Report: iPhone SDK pushed back to March

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Thanks for a great common sense post Ronbo. To see grown adults whine and moan over this is more than amusing. Things happen, delays happen. The very same ones complaining that there is a delay will be the same ones complaining that Apple should have taken their time and done it properly.

And I appreciate your comment. We see eye to eye on some points. We can agree to disagree on others.

(now if I can somehow get you to stop using that Steve-selling-oxygen line )
  • Reply 42 of 74
    Quote:

Maybe this is an aside to this topic but are people here deluded into thinking that "Steve" is their friend and let's them in on the inner workings of Apple and its decision processes? Steve's loyalty is to the shareholder and the current Mrs. Jobs. Period. If "Steve" could get us to buy air without providing an oxygen component, he would. Steve Jobs and Apple are not our friends. They are a company that survives on our good graces and our ability to purchase their products. What do you think would happen if there was a one month boycott of Apple products? They would have a sh..t hemorrhage. As long as Apple feels they can treat customers the way they do and have a hard core base of apologists, there is no reason for them to change their behavior.

P.S. Didn't mean to sound so cynical but the truth is the truth.

Well I think my post was more about Apple doing a better job at managing peoples expectations. If it's late, then fine it's late, just say so! up front. Instead of waiting until the last possible minute and then changing the release date. It's just rude.

By posting the press release and committing to the end of Feb. You set an expectation and if that is missed then people will obviously be pissed.

That why I said they should have just have said 1st quarter which only would have given them a better buffer if their plans didn't work out. Apple have had a few knocks in the media's eye recently, which they can ill afford.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

And I appreciate your comment. We see eye to eye on some points. We can agree to disagree on others.

(now if I can somehow get you to stop using that Steve-selling-oxygen line )

I'll reply to both of your relies. I agree we can disagree while agreeing. Now if we can just get the Palestinians and Israelis together, anyway, I digress. Apple, in my opinion took the easy way out with the iPhone. It could be soooooooooo much better than it is with little or no work for a company of Apples stature. They bailed and dumped a substandard product on the market (by the way, I have one so I am ranting as well , besides I have a relative working for AT&T that hooked me up. ) that is maybe not used to really high end devices. The latest batch from Nokia, SE, Samsung, and a few others are clearly hi-tech devices. Apple could easily eat these guys lunch and come back for desert.

As for the SDK, I would rather it late and working than early and crap. My homage to the apologists concerned a blind devotion to anything that Apple does, even when it screws up.

Feel free to use my "air" comment as you see fit. Nice discussing with you.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadunne View Post

Well I think my post was more about Apple doing a better job at managing peoples expectations. If it's late, then fine it's late, just say so! up front. Instead of waiting until the last possible minute and then changing the release date. It's just rude.

By posting the press release and committing to the end of Feb. You set an expectation and if that is missed then people will obviously be pissed.

That why I said they should have just have said 1st quarter which only would have given them a better buffer if their plans didn't work out. Apple have had a few knocks in the media's eye recently, which they can ill afford.

Good point. The problem is, Apple almost never admits a problem unless it is plastered all over the news and they have to say something. When I used the term apologists, I was referring to certain media outlets that fail to hold Apples feet to the fire when the make a boo-boo, but your point is well taken.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:

They bailed and dumped a substandard product on the market (by the way, I have one so I am ranting as well ,

I don't think they bailed I think they concentrated on the features that would be useful to people instead of feature loading. The N95 has more features but the user experience is really bad..

Features are missing from the iphone and need to be added in. I think they would have added those features if they had the time. The same thing happened to Mac OSX they had to cut features that Mac os 9 had in order to get the thing out (spring loaded folders etc) and over (a long) time they added those features back in.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:

Good point. The problem is, Apple almost never admits a problem unless it is plastered all over the news and they have to say something. When I used the term apologists, I was referring to certain media outlets that fail to hold Apples feet to the fire when the make a boo-boo, but your point is well taken.

The cynic in me thinks Apple planted this "rumour", which luckly came out on friday night. So people could have the weekend to get used to the idea before the stock market opens on monday

Maybe they are managing our expectations in a slightly backwards way.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:

The cynic in me thinks Apple planted this "rumour", which luckly came out on friday night. So people could have the weekend to get used to the idea before the stock market opens on monday

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:

Sure sounds to me like this thread has finally found itself mangled in multiple levels of intertwined logical knots at this point.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

There are already quite a few apps for the iPhone. The difference between the ones now and the ones that Apple will be releasing is that the apps out there now are free. Apple is probably delayed because their payment system is not in place yet.

