Time Capsule to ship; new wireless bill; MacBook Pro benchmarks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

$100? The 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Merom MBP (mid-range-model) was $2,499 while the 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Penryn MBP (base-model) is only $1,999. While the performance is ever so slightly slower you get a better GPU, multi-touch trackpad, better battery life and the future-forward SS4 for $500 less. Not a bad deal.

Maybe he's talking about the $100 difference between the $1,899 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Merom MBP (mid-range-model) in the Apple clearance store, vs. the new $1,999 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Penryn MBP (base-model)?

Honestly, one thing I agree with is that I can't remember a time when Intel pushed manufacturers into processors that were slower (by however much) than their predecessors. Even if Apple *is* making it a better deal otherwise.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Honestly, one thing I agree with is that I can't remember a time when Intel pushed manufacturers into processors that were slower (by however much) than their predecessors. Even if Apple *is* making it a better deal otherwise.

Price-over-price the chips are faster and run cooler/use less power.

The 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Penryn w/ 3MB L2 Cache & 800MHz FSB is being sold at the same unit price as the previous 2.2GHz Santa Rosa/Merom w/ 4MB L2 Cache & 800MHz FSB.

GHz-over-GHz that 25% reduction in L2 Cache is having small effect, but does it matter since the price of the chip is now considerably cheaper?
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Price-over-price the chips are faster and run cooler/use less power.

The 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/Penryn w/ 3MB L2 Cache & 800MHz FSB is being sold at the same unit price as the previous 2.2GHz Santa Rosa/Merom w/ 4MB L2 Cache & 800MHz FSB.

GHz-over-GHz that 25% reduction in L2 Cache is having small effect, but does it matter since the price of the chip is now considerably cheaper?

Sol, as you may already be aware, AnandTech has a complete review and benchmark testing article on the new MacBook and MacBook Pro models. If not you can find it here:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3246

Anand did the review and tests personally. He has some interesting conclusions. Indeed, there is one major reason I'm glad I went for an MBP vs a MB. The LCD panel.

Read the article to learn more.

YipYipYipee
  • Reply 44 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YipYipYipee View Post

Sol, as you may already be aware, AnandTech has a complete review and benchmark testing article on the new MacBook and MacBook Pro models. If not you can find it here:

Thanks, I read it last night. It's very enlightening.

The power savings are more impressive than I would have guessed. The info about the tick and tock cycles is a new metaphor for me.