?45 - 175 mins, 100 texts, 1GB data

?65 - 350 mins, 150 texts. 1GB data

?100 - 700 mins, 250 texts, 1GB data

NO visual voicemail, NO wifi hotspot access

UK:

£35 (~?47) - 600 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

£45 (~?60) - 1200 mins, 500 text, unlimited data

£75 (~?100) - 3000 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

Visual voicemail, access to UK-wide wifi hotspots.

IMHO, a total ripoff! Once again, the Irish consumer is getting a raw deal!

It?s well known that iphone sales have been poor in the UK because of the cost of the iphone itself and the mandatory 18-month contract adding up to a considerable outlay over the course of the contract. The o2 UK tariffs above are an improvement on what was originally on offer at the time of the UK launch.

In addition, a 3G version is expected later this year, which makes me suspect that the handsets are being ?dumped? in the Irish market. The story above, ?UBS: Infineon chip to power 3G iPhone, coming mid-year ? the current EDGE iPhone platform is being ramped down earlier than expected to ?clean? inventories.? would appear to confirm this.

Irish consumers are happy to put up with bad value and if they?re unhappy, they simply grumble and don?t complain. The Irish mobile market is a real cash cow for the Irish arm of the o2 group. Value for money is not a phrase that Irish mobile companies are familiar with.

ok I am now going to wait for the pricing to be revised because thats just plain crazy
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liamc View Post

Ireland:

?45 - 175 mins, 100 texts, 1GB data

?65 - 350 mins, 150 texts. 1GB data

?100 - 700 mins, 250 texts, 1GB data

NO visual voicemail, NO wifi hotspot access

UK:

£35 (~?47) - 600 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

£45 (~?60) - 1200 mins, 500 text, unlimited data

£75 (~?100) - 3000 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

Visual voicemail, access to UK-wide wifi hotspots.

MY money is staying in MY pocket.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    kyb0shkyb0sh Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eirpod View Post

Definatly

One reason Ireland may have been chosen as the next market? Google... Google have their European HQ in Dublin, so with the iPhone developers kit being launched in a few weeks and the already progressive Apple / Google partnership, Ireland and Dublin in particular seems a good play ground for the iPhone, but only if are not picking up the bill.

Never mind Google. Apple's Euro HQ is in Cork. Think of ALL the high level execs at Apple here who cannot use their latest and greatest product.

I for one, was also looking forward to the release of the iPhone here in Ireland. However there is absolutely no way I am going to be fleeced by o2. We are being shorted on all aspects of the o2 service compared to what they offer in the UK: talk time, texts, data and of course visual voicemail. Hopefully people will protest by not buying in to this rip-off (although I think it's not likely).
  • Reply 64 of 66
    istoreistore Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyb0sh View Post

Never mind Google. Apple's Euro HQ is in Cork. Think of ALL the high level execs at Apple here who cannot use their latest and greatest product.

I for one, was also looking forward to the release of the iPhone here in Ireland. However there is absolutely no way I am going to be fleeced by o2. We are being shorted on all aspects of the o2 service compared to what they offer in the UK: talk time, texts, data and of course visual voicemail. Hopefully people will protest by not buying in to this rip-off (although I think it's not likely).

you guys are forgetting one minor detail -

o2 ireland & o2 UK are two totally separate companies, One does not have to be on a par with the other, only with their respective competitors in their own territories, I've been told that the pricing will more than likely not change but in comparrison to the likes of vodafone IE and Meteor they are quite compeditive

in sort we are getting a good deal, as far as the IRISH market goes
  • Reply 65 of 66
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Time for you to move to the UK.

What's going on? We're supposed to be Rip-Off Britain... we can't have Apple things for cheaper than other countries! I don't know what to believe any more.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    istoreistore Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

What's going on? We're supposed to be Rip-Off Britain... we can't have Apple things for cheaper than other countries! I don't know what to believe any more.

isn't it obvious we're ALL getting screed