Apple jobs: carbon composites, iPhone cameras, MacBook design

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As always, Apple is expanding its workforce; new postings, however, suggest that the company is investigating a return to carbon elements in its computers, expanding the iPhone's camera functionality, and prepping for the next generation of MacBooks.

Senior Carbon Composite Engineer

Apple may be making a return to the use of carbon composites in its products, according to a new job listing for an experienced carbon composites engineer.

Poised to work at Apple's Cupertino, California main campus, the engineer would help develop new parts out of carbon and function as the Mac maker's primary carbon materials expert -- including the chief advisor on when and how to use composites in new products.

While Apple is not specific as to the nature of any products it might make using carbon, the posting is unusual for the company and recalls the company's past experience in notebook design. Long-term Mac veterans will remember that the original, titanium PowerBook G4 used carbon composites for its supporting framework to maintain a stiff design without significantly affecting weight.

Current MacBooks are not known to use carbon framing or outer shells.

iPhone Photo and Camera Apps Developer

Not content with the relatively basic camera and photo management software on today's iPhone, Apple is searching for a developer at its main campus to bring both capturing and browsing imagery "to the next level," a recent posting says.

In addition to experience with the needed operating system skills, the role would also need experience with manipulating images and camera metadata, such as the EXIF tags that reveal information about the hardware and settings used to take photos.

As of the present day, the camera on the iPhone is limited to capturing still photos without zoom or flash, and allows users to browse photos as well as e-mail them or set them as wallpaper.

MacBook Hardware Design Engineer

The most far-reaching of Apple's more recent job postings, listed at the start of this month, seeks a design engineer to help produce the "next generation" of the company's MacBook line.

The designer would primarily be responsible for nurturing the creation of the portables from their very conceptual beginnings to the final production stage, and would address virtually every aspect of the systems from board layouts to heat concerns and power use.

Apple has listed multiple jobs for MacBook design engineers since October, suggesting a renewed concentration on the design of the company's computers. However, most previous postings before now have been more specialized and focused on specific stages of development rather than the entire platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Finally an update to the photo skills on the phone!!!
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Interesting ... based on these job postings I would think MacWorld 2009 may be the perfect venue to launch a redesigned MacBook.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    iBike!!
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Hmm, if they are looking for experts in composites, they should look for bicycle engineers. This peoples has manage to create strong lightweight bikes.

Hmm, I wonder if MacWorld 09 will introduce new MacBook (it is possible though, its in January rite?)
  • Reply 5 of 44
    and good time for some one new to say $1500 for on board video that uses system ram is a joke next to other systems ati is working on haveing low end on board video with it's own ram.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Interesting ... based on these job postings I would think MacWorld 2009 may be the perfect venue to launch a redesigned MacBook.

I was thinking exactly the opposite.

If they are still trying to hire the person to do the design, there is no way we will see any new design for the book, no carbon based products, and no real changes to camera technology anytime in the next 12 months.

That of course would mean, these hirings would not produce anything by Macworld.

This is not to say they haven't got neat stuff in the pipeline, just that the things they are looking for can't be pulled together that fast if you're still trying to hire.....
  • Reply 7 of 44
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Just out curiousity where do you find these postings?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Apple may be making a return to the use of carbon composites in its products, according to a new job listing for an experienced carbon composites engineer.

When has Apple ever used carbon composites in its products? I've followed Apple for years (first Mac = 128K Mac) and I don't recall them ever using carbon anything.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

If they are still trying to hire the person to do the design, there is no way we will see any new design for the book, no carbon based products, and no real changes to camera technology anytime in the next 12 months.

To the extent that they are not already working on these projects and will only ever have

one person working on each project, you may be correct.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Carbon frameworks?! AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!

Oh, wait, they literally mean carbon, like the element, not the enemy of Cocoa? Oh, that's a whole 'nother thing. <emilylitella>Never mind.</emilylitella>

I hope they put down as one of the benefits of becoming the iPhone camera engineer: the everlasting gratitude of macFanDave (at least) and being regarded as a hero! If the camera were just a DECENT 2MP camera, it would add another dimension of brilliance to the iPhone.

Sure, working for Apple would be great . . . salary, benefits, et cetera, et cetera, but the opportunity to become one of macFanDave's personal heroes? That's special!

