Report: iPhone SDK pushed back to March

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

No thanks. I'd rather wait for stable stuff from trusted programmers, not a rogue squad of talented hackers.

I'd rather see useful apps from large, name-brand companies as opposed to barely working cheap hacks (no offense).

I tried jailbreak, although cute, something like iPhones 1.1.3 update are much better. Jailbreak only got me more excited about SDK

Plus I'd rather just spend $5 and get a app that works, simply plug in my iPhone and DL it with no hassles. Jailbreaking your phone with confusing install procedures that takes hours for the average person seems like a waste of time to me. And not being able to use Apple's cool updates when they come out sucks too!

I to not think you have a real understanding of how the jailbreak/unlock process works. For one, I can unlock an jailbreak my iPhone faster than you can activate your phone via iTunes. Max time, 2 mins and 45 seconds. The same "cool" apps have been available for free quite a while ago so the coolness factor was there for people that wanted it. Jailbroken iPod Touch's and iPhone have had the same EXACT applications that Apple charged loyal customers $20 for but gave away (yes, yes there are fiancial reason) a few weeks later. Your term, "rogue hackers" could be considered offensive based on the hard work that many of these guys are putting in, and I am sure that many of their hacks have forced Apple to release upgrades, change the way they do things, etc.... because there were people out there willing to "Think Different".

No offense to you as well, but as far as jailbreaking/unlocking is concerned, you are a bit misinformed. Go to www.iclarified.com and get a great briefing on the state of unlocking/jailbreaking.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Aren't there third party apps already out there? I have a bunch of them on my iPhone and iPod Touch. So the hold up can't be the apps unless Apple wants to put a: "Blessed by Jobs" stamp on each and every one.

It could be simply that they slipped the date, but February is not over yet.

Yes there are third party apps, in the hacker/gray-market arena. But I can't see Steve Jobs using them as demos on what can be done with this great new shiny SDK. Especially as these apps were not created with this new SDK. Besides you completely missed the point. I was saying that the lack of third party apps would not be a reason to delay the release of the SDK.

In this case your defense of "rogue hackers" is overblown, because they are rogue hackers. They hide their identities and are completely unknown to most of us. What are their companies? Where are they based? Who do we go after when their great masterpiece bricks our iPhone or Touch? Sorry, they sound like rogues to me. -- I do not mean to put down hackers in general or these in particular. But like all people there are good hackers and there are bad hackers, with most being mediocre. I will not trust my iPhone or Touch to an unknown hacker until there is a mechanism to evaluate and rate their work.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Yes there are third party apps, in the hacker/gray-market arena. But I can't see Steve Jobs using them as demos on what can be done with this great new shiny SDK. Especially as these apps were not created with this new SDK. Besides you completely missed the point. I was saying that the lack of third party apps would not be a reason to delay the release of the SDK.

Okay. I think, and maybe you can correct me, but these apps and any newly created apps have to use the same frameworks, etc... to be created right? I am not a programmer so anyone that knows, please weigh in. If MS were to create a nice shiny app, I am quite sure Steve Jobs would not use it as it is not "Apple" certified. Regardless, I have nothing wrong wtih Apple wanting to get paid for developing apps, but I would take umbridge if Apple releases and charges for an app that is already out there for free.

Quote:

In this case your defense of "rogue hackers" is overblown, because they are rogue hackers. They hide their identities and are completely unknown to most of us. What are their companies? Where are they based? Who do we go after when their great masterpiece bricks our iPhone or Touch? Sorry, they sound like rogues to me. -- I do not mean to put down hackers in general or these in particular. But like all people there are good hackers and there are bad hackers, with most being mediocre. I will not trust my iPhone or Touch to an unknown hacker until there is a mechanism to evaluate and rate their work.

Having a company does not insure a great app anymore more than lacking one. Bad apps usually are made known within the community. The one thing that the SDK will provide is a possible signing procedure for apps to say that they conform to a certain set of standards. As for bricking a Touch or iPhone. There is DFU mode, then restore. Everyone knows this. I totally agree with you about there being mediocre hackers. My problem, well actually I really do not have one, but more of a concern is that the SDK will further lock down the iPhone/iPod Touch developer community if they do not tow the Apple party line. Let Apple make money, but let's others Think Different and make the iPhone a really super product.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    It is bad on the Apple's part that it has delayed SDK. Apple please don't copy Microsoft.

Sachin
  • Reply 65 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sachxn View Post

It is bad on the Apple's part that it has delayed SDK. Apple please don't copy Microsoft.

That's very silly. Every major company has had to delay a product for some reason at some time. The SDK being delayed for a few weeks doesn't make it anything like Vista, being repeatedly delayed for years
  • Reply 66 of 74
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I would have the API late and done right, than on time and rushed. Believe me, there is nothing worse than a product that was rushed, simply to make a deadline. I believe it was Nintendo that said "A product is not late until it is released. A bad product will always be bad".
  • Reply 67 of 74
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Okay. I think, and maybe you can correct me, but these apps and any newly created apps have to use the same frameworks, etc... to be created right?

Wrong. The reason for the SDK is to create a framework. Right now they are programming in the wild with no established rules. I've heard from several sources that some of these apps cause problems with the phone and problems between themselves. I've heard from people who had used hacked apps but eventually dumped them all. An SDK sets a guide so that apps work well within in the phone and don't interfere with each other.

Quote:

Having a company does not insure a great app anymore more than lacking one.

