Time Capsule to ship; new wireless bill; MacBook Pro benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MacBook Pro Benchmarks

Apple's new line of MacBook Pro notebooks introduced on Tuesday offer marginal performance gains at best when pit against their Fall 2007 predecessors, a series of Geekbench 2 tests conducted by Primate Labs reveal.

"The processor in the new MacBook Pro @ 2.4GHz (T8300) has less L2 cache than processor in the old MacBook Pro @ 2.4GHz (T7700) which explains the slight drop in performance," the software developer said.

"However, when you consider the new MacBook Pro 2.4GHz is the base model, while the old MacBook Pro 2.4GHz was the mid-range model, the small drop in performance comes with a significant reduction in price. Plus, the new Penryn processor uses less energy than the old Merom processor, which means a cooler laptop with increased battery life."

Today I purchased a MacBook Pro @ 2.5GHz and thus far have kept "buyers remorse" at bay.

I'm not surprised at the stats, although I wonder if the Geekbench 2 software incorporates tests with the new SSE4 extensions. Indeed, there is nothing on the developer's web site which mentions specific tests with these extensions.

In any case, there is one set of instructions I'm really interested in. Specifically the instruction which supposedly increases performance of certain video encoding functions by a very significant margin.

http://www.intel.com/technology/arch...ions/index.htm

YipYipYipee
  • Reply 22 of 44
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Quote:

and yet it performs horribly

People on this forums kepp to get crazy. Both new and older MBP perform GREAT. The new "base" model is a little slower than the old 15" top. And this is great.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Time capsule to ship by end of Feb???

Feb 19, 2008 at 06:41 PM GMT - Order number XXXXXXXX View order details

Not yet shipped

Estimated Shipping: 18 Mar, 2008

Estimated Delivery: 20 Mar, 2008

Product\t \tQty.

TIME CAPSULE 1TB-GBR

\t1
  • Reply 24 of 44
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    time capsule is simply overpriced. i just bought a 1 TB NAS drive from lacie for only $280. granted, its not wireless, but offers a built in ftp and media server which work even when no computers are running.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmcdivitt View Post

these numbers are fairly disappointing.

Fairly?

They are 4 to 6% improvements. This is what you laptop lovers were waiting for?

Sad.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

time capsule is simply overpriced. i just bought a 1 TB NAS drive from lacie for only $280. granted, its not wireless, but offers a built in ftp and media server which work even when no computers are running.

I'd like to know how that works out for you if it's attached to AEBS (N). I had a simple drive connected to the USB port of the AEBS and had too much trouble with it, had to reboot the BS and drive, even with the 10.5.2 update. It did seem to get better with the last update but not completely right, in my experience.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

You are comparing apples with oranges.

By the way, what does it do when it is connected to computers that are not running?

Interesting blog: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=437876
  • Reply 28 of 44
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I'd like to know how that works out for you if it's attached to AEBS (N). I had a simple drive connected to the USB port of the AEBS and had too much trouble with it, had to reboot the BS and drive, even with the 10.5.2 update. It did seem to get better with the last update but not completely right, in my experience.

its obviously a network drive, connected to the router. its not intended to be connected via usb to the AE. but i might try it out just to see what happens when i have a chance.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fruiteatingbear View Post

Time capsule to ship by end of Feb???

Feb 19, 2008 at 06:41 PM GMT - Order number XXXXXXXX View order details

Not yet shipped

Estimated Shipping: 18 Mar, 2008

Estimated Delivery: 20 Mar, 2008

Product\t \tQty.

TIME CAPSULE 1TB-GBR

\t1

Yep. Apple started shipping on Tuesday.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Now price an 802.11n router with 1000BASE-T. Also, the HDD in Time Capsule is server class, those cost more than your typical drives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Yep. Apple started shipping on Tuesday.

I'm guessing he wasn't the first out of the gate to buy one online. I know my iPhone took an extra 8 days to arrive because I ordered 3.5 hours after they went on sale.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Yeah, I'll second that, but won't hold my breath, they are forcing people into their solution, it appears...

Oh I live in hope ... But as you know, it WAS their solution for a brief period in history ... all the parts I bought were from Apple and they had on their web site it would work ... all we needed was Leopard. I purchased in good faith, AE & 500 GB drive. Only upon release of Leopard did they remove the information from the web where it stated it would work. So I think there is a moral obligation here

But since then I got an 8 Core Xeon MacPro (8800 still on back order) and so now I'd need something bigger and faster anyway. So all I need now is a cheap 10 TB drive with FireWire 16: Amazing to think how proud I was of my 5 MB fiber optic, networked Symbiotic External HD on my Apple 2 network

p.s. I would have written Apple ] (and other square bracket) but several keys on this old iBook are not working since Leopard and the other square bracket is one of them
  • Reply 32 of 44
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

p.s. I would have written Apple ] (and other square bracket) but several keys on this old iBook are not working since Leopard and the other square bracket is one of them

That's a bit random. If you really need a particular character that you can't type, you can always use the system-wide "Character Palette", available in the "keyboard layout" menu extra (appears as a flag symbol in the top right of the menu-bar if you've enabled it via the "input menu" tab of the "international" pane of system preferences (assuming it hasn't moved in Leopard).
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That's a bit random. If you really need a particular character that you can't type, you can always use the system-wide "Character Palette", available in the "keyboard layout" menu extra (appears as a flag symbol in the top right of the menu-bar if you've enabled it via the "input menu" tab of the "international" pane of system preferences (assuming it hasn't moved in Leopard).

Thanks ... lot of work though lol. Yes it may be coincidence I suppose and nothing to do with Leopard. I have lost about 5 keys, all down the right side including left and right arrow.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Thanks ... lot of work though lol. Yes it may be coincidence I suppose and nothing to do with Leopard. I have lost about 5 keys, all down the right side including left and right arrow.

Have you taken it apart before? I've had similar issues with a couple notebooks when I was unable to insert the keyboard's ribbon cable correctly. Is there a tool for that because I've found it to be very difficult insert.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you taken it apart before? I've had similar issues with a couple notebooks when I was unable to insert the keyboard's ribbon cable correctly. Is there a tool for that because I've found it to be very difficult insert.

No I haven't, worth a try for sure, I love my iBook. Thanks ... Anyone got the link to the 'how to page' with pictures preferably ?
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

No I haven't, worth a try for sure, I love my iBook. Thanks ... Anyone got the link to the 'how to page' with pictures preferably ?

iFixit has comprehensive guides.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    It would be nice to see if SSE4 works ok on 10.5.2. ¿Anyone?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

It would be nice to see if SSE4 works ok on 10.5.2. ¿Anyone?

I've been informed that SSE4 utilization needs to be worked into the programs themselves, not the OS.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've been informed that SSE4 utilization needs to be worked into the programs themselves, not the OS.

Indeed, the OS cannot speed-up other programs. But it can itself make use of new technologies. There are varies parts of the OS that would benefit from using SSE4, and plenty of bundled apps that would benefit from using it (iLife and QuickTime, in particular)
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

this is infact dissapointing. Its only $100 cheaper between the 2.4GHZ SR and 2.4GHZ BASE MODEL.. and yet it performs horribly. I just canceled my order and bought the SR MBP.

$100? The 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Merom MBP (mid-range-model) was $2,499 while the 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Penryn MBP (base-model) is only $1,999. While the performance is ever so slightly slower you get a better GPU, multi-touch trackpad, better battery life and the future-forward SS4 for $500 less. Not a bad deal.