What does this have to do with what I wrote? It's like you didn't even bother to read the comment and just needed some pretext to post. Did I write that there are no apps out? Did I write that new ones would or won't be free? FYI, I know all about free iPhone apps. I've got quite a few of them on my iPod Touch, enough to require a second page of icons on the Springboard.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

What does this have to do with what I wrote? It's like you didn't even bother to read the comment and just needed some pretext to post. Did I write that there are no apps out? Did I write that new ones would or won't be free? FYI, I know all about free iPhone apps. I've got quite a few of them on my iPod Touch, enough to require a second page of icons on the Springboard.

Actually Kolchak, that's my bad. I did not mean to post in reply to your post. Sorry. I was thinking left and posted right. After I went back, and realized I meant to post on two or three about yours. Yes the apps are out there. I have three pages myself on my iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

That's the thing about missing a deadline - you don't know it's going to happen until the last moment. And while you're bemoaning Apple missing this deadline, guess what? The deadline has not come yet! If they were to come out tomorrow and say they are delaying it 1-3 weeks, then they would be doing so one week BEFORE the deadline. I think that's a reasonable amount of time left to look down at the calendar and say gee, the work we have to do can't be done in one week.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    I heard from http://www.personafile.com/products (2nd post down today) that the SDK is due to iTunes not being ready. This seems possible, but its just as likely that 3rd party apps aren't ready for a prime time demo by Jobs. something Apple doesn't control!
  • Reply 53 of 74
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by feb21 View Post

I heard from http://www.personafile.com/products (2nd post down today) that the SDK is due to iTunes not being ready. This seems possible, but its just as likely that 3rd party apps aren't ready for a prime time demo by Jobs. something Apple doesn't control!

The problem is that neither problem would prevent releasing the SDK to the developers. iTunes does not have to be ready for the developers to start writing their applications. It just has to be ready when the developers are ready to release their apps. (Unless this iTunes update is required for the developers to install their apps on the iPhone for testing.) And why would unfinished third party apps hold up the release of an Apple product? That would only happen if the third party app was required for the Apple product to function. I don't think that would be the case fore an SDK.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

The problem is that neither problem would prevent releasing the SDK to the developers. iTunes does not have to be ready for the developers to start writing their applications. It just has to be ready when the developers are ready to release their apps. (Unless this iTunes update is required for the developers to install their apps on the iPhone for testing.) And why would unfinished third party apps hold up the release of an Apple product? That would only happen if the third party app was required for the Apple product to function. I don't think that would be the case fore an SDK.

Aren't there third party apps already out there? I have a bunch of them on my iPhone and iPod Touch. So the hold up can't be the apps unless Apple wants to put a: "Blessed by Jobs" stamp on each and every one.

It could be simply that they slipped the date, but February is not over yet.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:

Thanks for a great common sense post Ronbo. To see grown adults whine and moan over this is more than amusing. Things happen, delays happen. The very same ones complaining that there is a delay will be the same ones complaining that Apple should have taken their time and done it properly.

I don't care for the delay. I would rather have fully working apps rolled out, and a cool Apple event, than half-assed work and a sloppy press release.

Bring on the SDK, I can't wait for cool apps and will gladly pay $5-10!
  • Reply 56 of 74
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    i would pay 1-5.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

i would pay 1-5.

That seems more iTunes like.

"iPhone apps now only $2.99 or $1.99"

They would really sell like hotcakes then

PS app of the week $0.99!
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

I don't care for the delay. I would rather have fully working apps rolled out, and a cool Apple event, than half-assed work and a sloppy press release.

Bring on the SDK, I can't wait for cool apps and will gladly pay $5-10!

Name one person that is happy about a delay. Be realistic. Jailbreak your phone and get the same apps now for free.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    Quote:

Name one person that is happy about a delay. Be realistic. Jailbreak your phone and get the same apps now for free.

No thanks. I'd rather wait for stable stuff from trusted programmers, not a rogue squad of talented hackers.

I'd rather see useful apps from large, name-brand companies as opposed to barely working cheap hacks (no offense).

I tried jailbreak, although cute, something like iPhones 1.1.3 update are much better. Jailbreak only got me more excited about SDK

Plus I'd rather just spend $5 and get a app that works, simply plug in my iPhone and DL it with no hassles. Jailbreaking your phone with confusing install procedures that takes hours for the average person seems like a waste of time to me. And not being able to use Apple's cool updates when they come out sucks too!
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Hopefully we'll begin seeing applications for the iPhone by late this year. Some of the stuff coming out so far on Android is truly impressive. iPhone development has a lot to catch up on.

not to disregard your valid point about android's impressive features, but android isn't out yet, so the comparison isn't really valid here. let's see what it's going up against closer to its first device's release date.

one thing's for sure: the loser here is microsoft.