Yes it does. If you are at all interested in your company making money. It would be better for you to make a good app. Once the word gets out on a bad app, few people will will buy it.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

I to not think you have a real understanding of how the jailbreak/unlock process works. For one, I can unlock an jailbreak my iPhone faster than you can activate your phone via iTunes. Max time, 2 mins and 45 seconds. The same "cool" apps have been available for free quite a while ago so the coolness factor was there for people that wanted it. Jailbroken iPod Touch's and iPhone have had the same EXACT applications that Apple charged loyal customers $20 for but gave away (yes, yes there are fiancial reason) a few weeks later. Your term, "rogue hackers" could be considered offensive based on the hard work that many of these guys are putting in, and I am sure that many of their hacks have forced Apple to release upgrades, change the way they do things, etc.... because there were people out there willing to "Think Different".

No offense to you as well, but as far as jailbreaking/unlocking is concerned, you are a bit misinformed. Go to www.iclarified.com and get a great briefing on the state of unlocking/jailbreaking.

"I don't have an understanding"... whatever. I understand it, but think its stupid and applaud Apple everytime they have update the phone to brick jailbreakers.

I have tried it, my friends have tried is as well and failed... it took all of us forever. People's phones got messes up, people had to restore, it was ugly. Its not simple at all.

Granted we are not total freakin nerds like some other people may be, we do however have some technical knowledge and skill. There are people that can also solve a Rubik's cube in under 2 minutes, but that ain't the average joe.

Why play guerilla warfare with Apple and waste time on such nonsense? Are you that poor that you can't drop $20 for some software you will use?
  • Reply 69 of 74
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    laugh all you want, but your posts show that you don't understand jailbreaking. it's a 3 minute process. ziphone has a GUI that lets you merely click a button and the process does it by itself.

it may have taken you and your friends forever, but that's on you, not the process. you must have done it wrong (which is hard to imagine seeing how simple it is.)

firmware updates don't brick jailbroken iphones.

it's obvious to anyone who does that you don't know what you're talking about. so either inform yourself or move onto a subject where you do have an informed knowledgebase.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

laugh all you want, but your posts show that you don't understand jailbreaking. it's a 3 minute process. ziphone has a GUI that lets you merely click a button and the process does it by itself.

it may have taken you and your friends forever, but that's on you, not the process. you must have done it wrong (which is hard to imagine seeing how simple it is.)

firmware updates don't brick jailbroken iphones.

it's obvious to anyone who does that you don't know what you're talking about. so either inform yourself or move onto a subject where you do have an informed knowledgebase.

We did it close to 2 months ago, before 1.1.3 came out and used iBrickr, which didn't work for any of us. coincidence?

3 minute process? I DON'T CARE IF ITS A 3 SECOND PROCESS. I'm not into modding my damn phone, so I really could care less.

I am informed, just because you read a few freaking articles or posts somewhere doesn't make you a damn authority, so STHU.

I think Jailbreaking is We-Todd-It and I agree with Apples policy and I hope they come up with a way to FRY the freakin illegally jailbroken phones.

Jeez, just let me have my own opinion.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

We did it close to 2 months ago, before 1.1.3 came out and used iBrickr, which didn't work for any of us. coincidence?

3 minute process? I DON'T CARE IF ITS A 3 SECOND PROCESS. I'm not into modding my damn phone, so I really could care less.

I am informed, just because you read a few freaking articles or posts somewhere doesn't make you a damn authority, so STHU.

I think Jailbreaking is We-Todd-It and I agree with Apples policy and I hope they come up with a way to FRY the freakin illegally jailbroken phones.

Jeez, just let me have my own opinion.

I agree you can have your own opinion all you want as this is fair, however when your opinion is incorrect, you will be called on it. By the way, the ZiPhone software to jailbreak and unlock was not out two months ago, so I have not idea what "opinion" you are talking about.

You said illegally jailbroken phone. Can you site the exact law that is transgressed when someone jailbreaks their own iPod or iPhone?
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:

My problem, well actually I really do not have one, but more of a concern is that the SDK will further lock down the iPhone/iPod Touch developer community if they do not tow the Apple party line. Let Apple make money, but let's others Think Different and make the iPhone a really super product.

I'm not a programmer either, but this is the reason I am following the SDK release. I would like to know just how much Apple will lock down the iPhone/Touch apps. I hope that the renting of clothes and gnashing of teeth that is going on is all for nothing. But we will not know until the SDK comes out. This is why I think that the SDK release will be an 'event'. Weather you need to use iTunes to load the apps, or if Apple will provide a iTS storefront ala Podcasts, or if Apple will only allow fully controlled/certified apps, they will need to explain their position and answer many questions. For that they will need an event of some kind.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I'm not a programmer either, but this is the reason I am following the SDK release. I would like to know just how much Apple will lock down the iPhone/Touch apps. I hope that the renting of clothes and gnashing of teeth that is going on is all for nothing. But we will not know until the SDK comes out. This is why I think that the SDK release will be an 'event'. Weather you need to use iTunes to load the apps, or if Apple will provide a iTS storefront ala Podcasts, or if Apple will only allow fully controlled/certified apps, they will need to explain their position and answer many questions. For that they will need an event of some kind.

Hey aresee,

Good points again. I guess I have a pessimistic streak running through me at the moment. I feel that Apple is on the brink of becoming another M$, and I really would not like to see that happening.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rols View Post

What event? The 'big 26th event' myth was debunked within the last week, there never was one. Either way the I'm expcting the release of the iPhone SDK will be the same as all the other developer releases, I'll get an email telling me the new iPhone SDK is available, possibly as part of a new XCode download, that will be it.

Not ready to do the "Tole You So" dance just yet, but I'm getting my leg-warmers on just in case.