PS: If you feel the same about the sub-mediocrity of the iPhone camera, I will hope you will also express your feelings about how this person can meaningfully improve your life.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gruth View Post

When has Apple ever used carbon composites in its products? I've followed Apple for years (first Mac = 128K Mac) and I don't recall them ever using carbon anything.

Psst. Everybody that works there is carbon-based!
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Is it me or should they have hired a few of these people awhile ago...it seems like they are behind the curve a bit. The MacBook Pro/Powerbook design, while still functional is 5-years-old. To me, it makes Apple seem a little less nimble than they use to be when it came to their product design. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't make me want to rush out and buy a Dell or HP or anything but it's just a mere observation....
  • Reply 13 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Hmm, if they are looking for experts in composites, they should look for bicycle engineers. This peoples has manage to create strong lightweight bikes.

There's a fundemental difference that might be a stumbling block tough, bikes are mostly tubular and curved, whereas notebook shells & frames are quite flat with some ridges on the edges. There was a discussion on carbon fiber computer parts a while back. There was some question as to whether carbon fiber can be mass produced at a worthwhile cost vs. other light materials when made in the millions of units. CF is almost ideal for low production stuff, it has a very low cost of entry relative to many other production techniques, but it is relatively complicated and tedious when compared typical higher volume production techniques.

Quote:

Hmm, I wonder if MacWorld 09 will introduce new MacBook (it is possible though, its in January rite?)

Product design cycles are probably too long for that if they're starting the project with this person.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gruth View Post

From the article:

"Long-term Mac veterans will remember that the original, titanium PowerBook G4 used carbon composites for its supporting framework to maintain a stiff design without significantly affecting weight."

I can't say I've heard of this myself, it would seem to be something they'd promote, maybe they wanted to promote the titanium part exclusively.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Just out curiousity where do you find these postings?

http://www.apple.com/jobs/
  • Reply 15 of 44
    markmark Posts: 143member
    I am dumb. What are carbon composites, exactly?
  • Reply 16 of 44
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    What Apple should do is a true pocket handheld computer like this, but better: OQO model e2

http://www.oqo.com
  • Reply 17 of 44
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I am dumb. What are carbon composites, exactly?

A composite material is made up of at least two parts--rather than a single material, such as steel or aluminum (at the macroscopic level). Typically, a fiber (such as carbon) is embedded in a matrix material (such as epoxy). In high performance applications, structures are built up in layers. The fibers are oriented in such a way that strength and stiffness can be optimized for each particular use. Composite structures can be significantly lighter than metal parts designed for the same conditions. The aerospace industry was the main developer of composites for this reason. They're used in many different areas now, which has helped bring the high cost down over the years.

Fiberglass is another type of composite material. The fiberglass you've seen in boats and Corvette bodies is not built up in layers, but made of chopped fibers in an epoxy matrix. This is much cheaper to make, but not as strong/stiff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_material
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

A composite material is made up of at least two parts--rather than a single material, such as steel or aluminum (at the macroscopic level). Typically, a fiber (such as carbon) is embedded in a matrix material (such as epoxy). In high performance applications, structures are built up in layers. The fibers are oriented in such a way that strength and stiffness can be optimized for each particular use. Composite structures can be significantly lighter than metal parts designed for the same conditions. The aerospace industry was the main developer of composites for this reason. They're used in many different areas now, which has helped bring the high cost down over the years.

Fiberglass is another type of composite material. The fiberglass you've seen in boats and Corvette bodies is not built up in layers, but made of chopped fibers in an epoxy matrix. This is much cheaper to make, but not as strong/stiff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_material

Carbon fiber?? hire sony or acer ppl..
  • Reply 19 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

I just had to point out an inaccuracy here. Your better boats are very much made up of layers of fiber glass or carbon fiber. For many of the reasons you mentioned. Interestingly there are a number of approaches to getting this done too. The most common being the laying of fiber matts or rolls of cloth into a female mold of the hull.

This doesn't stop the use of chopper glass in the hull but the structural components are often built with the traditional layer approach with the layers carefully optimized for strength.

Just had to point this out as I've been looking at boat construction for some time.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 44
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

Carbon fiber?? hire sony or acer ppl..

Not the best material to use for computer casings.