Steve Jobs pans Flash on the iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by <2cents View Post

Screw Flash. In fact, can someone recommend a good way to disable Flash in Safari?

Use SafariPlus -> http://web.mac.com/jrc/SafariPlus/

You'll be amazed at how fast web pages load when you block all Flash crap.
  • Reply 42 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Apple needs to get Quicktime streaming to work on the iPhone. As of now, you can´t see live video feeds. You should be able to see Macworld Expo live on the iPhone.

You really think that EDGE has the bandwidth for streaming?
  • Reply 43 of 160
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

While I understand the need of some to get their fill of battery sucking, animated ads on their iPhone, I must object to defining 'full internet experience' as obligatory support of proprietary extensions.

Last time I looked, Flash was not an open, internet standard and doesn't get to define what the 'full internet experience' is any more than ActiveX components did.

The most common reason people dislike Flash is because of the ads. Flash is a great tool and when used appropriately can deliver an unmatched quality of interactive content. But because advertisers and developers mostly ignore the 'appropriate' part, I think it makes sense to block it from the iPhone.

Yes, while I am a Flash developer, I believe that one should always choose the right tool for each particular job - and for iPhone, Flash isn't it. Therefore, to avoid a broken plug-in icon where your Flash is supposed to be, detect iPhone or 'no Flash' installed and offer alternate content. Sure, it is more effort, but since touch screen has no hover state, it isn't like your Flash apps would work in that environment anyway.
  • Reply 44 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

While I understand the need of some to get their fill of battery sucking, animated ads on their iPhone, I must object to defining 'full internet experience' as obligatory support of proprietary extensions.

Last time I looked, Flash was not an open, internet standard and doesn't get to define what the 'full internet experience' is any more than ActiveX components did.

STANDING OVATION!!!
  • Reply 45 of 160
    Jobs does not allow someone else to define what is needed on the iPhone.

Remember the first NeXT didn't need more than 4 gray scales?

Flash 5 could be run on the archetype of the iPod Touch the Sony Clie introduced in 2004

http://handheld.softpedia.com/device...TH55-208.shtml
  • Reply 46 of 160
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Use SafariPlus -> http://web.mac.com/jrc/SafariPlus/

You'll be amazed at how fast web pages load when you block all Flash crap.

Well to be fair, it isn't always Flash's fault. Because most ads are being delivered from a third party host, many times the slow down is simply due to latency in connecting to the remote server. The ads are crap, not Flash. It is really the developers who deserve the criticism. Flash is just a tool like a video camera is a tool. The content may offend you but it is not the fault of the tool.
  • Reply 47 of 160
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

This is not necessarily true.

Adobe Flash, like most modern desktop software, is a horribly bloated, convoluted, memory-leaking, CPU-hogging piece of crap.

I seem to recall having a 300 MHz G3 with 192 MiB of RAM (in 1999) that ran Macromedia Flash just fine. The iPhone's processor runs at 600 MHz and has 1 GiB of RAM.

What exactly has been added to flash since 1999, functionality wise? The only significant thing I can think of is H.264 support, and the iPhone is clearly capable of handling H.264.

So actually, Adobe really should focus on streamlining and optimising Flash. It is possible to make full-blooded Flash work on the iPhone, they'd just have to make the underlying architecture "not shit (TM)". Of course, this would benefit desktop users as well as iPhone users. I guess the problem is that Adobe would have to hire decent software programmers, and it seems like there's probably only 3 in the entire world.

It doesn't really matter if Adobe goes about changing the Flash plug. Streamlining it, etc. If the majority of pre-existing Flash content isn't updated to run on it, it won't work on the iPhone anyway.

And interface issues with touch screen as opposed to keyboard and mouse would make most interactive Flash content unusable regardless. Apple is so much better off just running away from this proprietary technology. HTML 5 is definitely the way to go.

Between Apple and Google moving away from Flash, I wouldn't be surprised if Flash disappears altogether in another five years. It's never going to run correctly on mobile devices, and mobile devices are where the future of the Internet is.
  • Reply 48 of 160
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    How do portable devices like the Nokia N810 Internet tablet and Archos 605 video player manage to run full Flash, videos and all?
  • Reply 49 of 160
    Seriously, there is so much overlap and potential for synergy that apple should just buy Adobe. They have been competing for ages: aperture vs. lightroom, flash vs QT, etc. Apple needs more software engineers & designers who do exactly what Adobe engineers do. especially in the face of silverlight, apple and adobe should work together or merge to prevent microsoft further proprietizing the internet.
  • Reply 50 of 160
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by datasmid View Post

Jobs does not allow someone else to define what is needed on the iPhone.

