this one about 15 months ago, and I still believe in it. Welcome to Macworld 2010.

Nice. But I would get rid of the wires. It would be much cleaner as a bluetooth device.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    add in some stylus recognition and pressure sensitivity and you can sign me up

meantime, i'm ordering a modbook
  • Reply 75 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Nice. But I would get rid of the wires. It would be much cleaner as a bluetooth device.

It's a screen. The first one won't be wireless.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    edited:
  • Reply 77 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How do you now Apple is worse? Can you give comparisons?

Apple's advertising for a long time, has been based around slagging off Intel [now their new best mates] and Windows/PCs in general. They also have claimed 'innovations' that PC users have been using for quite some time. The laser mouse and the scrolling trackpad are two that spring to mind, there have been others, but my mind needs some serious defragging at present. This what I mean by worse. Windows advertising is usually just plain awful, but it doesn't make dubious claims or do negative advertising. Apple have also had to withdraw ads in the UK, because of dodgy claims.

This nasty marketing spin is quite detrimental [and unnecessary], the recent Mac Vs PC ads in the UK also made people feel sorry for PC, standing next to the smug Mac character. The ads were dropped.

Ads like the new Mac Air or the funky iTunes ads are much better.

Apple remind me of Audi, they make good looking, well engineered, but pricey than average cars. But imagine Audi slagging off all other car manufacturs and lumped Ferarris, Rolls Royces, Aston Martins, BMWs, Morgans, TVR in same category as Trabants, Tata, Reliant, Rover etc. I doubt it would go down well, but that's effectively what Apple do with all non-Apple PCs.

And yes Apple do make some good innovations, but with their small market share and one they completely control, it's much easier to dump old standards as there is no competition. Whereas MS tends to maintain legacy ability as a lot of their customers care more about that, than this week's new gadget. As ultimately, that can be far more important.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Don't slag apple's legacy abilty, right now i'm typing from a G5 PowerMac with Panther. Works just like the day I got it and I still get updates.

Also: so far your comparisons are advertising, a mouse, cars and updates.. really nothing that makes me want to run out and buy a dell.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troyhark View Post

Apple's advertising for a long time, has been based around slagging off Intel [now their new best mates] and Windows/PCs in general. They also have claimed 'innovations' that PC users have been using for quite some time. The laser mouse and the scrolling trackpad are two that spring to mind, there have been others, but my mind needs some serious defragging at present. This what I mean by worse. Windows advertising is usually just plain awful, but it doesn't make dubious claims or do negative advertising. Apple have also had to withdraw ads in the UK, because of dodgy claims.

This nasty marketing spin is quite detrimental [and unnecessary], the recent Mac Vs PC ads in the UK also made people feel sorry for PC, standing next to the smug Mac character. The ads were dropped.

Ads like the new Mac Air or the funky iTunes ads are much better.

Apple remind me of Audi, they make good looking, well engineered, but pricey than average cars. But imagine Audi slagging off all other car manufacturs and lumped Ferarris, Rolls Royces, Aston Martins, BMWs, Morgans, TVR in same category as Trabants, Tata, Reliant, Rover etc. I doubt it would go down well, but that's effectively what Apple do with all non-Apple PCs.

And yes Apple do make some good innovations, but with their small market share and one they completely control, it's much easier to dump old standards as there is no competition. Whereas MS tends to maintain legacy ability as a lot of their customers care more about that, than this week's new gadget. As ultimately, that can be far more important.

I didn't read anything here that supports what you said. Apple was the first to build the trackpad into their machines. Until then, you could buy them as accessories.

Apple never claimed that their mouse was the first with laser tracking.

I also think that the rules about advertising in England, and a few other places is terrible. It seems as though the government doesn't believe the consumer is intelligent enough to separate the truth from the hype. Advertising is designed to move a product over another. If one product has something that the other doesn't, even if it's nebulous, and consists of a feeling, a company should be allowed to say it. I don't like the idea of being "protected".

MS maintains legacy, because they know that if they didn't, people would stream off the platform. That legacy is all that keeps their market tied to them.

In fact, that was got them into trouble with Longhorn, ne Vista. They tried mightily to come up with a new OS with major new features, AND maintain their "legacy" compatibility. They failed, and had to go to Server 2003 for the base code for Vista. They then added a few things to the periphery that should have been built-in to the core (that they claimed WOULD be built into the core), such as security, etc. How has that worked out?

And, with all of that nonsense, what happened to their printer drivers, and their scanner drivers, etc? Problems galore.

So, please don't use the untrue argument about what, and why, MS does things. Don't ever be fooled again into thinking that ANY company does what is best for their customers. They ALL do what is best for themselves. It's how they see doing that, that results in MS slogging through ancient problems they can't eliminate because of their fear of their customer base.

It's also why Apple's OS is considered, even by those in the PC industry as being the best OS available, because Apple made the hard choices.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

Also: so far your comparisons are advertising, a mouse, cars and updates.. really nothing that makes me want to run out and buy a dell.

apart from maybe the latitude xt which has the functionality i crave, if not the looks / OS