Remember the first NeXT didn't need more than 4 gray scales?

Flash 5 could be run on the archetype of the iPod Touch the Sony Clie introduced in 2004

http://handheld.softpedia.com/device...TH55-208.shtml

That's great, but we're on Flash 9 now. There's a whole lot of bloat between 5 and 9. Plus, again, considering that most interactive Flash pieces are based on mouse and keyboard interaction, the majority of Flash content won't work on the iPhone, anyway. Even if it did work, technically, the user experience would be lacking at best.
  • Reply 51 of 160
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

This article is an example of what AppleInsider does best - explaining technical matters in a way that non-techy people such as myself can understand. Good stuff!

Or from the "techy" point of view, they write things in a way that makes "techies" wonder if they have a clue what the heck they're talking about.
  • Reply 52 of 160
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

You really think that EDGE has the bandwidth for streaming?

Depends on what level of streaming. I look at YouTUBE content all the time on EDGE - no problem. So yes, it does.
  • Reply 53 of 160
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    And we can all rejoice on the no Flash in the near future.

Given a reasonable SDK, I've sure we'll see some form of lightweight Java application support (even if it's just a CDC runtime) in the not so distant future. Applets are probably less likely. Ideally, I'd like to see a nice J2ME CDC implementation which lets you develop apps that look and work just like any other iPhone/iPod touch app, but I'm sure that's a little further down the road.
  • Reply 54 of 160
    This article is off the way of the mark in its Flash representation.

Many of the comments on this article are littered with made up, self serving and mis-informed dribble!

Flash is very useful for very many people on and off the browser! simple as that...let's not confuse the real issues here, Apple wants more of the application pie and does not want to share with anyone (Adobe, Sun, Microsoft,Google)

Please keep to the facts and understand the technologies your slating.
  • Reply 55 of 160
    flynifrflynifr Posts: 4member
    Sorry but Flash is not all about games and videos. My hospital has free WiFi throughout but to access it you must go through their homepage and agree to the terms of use. They use Flash on the page so the page will not display and there is no way to accept the terms of use, therefore no free WiFi!

I also ran into this in a local coffee house that uses Flash to display a few ads before letting you on to their free WiFi. It's probably how they pay the bill.
  • Reply 56 of 160
    Flash works on the Chumby with a touchscreen.

Chumby specs....

3.5" LCD color touchscreen

350 MHz ARM processor

64 MB SDRAM

64 MB NAND flash ROM

I would think the iPhone should be able to do it.
  • Reply 57 of 160
    Maybe Apple is using Microsoft's Silverlight as a bargaining chip against Adobe in lieu of Flash. In exchange for an iPhone build of Silverlight Microsoft opens up their Exchange client for enterprise.

Actually Apple probably wants it to be an all QuickTime world. If everything goes QuickTime then that would help not just the iPhone but AppleTV and future products.
  • Reply 58 of 160
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Last word on the slightly OT apostrophe business:

..its' a wonder you're brain does' nt explode.

• Reply 59 of 160
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    as a flash developer among other things, i could not give a monkeys is flash gets ported to iphone. good riddance. i loved macromedia. and i have hated adobe products since they ever existed, utter illogical rubbish UI and sluggish developers. i hope they naff off.

The future of the web is non proprietary. and please dont tell me apple is the worst offender of proprietary tech, as u will just look bloody stupid . (to me anyway)
  • Reply 60 of 160
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flynifr View Post

Sorry but Flash is not all about games and videos. My hospital has free WiFi throughout but to access it you must go through their homepage and agree to the terms of use. They use Flash on the page so the page will not display and there is no way to accept the terms of use, therefore no free WiFi!

I also ran into this in a local coffee house that uses Flash to display a few ads before letting you on to their free WiFi. It's probably how they pay the bill.

Adobe's store has to be about the worst implementation of Flash imaginable.